No announcement yet.

Neon Niggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the moment I'm running KDE Neon, after my install of Kubuntu 22.10 suddenly had an issue playing back video files (The 22.10 was an upgrade from a clean install of 22.04) :-/ However I am not convinced entirely that Neon is a good choice for a machine used for productivity, as there is a niggly worry at the back of my mind that an update to KDE software on Neon could cause issues....

OK, so Kubuntu 22.04 LTS won't run the latest stable version of KDE Plasma, but is that really such an issue? Possibly not, especially since the LTS releases of Kubuntu are very stable. Besides I'd rather be using my system rather than nursing regular updates to the KDE software on Neon.

Comment

Originally posted by brianinnes View Post
      , especially since the LTS releases of Kubuntu are very stable.
      With the proviso that they become very stable. When an LTS is first released it may not be much more stable than other releases (the release managers do try harder to avoid major version changes just before the release). Typically the .1 release, in about July, is worth waiting for.

Regards, John Little

Comment

Whether the Plasma version in an LTS is 'stable' is sort of hit or miss, really.
        And for all intents and purposes, on the desktop, at least for Kubuntu, LTS mostly means Security Fixes.
        There are some small fixes for a bit, if a Plasma version is dubbed 'LTS ' by KDE.
        Luckily, 5.24 is LTS, and will see some random bugfix releases for a spell, until work begins on Plasma 6 (no eta on that) so this version might be the rare exception that *might* see some action more than 18 months from its original release.

Comment

Since I started this thread I moved over to Linux Mint Cinnamon, mainly because there was no need to mes around removing Snaps, it was all done!

While it works great and I have no complaints, I feel there is something missing. I can't put my finger on it! Bells & Whistles? A few finer touches?

If I get time before flying off to Bangkok at the end of the month, I want to give Kubuntu another shot. I think I'll give up with Neon for now.

I'll either use the posted script to get rid of Snaps or the Ubuntu guide.

I seem to recall there being another guide on how to use the TeamMozilla PPA to install Firefox and blacklist the Snap version. I'll dig around next Monday. I'll be busy until Sunday.

Ta for the script...
          Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
            Since I started this thread I moved over to Linux Mint Cinnamon, mainly because there was no need to mes around removing Snaps, it was all done!

While it works great and I have no complaints, I feel there is something missing. I can't put my finger on it! Bells & Whistles? A few finer touches?
            It really is no "rocket science" to get rid of Snaps in Kubuntu - even in Ubuntu with Gnome where you have to do some more things to archive this goal it is not too complicated…

I think that Cinnamon is ugly - even after theming the hell out of it. And it is missing several features and the versatility of KDE Plasma I got used to during the years. And the phantastic Dolphin file manager and Kate, e.g., and several other KDE stuff.
            And it uses more memory than "standard" Plasma.

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
            If I get time before flying off to Bangkok at the end of the month, I want to give Kubuntu another shot. I think I'll give up with Neon for now.

I'll either use the posted script to get rid of Snaps or the Ubuntu guide.

I seem to recall there being another guide on how to use the TeamMozilla PPA to install Firefox and blacklist the Snap version. I'll dig around next Monday. I'll be busy until Sunday.

Ta for the script...
            The advantage of using the Mozilla Team PPA for Firefox is that the updates are managed by APT/Discover.
            The "disadvantage" is that you might get versions of Firefox that are not officially released yet (I would not call them "Beta", but…) - KDE neon uses this PPA, too, but neon is partly kind of "bleeding edge", so this fits in my opinion.
            Here is the link to the thread oshunluvr wrote about it:
            https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...-without-snapd

The Firefox binary from Mozilla.org used in the script updates itself, like the program does on macOS and Windows, and does not use APT/Discover.
            The "advantage" is that you get the versions of Firefox that are already officially released.

You don't have to use the script for any of the three things it does (getting rid of Snaps entirely - installing the Firefox binary - including the possibility to use Flatpaks) - you can type in the commands one by one in Konsole, of course (I tried to document the different steps in the comments within the script as good as I could).
            And you are welcome!
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 02, 2023, 03:05 AM. Reason: typos
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Dank di!

I'm busy with beer right now, obviously and will get on to it when I sober up!

Comment

I think I found the reason for my disappearing Linux header files....

UKUU

I used it to remove old kernels and it must have removed more than it should have! This time I didn't install it!

Right now I'm having a small problem with the application launcher displaying 'Favorites' when it really should say 'Favourites' 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes, I'm back on Neon! I tried Kubuntu and it installed just fine but it would not boot!

I spent yesterday updating my RAM from 16Gb to 32Gb and then playing with a couple of live ISOs!

I originally had an 8Gb stick of Samsung RAM in the machine and added an 8Gb stick of Crucial. Now I have two matching sticks of 16Gb Team Group Elite!

Comment

Working...
                X