I remember RPM hell of yore: I appear to be in a DEB version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] I remember RPM hell of yore: I appear to be in a DEB version

KDEneon 22.04 base but apparently NOT fully updated because of a package called "shim-signed" along with a couple grub-efi packages.

Here's the punch line: My computer does not use EFI.

I have no idea how or why EFI packages got on my system, probably just by default and I never noticed them - until now. This is what I see when I try and upgrade:

Code:
    Broken shim-signed:amd64 Depends on grub-efi-amd64-signed:amd64 < 1.182~22.04.1+2.06-2ubuntu10 | 1.187.3~22.04.1+2.06-2ubuntu14.1 @ii pumH > (>= 1.187.2~)
    Considering grub-efi-amd64-signed:amd64 10201 as a solution to shim-signed:amd64 5100
    Holding Back shim-signed:amd64 rather than change grub-efi-amd64-signed:amd64
    Broken shim-signed:amd64 Depends on grub-efi-arm64-signed:amd64 < none @un mH > (>= 1.187.2~)
    Or group keep for shim-signed:amd64
    Try to Re-Instate (1) shim-signed:amd64
    Done
    Along with filing a bug on this, I'd like to just get rid of the EFI packages and whatever "shim-signed" is. It appears to have something to do with Microsoft signed boot something or other but I don't use Windows, (in)Secure Boot, or EFI.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Mar 09, 2023, 04:35 PM.

Please Read Me

Yes, shim-signed is used for "secure boot" and therefore it is only used by (and requires) an UEFI boot. So you don't need it on a "legacy" BIOS system.

I think at some time after 20.04 the UEFI stuff was always installed by default (at least in *ubuntu) - but I could be wrong.
    Probably had to do something with GRUB dependencies.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 09, 2023, 04:27 PM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Yeah, I hate that MS garbage. Anyway, I force removed shim-signed and then it let me remove the two unneeded grub packages AND rebooted just fine.

Please Read Me

Comment

I think at some time after 20.04 the UEFI stuff was always installed by default (at least in *ubuntu) - but I could be wrong.
        Probably had to do something with GRUB dependencies.​
        I do agree the issue is confusing. But, I use UEFI, and included in downloaded files iI often see a folder for grub-pc, or some such thing.
        e.g., /usr/lib/grub

(darn, I just got 22.04 installed, new, and I can't see how to use Dolphin to access my root files! WTH.)
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Sorry ... figured it out ... my /usr/lib/grub does contain a i386-pc folder containing 303 files.
          So maybe all grub systems are included by default, even though I would not use the GRUB legacy folder /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc. Probably the same for you, as S.K said.
          Last edited by Qqmike; Mar 09, 2023, 04:43 PM.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post

(darn, I just got 22.04 installed, new, and I can't see how to use Dolphin to access my root files! WTH.)
            Hey, stop stealing my rant thread!

I assume you mean you don't see "root" in the Places bar in Dolphin.

Easy to add it:
            Open Dolphin, Use the URL bar to navigate to Root as in " / "
            Click on the hamburger icon on the far right of the toolbar
            Click "Add to Places.

Please Read Me

Comment

I had to use "show full path" (it was turned off). I still don't have "root" or "/" under places, but that's OK b/c "/" does show on the URL bar now.
              At least I got /usr/lib/grub cleared up! THAT is relevant here!

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                I had to use "show full path" (it was turned off). I still don't have "root" or "/" under places, but that's OK b/c "/" does show on the URL bar now.
                At least I got /usr/lib/grub cleared up! THAT is relevant here! Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230309_181237.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	668961
                If you want root in places, just follow the instructions.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X