This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrade linux core?

I see that Kubuntu 17.10 is using the 4.13 linux core. I'm using a Kubuntu (16.04)/Neon hybrid with a linux core of 4.10. Is there any good reason to upgrade my current setup to the 4.13 version?

I am using the same thing as you ,,,a Kubuntu (16.04)/Neon hybrid (using the neon /dev/stable repo ) but my Kernel is
    Code:
    4.13.0-16-generic
    I get that with the "linux-image-generic-hwe-16.04-edge" package .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Well, since you're using the same setup as I am, I decided to upgrade the kernel, which went easily when I found the 'edge' pacjage which was uninstalled. Didn't know about that one. I discovered in the process that my updates hadn't deleted all the previous linux kernels back to 4.4.0-96, which came to about 2 GB of space! So I got rid of all but the last one I used (4.10.0-38) just in case something goes wrong. So now my setup seems to be completely upgraded. Does that mean that there's virtually nothing left from the 16.04 Kubuntu? If so, I won't have to bother upgrading the LTS version next year if I keep the current setup. Or am I missing something?
      Last edited by oldgeek; Nov 18, 2017, 08:52 PM. Reason: repeated word

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
        So now my setup seems to be completely upgraded.
        that depends ,,,,,how do you do your updates ?

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Every day, either through Discover or via the terminal's pkcon commands. I don't use the sudo apt update/full-upgrade commands any more because this forum said that pkcon commands are what I should use for Neon. But the Discover updates seems to work well now, so normally I just click the icon and let it run.

Comment

Every day, either through Discover or via the terminal's pkcon commands. I don't use the sudo apt update/full-upgrade commands any more because this forum said that pkcon commands are what I should use for Neon. But the Discover updates seems to work well now, so normally I just click the icon and let it run.
            ya ,,,not sure how Discover handles updates , or that pkcon thing ,,,,do youself a favor and check
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get  dist-upgrade
            every now and then

+ you should do a
            Code:
            sudo apt-get clean
            every once in a wile ,,,,,,,go to /var/cache/apt/ and rite click the archives folder and "property's " ,,how much space is it reporting ?

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Did all that just now. There were 22 packages to eliminate, so I eliminated them. Then I did the apt-clean. Finally, I checked the two folders. Apt-file used 4 kb, while archives used 232 kb. The device usage indicates 30.6 GiB free of 210.2 GiB available, or 85% usage. How do I interpret these figures?

Comment

Did all that just now. There were 22 packages to eliminate, so I eliminated them. Then I did the apt-clean. Finally, I checked the two folders. Apt-file used 4 kb, while archives used 232 kb. The device usage indicates 30.6 GiB free of 210.2 GiB available, or 85% usage. How do I interpret these figures?
                You've got too much stuff on your system. LOL - Just kidding.

If you're asking about the apt-file and archives folders under /var/cache, those total sizes would be due to a small text and/or lock files in there. Nothing to worry about.

If you want to determine where all that space is being used, try:

sudo du -hx --max-depth=1

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks, useful command to know.

Comment

Working...
                  X