No announcement yet.

Can't connect to Google in Online Accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have two other machines both running Linux Mint Cinnamon and both are signed into Google with no problems. Mint is based on the same *buntu LTS version as Neon.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Beerislife; Aug 26, 2023, 07:50 PM.
    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

versions can be deceiving, especially with code built from git pulls as opposed to formal releases (which there really haven't been any for some time)
      Also, using the old source (Launchpad) instead of the current and active (-ish) git repo

The fedora/RH bug has someone who rebuilt this by essentially switching the source url for the package buill to the newer code location, and reports that it may be working. I haven't tested it on my Fedora laptop because it is Kinoite (aka Silverblue KDE), and this sort of thing is still a bit of pita. (ie the COPR repo for this doesn't install the new version, and I am too busy/lazy to dig any deeper, lolol)

One could just set up an app password in Google, I imagine, for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
        Mint is based on the same *buntu LTS version as Neon.
        because they are likely not using the same signon system, probably using Gnome's.

Comment

neon built updated signon-ui packages to replace the broken on from Ubuntu.
          I think Fedora may have it fixed as well.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            neon built updated signon-ui packages to replace the broken on from Ubuntu.
            I think Fedora may have it fixed as well.
            Yup, noticed that this morning after an update! It's good to be able to access my Drive account again without firing up Chrome!
            Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

I’m just a newcomer on kubuntu 23.04 and can’t log in to my google account from system settings.

I’ve been searching all around and it seems nobody feels it’s worth solving this issue or just blames the distro or the desktop, each maintainer blames the other one.

On the main pages of each website (kubuntu and kde) they list all features and advantages of using their products, but at any complain referencing this issue, it’s easy to find someone shouting " this is an open source volunteer project and you don’t have the right to complain .

This topic isn’t solved -at all- at least on my distro, and is marked here as a fault on kde based on -I can’t understand- some kind of deep technical issue as gnome version of ubuntu works flawlessly. and kde blames it on kubuntu maintainers.

I’ve lost all hope to get a solution or workaround, at least for those users -like me- that aren’t used to the subtle details of the Linux language, but I feel a little bit released after writing this -useless to anyone else- post.

Thanks for reading and “wellfound” to anyone on this forum.
              Joey.​

Comment

The distro's that still have this issue need to update signon-ui.
                Neon has done that.

Ubuntu has not. They created this code, originally and still package the old stuff
                https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...i/+bug/2036333.

Like it or not, we can sometimes be at the mercy of those volunteers and community bureaucracies.

I think that using an app password in Google may still work. Google has broken authentication often over the years, unfortunately, so this has been a workaround in the past.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment...g_with_google/

Comment

Working...
                X