This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can No Longer Mount or Access USB Storage On Router

I hope this is posted in the correct place. Move if needed. Also, sorry for the length.

In November of 2014, with the help of this forum, I set up an Asus RT-N66U router configured as an access point in one building which is wire networked to a DSL modem/router in another building. I attached a USB drive to the Asus router and share files across the network. This has worked with a few minor hiccups until a couple of days ago. My current computers: office, running Kubuntu 17.04 (now out of support, it also has a Mint 18 install and a KDE Neon install) and primary laptop, running KDE Neon.

Fstab entry on both computers
    //rt-n66u-8060/Storage /media/LAN_WD cifs username=XXX,password=YYY

Upon a fresh restart of either computer I have to run in Konsole: sudo mount /media/LAN_WD
    Then files can be accessed back and forth from Dolphin or applications.
    Two days ago I updated the firmware in the router as well as updates in KDE Neon. Then I noticed that I could no longer mount the USB drive on my KDE Neon laptop.

rob@rob-UX303UB:~$ sudo mount /media/LAN_WD
    mount error(112): Host is down
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

POINT OF INTEREST: At first I thought the problem was the router update, but I don’t think so now. The Kubuntu 17.04 machine can still mount the USB drive on the router and access files. Windows 7 on that machine (multi-boot) can do the same. Windows 10 on the primary laptop (multi-boot) can do the same. In fact, until I get this figured out I will have to run Windows.

I have spent several hours reading, but I don’t really understand networking. For what it is worth:
    rob@rob-UX303UB:~$ smbclient -L 192.168.123.91 -U%
    WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.33]

Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    ipc$ IPC IPC Service (RT-N66U-8060)
    Users Disk Data_USB's Users in WD 10EAVS External
    VBox Disk Data_USB's VBox in WD 10EAVS External
    Storage Disk Data_USB's Storage in WD 10EAVS External
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.33]

Server Comment
    --------- -------
    EPSON-WP4530
    LAPTOP-O19IJVAE
    ROB-KUBUNTU rob-Kubuntu server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    ROB-UX303UB rob-UX303UB server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    RT-N66U-8060 RT-N66U-8060
    WIN10VB1

Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    WORKGROUP RT-N66U-8060

FURTHER POINT: When I try to gain access to the files via Dolphin > Network, I can see the USB Drive on the router but it will not accept the Name and Password authentication. Windows 7 just did.

I am convinced that something changed in a Kubuntu/Ubuntu update. I just don’t know how to fix it. Also Kubuntu 18.04 is still almost 2 months out. I hope it will work like 17.04. Mint 18 never worked.
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal
    Asus UX303U Laptop: i7-6500U 2.5GHz; 12GB RAM; 3200x1800
    HP Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G; 16GB RAM; 3840x2160, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060​

I've moved this thread to here. But, do bear in mind that you are running a version of Kubuntu that is EOL (End of Life) and no longer receives any official support, or for that matter, any updates.

I'm going to allow this thread to stay open, but please, do not post any other requests for help with your EOL installation. If I'm sounding harsh, I don't mean to, but no one can be expected to continue supporting versions of Kubuntu that have reached their end of life.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Could be a version issue. Try adding:

vers=1.0

to your fstab line options.

BTW, I assume you know by adding "auto" to your option, you won't have to mount manually after every boot.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        I've moved this thread to here. But, do bear in mind that you are running a version of Kubuntu that is EOL (End of Life) and no longer receives any official support, or for that matter, any updates.

I'm going to allow this thread to stay open, but please, do not post any other requests for help with your EOL installation. If I'm sounding harsh, I don't mean to, but no one can be expected to continue supporting versions of Kubuntu that have reached their end of life.
        By my read, he's saying his 17.04 install works but not his KDEneon install. Unless I read it wrong, of course...

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for both replies. Oshunluvr is correct. The problem is with KDEneon/Kubuntu 16.04, which is why I put it in the 16.04 networking forum. But, no, Snowhog, I do understand your point. If 17.04 was still supported the update may have killed it, also.

