Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new Spectacle interface is horrible.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new Spectacle interface is horrible.

The latest upgrade turned the Neon version of Spectacle into a god awful looking tool. What they heck was the developer thinking?

kde-spectacle 23.04.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build16
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230425_132325.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	670370

vs.

kde-spectacle 22.04.3-0ubuntu1~ubuntu22.04~ppa1

I hate it.​

Please Read Me

I generally use the rectangular region option for screenshots, and this interface is actually good. Not at all like the normal one, as you are seeing it.

However, the screen recording option (wayland only?) is crappy, at best.

Comment

But I don't always want to box something in. And besides, I'm old and they need to stop changing everything, LOL

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        I'm old and they need to stop changing everything, LOL
        hehe with KDE you should expect this

But they should be more consistent with this tool. it is sort of like there are multiple ones here.
        Last edited by claydoh; Apr 26, 2023, 09:07 AM.

Comment

It makes sense to the move the buttons to the top because that's where they are on other KDE apps. The capture mode select could be better though, it does look ugly.

Comment

Under the tools the option to make a movie of the screen only showed "peek" and "simplescreenrecorder", but didn't see vokoscreen or obs. However, it gave an option to install those apps, but the option didn't work. Overall, though, for my use case, it works great.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Under the tools the option to make a movie of the screen only showed "peek" and "simplescreenrecorder", but didn't see vokoscreen or obs. However, it gave an option to install those apps, but the option didn't work. Overall, though, for my use case, it works great.
              You must be on the 'old' Spectacle, or logged in to xorg maybe? I noted that oshunluvr screenshot does not show screen recording, while mine does, and I have zero external tools for this installed.

Name:	ksnip_20230427-074901.png
Views:	232
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	670433
              I am, ahem, working, cough, so I am not going to log out and into an X11 session to check right now.

The recording works well enough, though the first test video or two had odd anomalies, like this screenshot after moving a window around while a video was playing in FF - a previous recording playing in FF while I was screen-grabbing.
              The recording is webm, which is why it defaulted to FF for playback.
              It probably didn't know how to handle a video of a video, plus Wobbly Windows lolol.

Name:	Screenshot_20230427_075333.png
Views:	221
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	670434

Comment

Clay, are you using Wayland?

Screen recording functionality is coming to Spectacle, KDE Plasma’s built-in screenshot tool.

Developer Nate Graham reports that the upcoming Spectacle 23.04 release will boast expanded functionality when used in a KDE Plasma Wayland session.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Clay, are you using Wayland?
                  Most definitely, for over a year and a half now I think, exclusively.
                  Wayland and screen recording requires support from the compositor (kwin) and/or xdg Portals, but I would not have thought that this feature would be Wayland-only since doing so in Xorg is relatively trivial via external tools (ffmpeg?)
                  Last edited by claydoh; Apr 27, 2023, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X