Correction: SOME update breaks update-initramfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correction: SOME update breaks update-initramfs

Tried to update this morning and it halts trying to rebuild initramfs. All kernel versions will not rebuild.

I guess I'm going to roll back to this morning earlier snapshot and hold off updating...

Code:
    stuart@office:~$ sudo update-initramfs -c -k 5.15.0-72-generic
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-72-generic
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/yellow_carp_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_mec.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_me.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_ce.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_sdma1.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/cyan_skillfish_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for module amdgpu
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu

​
    Sat like this for a half-hour before I gave up.

Please Read Me

Odd.
    I didn't see this on any of my updates, both Neon and Kubuntu.
    Def. not a neon-specific problem, though.

On a side note, I am sort of surprised that 5.19.0.42 is still in 'proposed'. This is the one that supposedly fixes the HDMI audio problem. It did on my PC.

Comment

I had to roll back to yesterday morning so not really sure when or what caused the issue.

Please Read Me

Comment

Does adding '-v' to update-initramfs reveal anything in its resultant wall of text?

Comment

Just to be complete:
          I attempted to reboot and it froze.
          I rolled back to this morning (7:30am here) snapshot and it froze
          I rolled back to Wednesday morning snapshot and it booted.

I'm re-doing the update now to see what happens...
          Last edited by oshunluvr; May 18, 2023, 10:10 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

The update went fine this go-round and both kernels booted: 5.19.0-41 and 5.15.0-72, so I guess the cause will remain a mystery.

SHAMELESS PLUG FOR BTRFS: Rolled back twice in less than a few minutes, jus' sayin'

Please Read Me

Comment

**knocks on wood repeatedly**

I have yet to actually need to roll back, so far, other than for testing, and once or twice out of laziness. Testing out the Proposed kernel, for example.

I finally have a semblance of a backup-recovery-storage regimen after all my years of living the wild life in terms of my computers, and interestingly enough have had to make minimal use of them since. Probably because thinking about things has changed some of my habits, I think.

Comment

This is the fourth or fifth time in many years I did a roll-back. Only one other time was it necessary because something was wrong with my install - like this time. Other times it was purposeful or just easier than undoing whatever it was I wanted undone. It's so simple it's almost laughable.

I've posted about this before, but for new potential viewers: I wrote a cron script that takes a snapshot every morning and makes a backup every Sunday of my install and home subvolumes. This means I have a seven day collection of snapshots at all times.

Rolling back steps:
                1. Navigate to my root BTRFS volume mounted at /subvol: cd /subvol
                2. Rename my install subvolume from @KDEneon to @KDEneon_bad: sudo mv @KDEneon @KDEneon_bad
                3. Re-snapshot the last snapshot in /subvol/snapshots: sudo btrfs su sn snapshots/@KDEneon_daily_0 @KDEneon
                and reboot.

Assuming all is well, I delete @KDEneon_bad and I'm done.

This particular time "...daily_0" wouldn't boot either. So I booted to another install (or I could have used a Live USB) and did the above steps again, this time picking "...daily_1". It booted so I was done.
                Last edited by oshunluvr; May 19, 2023, 08:17 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

• claydoh
                  claydoh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just use Timeshift
                  Lazy, and I have used it for browsing for files more than I have used it to roll back.
              Working...
              X