I will try adding vers=1.0 to fstab. And I SHOULD have know about auto ;-)
          "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Comment

Normally, in fstab, you'll see "defaults" in options which includes the "auto" option. I also use "noauto,user" for some I don't want to mount at boot but want to be more easily mounted by me or a script. The "user" option allows any user to mount it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks oshunluvr, it DID work and now I am back in Linux AND can replace 17.04 on my office machine with KDE neon (actually it is already on it).

If I could ask another favor: how would you write the fstab entry? This is the one that worked, but it did not mount automatically and I mounted on konsole, but it did work.
              //rt-n66u-8060/Storage /media/LAN_WD cifs auto,vers=1.0,username=XXX,password=YYY

Interesting aside, I remember now that I did not always want it mounted because when it was mounted it would lock up shutting down. But with vers=1.0 in the fstab it shut right down ... at least the one time I have done it.

Also, what does vers=1.0 refer to? A samba version?

Comment

Originally posted by okie2003 View Post
                But, no, Snowhog, I do understand your point. If 17.04 was still supported the update may have killed it, also.
                Apologies. I misread your post. I 'thought' you were having this issue on 17.04, but I read it again, and you clearly state it's a problem on your KDEneon. I've moved this thread again to KDE neon.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No worries, Snowhog. Thanks for your work.

Comment

Found this here https://www.linux.com/blog/2017/9/li...-dont-use-smb1

"Linus Torvalds pushed out version 4.13 of the Linux Kernel on Sunday, right on schedule and almost exactly two months after 4.12.

"Among all the changes, Torvalds highlights the one concerning the implementation of the SMB protocol in the kernel: The CIFS behavior in kernel 4.13 defaults to SMB3 as opposed to SMB1, which was the default in previous kernels.

"SMB is a protocol used to access and share files, printers, and other services over a network, and the reason for the switch is that SMB 1 has aged horribly and is rife with vulnerabilities. The number of servers that still use it was one of the reasons the WannaCry ransomware spread like wildfire back in May. However, SMB1 is still accessible from kernel 4.13 for those that really, really have to use it. If you can't make the change (although you are highly encouraged to find a way to do so), you may need to add an explicit 'vers=1.0' to your mount options in your /etc/fstab file."

Makes me wonder what the long term solution is.

Comment

Yes, "vers=1.0" refers to the samba version. My suspicion was your router is using an older version of samba, which appears correct.

I can't say why it's not mounting. Everything I know says it should be. It's probably because samba is starting after fstab is read. The easiest work-around is to mount it in a login script. You are correct that sometime network shares can stall a boot up or shutdown so maybe you're better off not mounting it that way. I don't mount any samba shares using fstab. I just use Dolphin to access them when needed. My primary network shares use NFS instead of SAMBA.

I don't know if you care, but you can download and install a better OS for your router here. It's faster and has more and improved features than the factory version. I've been using Merlin's firmware since I bought my RT-AC66U and I can highly recommend it. It's free but I regularly donate to the developer.

ALSO: Let me say thank you for forming a good post at the beginning of this thread. Too often people leave out needed details and don't mention what they've tried. Your post was spot-on.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by okie2003 View Post
                        Found this here https://www.linux.com/blog/2017/9/li...-dont-use-smb1

"Linus Torvalds pushed out version 4.13 of the Linux Kernel on Sunday, right on schedule and almost exactly two months after 4.12.

"SMB is a protocol used to access and share files, printers, and other services over a network, and the reason for the switch is that SMB 1 has aged horribly and is rife with vulnerabilities. The number of servers that still use it was one of the reasons the WannaCry ransomware spread like wildfire back in May. However, SMB1 is still accessible from kernel 4.13 for those that really, really have to use it. If you can't make the change (although you are highly encouraged to find a way to do so), you may need to add an explicit 'vers=1.0' to your mount options in your /etc/fstab file."

Makes me wonder what the long term solution is.
                        Given Intel's monsterous security hole in their CPU I wonder if any other holes matter.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                        X