Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended Package Manager for KDE Neon?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Recommended Package Manager for KDE Neon?

Just wondering what package manager everyone likes to use on NEON? Synaptics, Muon...

Synaptic is 'long in the tooth', and although it can be installed (and it works fine), I'm not 100% sure that it is being actively maintained anymore. Muon Package Manager, as a "GUI" package manager, is 'preferred'. But it too, has it's quirks.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok thanks good to know!

Comment

Neither is installed by default with KDEneon. If you did a poll of KFN, you'd get a lot of synaptic responses. Muon suffered from a longish gap in maintenance a year or two ago and is much younger than synaptic as Snowhog said. QT purists will use Muon despite its mostly minor pitfalls. Many of us eschew both and use apt or apt-get.

Please Read Me

Comment

Interesting, Muon seems to be working alright. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Muon's only problem, IMO, is that it must use the bubble sort to resort the repository after you enter a second search term. Results for the search term seem to be empty until you notice the progress bar for the search in the lower right corner. When it finishes the sort it will display results for the term being searched for.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

A really inefficient indexing method. Why in the world did the developer settle on it?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                A really inefficient indexing method. Why in the world did the developer settle on it?
                I'm not saying they did, I'm saying that for only 80K+ files the speed of the sort feels like they use the Bubble sort. A QuickSort would be able to sort 80K in a second or two, not 15-30 seconds.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

At least It is miles ahead of the software discovery app. That thing gets all my fans going full speed and freezes searching many a times.

Comment

Originally posted by wrender View Post
                    At least It is miles ahead of the software discovery app. That thing gets all my fans going full speed and freezes searching many a times.
                    IMO it is not ready for prime time unless you have a VERY fast computer.

Comment

i7-7700hq with 1060 gtx...

One would think that would be able to handle installing software! lol

Well hopefully they can get some time in on it to improve. :P

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        IMO it is not ready for prime time unless you have a VERY fast computer.
                        Sadly, Discover seems to be the official playground for Kirigami. But really, every DE has a better "software store" than KDE Plasma, which is a shame. If the Kirigami framework takes off on phones, however, some of the pain may be worth it - however disconnected these two things are in reality.
                        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                        K*Digest Blog
                        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                        X