Kernel 5.19.0-35 breaks HDMI audio - 5.19.0-42 not perfect either

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernel 5.19.0-35 breaks HDMI audio - 5.19.0-42 not perfect either

Upgraded from 5.19.0-32 to -35 and my audio went away. The AMD audio devices didn't show in any sound apps at all. They do appear in lshw.

I've tried everything I can think of at this point.

Still searching for solutions but wanted to get this out there in case others experience it. I'm currently booting to 5.19.0-32 which works fine.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Mar 02, 2023, 11:26 AM.

Please Read Me

Check System Settings > Audio. I just upgraded from 5.19.0-32 to -35 after reading your post. In -32, sound volume was fine. After upgrading to -35, I tested again, and at first, I thought I had no sound. But listening very carefully, I did hear sounds. I had to raise the Playback Device level all the way to 100% in order to actually hear the test sounds and my configured event sounds. So yes, there is 'something' at issue with the updated kernel.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, after a shutdown and restart (my neon is running in a VM on my iMac), the sound works just fine, and as expected.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Upgraded from 5.19.0-32 to -35 and my audio went away. The AMD audio devices didn't show in any sound apps at all. They do appear in lshw.

Ditto, even to the AMD audio on my rx580, which also is seen in lshw. I don't actually use it, but it was missing when I went to swap audio to my usb headphones, and I was missing the output option.
        Firmware update needed, maybe?
        Not a Neon/Plasma issue, methinks, alsamixer doesn't see it either.

I wasted 15 mins looking at it, but was in the middle of work, so haven't bothered to reboot yet to the last kernel to verify.
        Last edited by claydoh; Mar 02, 2023, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Check System Settings > Audio. I just upgraded from 5.19.0-32 to -35 after reading your post. In -32, sound volume was fine. After upgrading to -35, I tested again, and at first, I thought I had no sound. But listening very carefully, I did hear sounds. I had to raise the Playback Device level all the way to 100% in order to actually hear the test sounds and my configured event sounds. So yes, there is 'something' at issue with the updated kernel.
          In my case it's not the volume. There are literally no sound cards detected by any audio applications. Actually that's not true. The sound outputs from the Video card (via HDMI/DP) are not detected. The built in motherboard card is, but I don't have anything to connect to it.

Regardless, =32 kernel works fine.
          Last edited by oshunluvr; Mar 03, 2023, 07:09 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...er-last-update

same kernel iirc, or at least whatever security CVE they patched in this kernel breaks some audio devices. I should try the current 5.15 vs previous as well, since both were updated at the same time.
            Last edited by claydoh; Mar 03, 2023, 07:44 AM.

Comment

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...9/+bug/2009136

Comment

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/bl...da/hda_intel.c

Comment

Originally posted by NitroNed View Post
                  But, I don't know how to run that from GitHub. Can someone give me a sudo to run that? I have Thorny, but ran into all kinds of Syntax errors when I tried to run the code.
                  That needs to be compiles into the kernel tree, and would be for a different kernel build.

You would need to install a new kernel that has this included, assuming this really is related to you, I think. Maybe.

In any case, you will want to start your own topic on this, as it probably is completely unrelated to the one here.
                  You will want to specify your computer specs as much as possible, with as much details as you can about your problem.

Comment

It looks like with 5.19.0-42, Ubuntu finally fixes the HDMI audio.
                    it does for me here.
                    It is in jammy-proposed for testing at the moment, so it is on the way.

Comment

Upgraded to 5.19.0-42 this morning and indeed the audio device issues seems fixed, HOWEVER, for some reason I can play audio, etc, but not getting sound from Accessibility > Modifier Keys > "A lock key..."

I tested the individual sound files and they're fine.

I'm going to boot back to 5.15 and see if it's kernel related.

AFTER BOOTING back to the 5.15.0-72 kernel, the notification works again. I also realized on reboot that the startup audio I have enabled also did not play when booting to 5.19.0-42.

My assessment is audio is still broken in 5.19.0-42
                      Last edited by oshunluvr; May 26, 2023, 07:56 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X