This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can't write to external hd

Due to a malfunction in my Elements ext. hd I bought a new one, a Toshiba 1-tb. During a time when my computer wasn't working properly, my new ext- hd stopped accepting write commands. I can still read what I managed to get saved before it stopped listening to me, but I can neither add folders are save anything to it. Another thing: the icon does not appear under 'Devices? in the left column of Dolphin. Instead, the icon can be found in the Roots directory, under 'media.' Is this now the norm? Does this affect my ability to write to the hard disk? Is there something I can do, or is the disk probably defective?

I'm using Neon/Kubuntu hybrid, by the way.

Probably its permission changed and only allows root r/w access. All others just r access.
    As root (sudo -i) you can change ownership to yourname:yourname using chown.
    chown -R yourname:yourname <path/to/root/of/drive>
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Something must be wrong in my syntax, as I get a no file response. I went to root, typed chown -R then my name as specified, but the direction to the device is not understood. The device is located in root directory, in the media folder, under my name, and written in capital letters. After my name, I typed: /root/media/steve/TOSHIBA EXT, which is how it appears in Dolphin. What did I do wrong?

Comment

Because there is a space in the device name, you have to ‘escape’ it. So, you would type:

/root/media/steve/TOSHIBA\ EXT
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, but I'm still getting a 'no such file' message. Here's what I typed and what I got:

root@steve-desktop:~# chown -R steve:steve /root/media/steve/TOSHIBA\EXT
          chown: cannot access '/root/media/steve/TOSHIBAEXT': No such file or directory

Comment

You are not escaping properly. The backslash is put in front of the space. It doesn't replace it.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks, but still no dice. I did have another mistake, using root as the beginning directory in the file path, since I'm already in root, it doesn't need it again, right? This time it starts to change ownership, then runs into an I/O error on one of the archives I had previously saved. What might be happening?

Comment

It's a cli command that I've used often in the past. All I can tell you is consult the man page and examine carefully what you've typed. You have a mistake somewhere.
                IF you run Krusader as root perhaps you can use the GUI on that file manager to check the ownership and change it to your name and account.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                  Thanks, but still no dice. I did have another mistake, using root as the beginning directory in the file path, since I'm already in root, it doesn't need it again, right? This time it starts to change ownership, then runs into an I/O error on one of the archives I had previously saved. What might be happening?
                  how are you accessing the drive ,,,,,plug it in and auto mount ,,,or an entry in /etc/fstab that auto mounts it at boot ?

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I plug it in and auto-mount.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                      I plug it in and auto-mount.
                      strange ,,,,that usually results in allowing user access.

lets do this ,,,,and bare with me it will take a bit of back and forth,,,,,,,,,Open a konsole and with the external drive plugged in and auto mounted do
                      Code:
                      cd media && ls -la
                      post the output...and
                      Code:
                      sudo parted -l
                      ,,,and post the output .

use the # button over the text input Field hear on your reply and paste the output between the code tags that pressing the # will insert in the text field , each output in separate code tags .

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

I did the two commands and got this:

steve@steve-desktop:~$ cd media && ls -la
                        bash: cd: media: No such file or directory
                        steve@steve-desktop:~$ sudo parted -l
                        [sudo] password for steve:
                        Model: ATA ST3500413AS (scsi)
                        Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
                        Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
                        Partition Table: msdos
                        Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
                        1 1049kB 106MB 105MB primary ntfs boot
                        2 106MB 266GB 266GB primary ntfs
                        4 266GB 500GB 234GB extended
                        5 266GB 496GB 229GB logical ext4
                        6 496GB 500GB 4271MB logical linux-swap(v1)

Model: TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 (scsi)
                        Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
                        Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
                        Partition Table: msdos
                        Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
                        1 1049kB 1000GB 1000GB primary ntfs

I didn't understand what to do with # so I just copied everything directly from the Konsole.

Comment

One thing: I have USB 2 ports. Does that affect a USB 3.0 hard disk?

Comment

OK so the drive is formated NTFS .

my bad on the ls command (surprised no one corrected me) it should have been ,,,,,,,

Code:
                            cd /media && ls -la
                            I forgot the leading / .

as to the code tags ,,,,,when you are typing in this text box ,,,right above it their is a button with # ,,,click it it will insert the code tags ,,you paste the output directly in between them ,,,,CODE]<text goes hear>[/CODE] I skipped the first bracket so you could see it ,,,,,if I did not it would have been displayed like this

Code:
                            <text goes hear>
                            as to USB-2 ver USB-3 ,,,it will still work ,,,it's just that USB-3 has faster transfer(read/write) speed.

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

I redid the first step and got this:

steve@steve-desktop:~$ cd /media && ls -la
                              total 12
                              drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 feb 2 2015 .
                              drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 dic 7 19:15 ..
                              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 45 feb 2 2015 .directory -> /etc/kubuntu-default-settings/directory-media
                              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 42 feb 2 2015 .hidden -> /etc/kubuntu-default-settings/hidden-media
                              drwxr-x---+ 5 root root 4096 dic 17 14:18 steve
                              steve@steve-desktop:/media$

Comment

Working...
                              X