FireFOX randonly Freezes or crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireFOX randonly Freezes or crashes

So first, I really have to say, that FireFOX SNAP just really sucks. If Mozilla truly wanted to loose users, this was the best approach. I'm really close to ditching it.

This occurs on 2 of 3 systems I have. All different in use and OS flavor (KDE Neon and Kubuntu). One of each is effected.

Per the subject, FireFOX randonly Freezes or crashes. No rhyme or reason for it. Any TAB will do this for some unknown reason and just random at that. On both I have removed all plug-ins, I cleared CACHE, I reset the browser. The only thing I have not done is totally blow it away and reload. Being SNAP I would think I wouldn't have to do that.

So, anyone else with similar issues?

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
    All different in use and OS flavor (KDE Neon and Kubuntu). One of each is effected.
    It isn't a Snap issue, then, since neon doesn't use it for FF, but uses the Mozilla Team's PPA for deb versions.
    However, iirc the actual binaries in each may be 100% identical.

It might well be a general bug.

I see an occasional freeze, but nothing I can remember exactly, since it has been brief and rare.

Comment

• GreyGeek
      GreyGeek commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't use snap. A month or so ago I was getting an occasional FF freeze but then it stopped. I am currently running 113.0.2 with no freezing.

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
    ... FireFOX SNAP just really sucks. If Mozilla truly wanted to loose users...
    Firefox being deployed in snaps is not Mozilla's doing, it's Canonical's. There have been quite a few threads here about it, many giving instructions on how to get rid of snaps and get Firefox another way. I suggest doing a web search for "firefox download linux".

Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      Firefox being deployed in snaps is not Mozilla's doing
      Actually, as I read things, I believe it actually is, at least in some part part. Mozilla themselves make the snap AND run the PPA.

Comment

I don't know what's going on with my 22.04 on a PC, where I posted about it here:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...c-to-freeze-up

It could be Firefox doing it. (Or Libre Writer or T-Bird)
        But, my freezing up only occurs after I leave the PC for awhile, and randomly.
        It has never occurred while I'm using the PC actively (mouse, keyboard) -- if it did do that, it could suggest many things, including possibly faulty/cracked memory.

MoonRise, what do you do to "un-freeze" things? re-boot? or what?
        Last edited by Qqmike; May 24, 2023, 08:31 AM.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

So first yes, seems Neon is not a SNAP. I apologize for that. I'll blow that away and reinstall and see.

How do I resolve? By closing FireFox. Which when I do after it hangs, it removes it from the screen but it is still hung in the background and I have to Kill it from Systemmonitor. If I don't it kill it there it will eventually close and say FireFox crashed and then it is cleared. I'll be honest, I've never had these issues before with Firefox but here of late, disappointment. Be it this non-SNAP version on Neon or the Kubuntu SNAP version.

Interesting enough, my KFocus OS of Kubuntu doesn't do that. Just my Neon (up to date) and my Kubuntu one that isn't KFocus centric {Not as bad as the Neon though}.

Knowing the Neon one isn't SNAP gives me hope, I hope. 😬

Thanks for the feedback. I just had to vent.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, MoonRise. It is pretty much what I do to resolve things.

Just curious, does Firefox freeze on you *while you are using it*? or while your PC has sat idle for some time?
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I have found that a lot of times with Fire Fox is it either a bad extension. Or Firefox's hardware acceleration that causes the freezes. It has nothing to do with if it is a snap or native install.
              For the first things try disabling all extentions and re adding the one at a time until you find the culprit. For the second you have to go to settings in FF and General then scroll down and un-check the performance line then un-check use hardware acceleration if available, again try it for awhile see if the freezes go away. The other option of course is to use a different browser Good luck.
              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                I don't know what's going on with my 22.04 on a PC, where I posted about it here:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...c-to-freeze-up

It could be Firefox doing it. (Or Libre Writer or T-Bird)
                But, my freezing up only occurs after I leave the PC for awhile, and randomly.
                It has never occurred while I'm using the PC actively (mouse, keyboard) -- if it did do that, it could suggest many things, including possibly faulty/cracked memory.

MoonRise, what do you do to "un-freeze" things? re-boot? or what?
                megosdog had mentioned a mesa/qt/kwin bug in his post. Please see https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=461316#c33 if is similar to yours. There seems to be a reproducer file attached close to the top, check if reproduces the bug. Although a fix was released it has not been back ported yet, to my knowledge. I moved to 23.04, so far no problems.

Comment

Thanks arsivci. I will check it out.

Comment

@Q, yes, it happens while using it. So, as far as extensions, I did just that same issues. So, I have yet to uninstall and reinstall. I'll report on that. May even create a test user and see from a new user perspective. However, I don't want to have to clear my entire profile as it has my email profile there that is extensive and just don't want to go through the pain of rebuilding that.

Comment

Hi MoonRise. And also see post # 9 by arsivci. I didn't reproduce it, but I read the discussion there.
                      I hope I am reading it right and not taking something out of context, but you'll see a guy using a key toggle to break the freezing:
                      Ctrl+Shift+F12.
                      I might try that next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                        Hi MoonRise. And also see post # 9 by arsivci. I didn't reproduce it, but I read the discussion there.
                        I hope I am reading it right and not taking something out of context, but you'll see a guy using a key toggle to break the freezing:
                        Ctrl+Shift+F12.
                        I might try that next time.
                        Hey Qqmike ,
                        I should have missed that, thanks for the tip. I'll reinstall when 22.04.3 is out and check the result, too. If 22.04.3 freezes (which means no working backports for my case) and the toggle fails, I'll move either to 23.10 daily build or Debian 12.0 (it should be released by then).

Comment

arsivci 👍👍

Comment

@Qq; thanks! Will keep that in mind.

I blew away that enitre FireFox install. Then reinstalled after a reboot. I didn't really get a chance to test if all OK. On quick start of a session it seemed OK, for now, but I need to use use it. Again, will report back when can.

Comment

Working...
                            X