This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Pain with multiple users with same UID

I have created a second user to check whether a fresh desktop profile solves some of the issues I'm having.

Most of my stuff is shared between multiple accounts. I generally solt-link from /home/shared/* into the user's home dir.

Usually this works fine because the various users exist in separate installation instances, but in this case both user A and B (UID 1000) exist in the same instance of linux.

The first problem I noticed very quickly is that sudo asks for the password of user B when I'm logged in as user A and vica versa. Which was a bit of a pain because I forgot to add user B to sudoers, so when logged in as user A I effectively had lost access to sudo, and since I had not set a password for user B I could not log in as that user either.

Single-user-mode-password-recovery-later... I have gained access to the system once more.

But I notice another issue. If logged in as user B and the desktop is locked, I am unable to unlock. This problem is not present for user A.

My question is kind of academic in nature, since the new user profile does not solve the problems experienced.

But how do I get sudo to request the correct password and why can't I unlock when logged in as user B?

Note there are a number of other users, used rarely but with their own distinct UIDs. Since none of them have any problems and all the problems started only when I created a second user with the same UID, I think it is a safe assumption that this is a duplicate-UID problem.

I don't believe Ubuntu is intended to work this way - with non-unique user ID's - so some parts, like the password tool, may not operate properly. If the only reason you are doing this is to be able access user A's files while logged in as user B, there are better (more secure and less likely to cause system troubles) than this.

On the surface, it would seem as long as the passwords were identical, this would work, but maybe not. I assume you have made both users identical in every way except home folders? If not, what's the point? Since you're having trouble with this, why not do it the "normal" way and have two users with unique IDs but identical group and sudo rights and use shared document folders?

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X