• Show
Clear All

• Qqmike
    replied
    Thanks for the report, MoonRise. 🤞

Leave a comment:

• MoonRise
    replied
    Well, complete purge and reinstall on the Neon Nonsnap and on the Kubuntu Snap systems so far so good. Not sure what the deal is but fingers crossed. The Neon system has a Firefox update pending now too, so kind of apprehensive to go through with it.

Leave a comment:

• MoonRise
    replied
    @Qq; thanks! Will keep that in mind.

I blew away that enitre FireFox install. Then reinstalled after a reboot. I didn't really get a chance to test if all OK. On quick start of a session it seemed OK, for now, but I need to use use it. Again, will report back when can.

Leave a comment:

• Qqmike
    replied
    arsivci 👍👍

Leave a comment:

• arsivci
    replied
    Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
    Hi MoonRise. And also see post # 9 by arsivci. I didn't reproduce it, but I read the discussion there.
    I hope I am reading it right and not taking something out of context, but you'll see a guy using a key toggle to break the freezing:
    Ctrl+Shift+F12.
    I might try that next time.
    Hey Qqmike ,
    I should have missed that, thanks for the tip. I'll reinstall when 22.04.3 is out and check the result, too. If 22.04.3 freezes (which means no working backports for my case) and the toggle fails, I'll move either to 23.10 daily build or Debian 12.0 (it should be released by then).

Leave a comment:

• Qqmike
    replied
    Hi MoonRise. And also see post # 9 by arsivci. I didn't reproduce it, but I read the discussion there.
    I hope I am reading it right and not taking something out of context, but you'll see a guy using a key toggle to break the freezing:
    Ctrl+Shift+F12.
    I might try that next time.

Leave a comment:

• MoonRise
    replied
    @Q, yes, it happens while using it. So, as far as extensions, I did just that same issues. So, I have yet to uninstall and reinstall. I'll report on that. May even create a test user and see from a new user perspective. However, I don't want to have to clear my entire profile as it has my email profile there that is extensive and just don't want to go through the pain of rebuilding that.

Leave a comment:

• GreyGeek
    commented on 's reply
    I don't use snap. A month or so ago I was getting an occasional FF freeze but then it stopped. I am currently running 113.0.2 with no freezing.

• Qqmike
    replied
    Thanks arsivci. I will check it out.

Leave a comment:

• arsivci
    replied
    Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
    I don't know what's going on with my 22.04 on a PC, where I posted about it here:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...c-to-freeze-up

It could be Firefox doing it. (Or Libre Writer or T-Bird)
    But, my freezing up only occurs after I leave the PC for awhile, and randomly.
    It has never occurred while I'm using the PC actively (mouse, keyboard) -- if it did do that, it could suggest many things, including possibly faulty/cracked memory.

MoonRise, what do you do to "un-freeze" things? re-boot? or what?
    megosdog had mentioned a mesa/qt/kwin bug in his post. Please see https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=461316#c33 if is similar to yours. There seems to be a reproducer file attached close to the top, check if reproduces the bug. Although a fix was released it has not been back ported yet, to my knowledge. I moved to 23.04, so far no problems.

Leave a comment:

• kc1di
    replied
    I have found that a lot of times with Fire Fox is it either a bad extension. Or Firefox's hardware acceleration that causes the freezes. It has nothing to do with if it is a snap or native install.
    For the first things try disabling all extentions and re adding the one at a time until you find the culprit. For the second you have to go to settings in FF and General then scroll down and un-check the performance line then un-check use hardware acceleration if available, again try it for awhile see if the freezes go away. The other option of course is to use a different browser Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Qqmike
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback, MoonRise. It is pretty much what I do to resolve things.

Just curious, does Firefox freeze on you *while you are using it*? or while your PC has sat idle for some time?

Leave a comment:

• MoonRise
    replied
    So first yes, seems Neon is not a SNAP. I apologize for that. I'll blow that away and reinstall and see.

How do I resolve? By closing FireFox. Which when I do after it hangs, it removes it from the screen but it is still hung in the background and I have to Kill it from Systemmonitor. If I don't it kill it there it will eventually close and say FireFox crashed and then it is cleared. I'll be honest, I've never had these issues before with Firefox but here of late, disappointment. Be it this non-SNAP version on Neon or the Kubuntu SNAP version.

Interesting enough, my KFocus OS of Kubuntu doesn't do that. Just my Neon (up to date) and my Kubuntu one that isn't KFocus centric {Not as bad as the Neon though}.

Knowing the Neon one isn't SNAP gives me hope, I hope. 😬

Thanks for the feedback. I just had to vent.

Leave a comment:

• Qqmike
    replied
    I don't know what's going on with my 22.04 on a PC, where I posted about it here:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...c-to-freeze-up

It could be Firefox doing it. (Or Libre Writer or T-Bird)
    But, my freezing up only occurs after I leave the PC for awhile, and randomly.
    It has never occurred while I'm using the PC actively (mouse, keyboard) -- if it did do that, it could suggest many things, including possibly faulty/cracked memory.

MoonRise, what do you do to "un-freeze" things? re-boot? or what?
    Last edited by Qqmike; May 24, 2023, 08:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• claydoh
    replied
    Originally posted by jlittle View Post
    Firefox being deployed in snaps is not Mozilla's doing
    Actually, as I read things, I believe it actually is, at least in some part part. Mozilla themselves make the snap AND run the PPA.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X