Neon Niggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neon Niggles

Yesterday I did a fresh install of KDE Neon after a slightly borked update of Mint 21.1 and I found some things were MIA or had gone AWOL.

I selected British English in the installer but language-pack-kde-en was not installed.

language-selector-common was also missing so I couldn't configure locales.

linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic went AWOL for some reason and will probably do so again next kernel update!

I linked software-properties-qt to software-properties-kde in /usr/bin to use with Muon and installed the Nvidia drivers OK and then selected to use the
    rtl8821ce drivers for my WiFi card but later noticed they did not get installed so I installed them myself through Muon.

In another thread I mentioned that boot hangs if there's an xorg.conf file present but I had no problem with Mint.

Do I really need the latest and greatest Plasma? Would I be better off with Kubuntu LTS?

But with that I'd have to jump through hoops getting rid of all the Snap rubbish too!

GGGrrrrrrr... Rant over...

Constant change is here to stay!

One word for you: Beer
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      One word for you: Beer
      I'll drink to that... A bit later!

Comment

Not attempting to dampen the rant, but:

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
        language-selector-common was also missing so I couldn't configure locales.
        This is an Ubuntu-specific tool here, not a KDE one, though I don't know what others (or KDE) use for the purpose. Maybe worth a bug report. Considering the main dev is from Scotland, and the other is Austrian, I wonder how this might be missed.
        Or, as a non-distro, is isn't a major concern.

linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic went AWOL for some reason and will probably do so again next kernel update!
        This is not the norm. I don't think I have ever seen this - it is something I would notice immediately, and stop me in my tracks for a look-see. But this would have nothing to do with Neon, since they do not touch this at all. 100% Ubuntu here.

I linked software-properties-qt to software-properties-kde in /usr/bin to use with Muon and installed the Nvidia drivers OK and then selected to use the rtl8821ce drivers for my WiFi card but later noticed they did not get installed so I installed them myself through Muon.
        This has nothing to do with neon, either, since software-properties-qt​ is another ubuntu-specific tool. Though I get what you are saying. But unless upstream Muon gets fixed for this, neon is simply shipping the stock code, pretty much like the rest of it's KDE packaging. neon isn't going to touch software-properties-qt, even if it is just a symlink. Muon hasn't seen an update since at least 2018, so it isn't likely to see a proper fix. It is pretty much dead and unmaintained, or barely so.
        The driver not working also has nothing to do with neon since this is all Ubuntu stuff here, neon doesn't touch this at all.

Do I really need the latest and greatest Plasma? Would I be better off with Kubuntu LTS?
        If you want a full-featured distro, then neon is probably not it, considering it isn't really a distro at all.

Anyway, use what fits you best.

Here's one on me;;

Comment

I tried setting locale related stuff and Plasma settings complained that it couldn't because (If I remember) check-language-support was not installed. That really must be a bug.

I do agree that the rest isn't the fault of Neon.

I'm having a bad few days with Linux at the moment. One thing or another is annoying me.

I've decided that with its Snap dependencies, Kubuntu is not for me! I might give EndeavourOS a go.

I was so mad yesterday I even downloaded a copy of English Windows 10 (my machine came with Japanese Windows)

But that's another can of worms... Or snakes! I haven't used MS since Windows 3.11....

Comment

And if you run this:

Code:
            wayne@Wayne-IdeaCentre:~$ sudo apt install $(check-language-support)
            [sudo] password for wayne:
            Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree... Done
            Reading state information... Done
            Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
            Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
            Done
            The following additional packages will be installed:
            dconf-cli gir1.2-ibus-1.0 ibus ibus-gtk ibus-gtk3 ibus-gtk4
            libcairo-script-interpreter2 libgtk-4-1 libgtk-4-bin libgtk-4-common
            python3-ibus-1.0
            Suggested packages:
            ibus-clutter ibus-doc gvfs libgtk-4-media-gstreamer | libgtk-4-media-ffmpeg
            libreoffice-grammarcheck-en-za libreoffice-help-en-za mythes-en-za
            The following NEW packages will be installed
            dconf-cli gir1.2-ibus-1.0 hunspell-en-au hunspell-en-ca hunspell-en-za
            hyphen-en-ca hyphen-en-us ibus ibus-gtk ibus-gtk3 ibus-gtk4 ibus-mozc
            libcairo-script-interpreter2 libgtk-4-1 libgtk-4-bin libgtk-4-common
            libreoffice-help-en-us libreoffice-l10n-en-za mythes-en-au mythes-en-us
            python3-ibus-1.0 thunderbird-locale-en-us wbritish
            0 to upgrade, 23 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
            Need to get 17.3 MB of archives.
            After this operation, 99.1 MB of additional disk space will be used.
            Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
            Abort.
            It wants to install a bunch of other stuff I don't need or want! I don't need South African, Aussie or US language support!

Comment

[…]
              […]​
              Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              […]
              If you want a full-featured distro, then neon is probably not it, considering it isn't really a distro at all.
              […]

[…]
              I've decided that with its Snap dependencies, Kubuntu is not for me! I might give EndeavourOS a go.
              […]​

Away with the blues - I had some scripts lying around and I put something together, so you can easily enjoy Kubuntu 22.04 without Snaps - just run the little script after installation.

It will offer you three choices in three steps:
              1. Do you want to remove Snaps entirely from Kubuntu 22.04 (including the Firefox Snap)?
              2. Do you want to download and install the latest stable Firefox binary from Mozilla.org?
              3. Do you additionally want to enable Flatpak support (also in Discover) and the Flathub repo as a replacement for Snaps?

If you want to have slightly newer KDE packages I consider it a no-brainer to enable the Kubuntu backports PPA or even the Kubuntu backports-extra PPA (the latter for Plasma 5.25.5).

So here is the script for you (and anybody else who is interested, of course!):
              Code:
              #!/bin/bash

#####
              # This is a little helper script for Kubuntu 22.04 users who want to
              # 1. get rid of Snaps entirely, including the Firefox Snap
              # 2. use the Firefox binary from Mozilla.org instead
              # 3. enable Flatpak support
              #
              # It installs the en-US version of Firefox - to change this see lines 109-111
              # and edit line 113 of this script (e.g. you could use Kate for that).
              #
              # This Firefox binary behaves roughly like the ones for macOS or Windows and
              # updates itself independently from APT package management or Discover (and can
              # ask you before updating, if you would prefer this - see Firefox settings).
              #
              # IMPORTANT:
              # This script is intended to be run after a fresh installation of Kubuntu 22.04
              # AND a full upgrade and reboot of the system.
              # Every one of the three steps in this script is intended to be run only once
              # (that means if you answer "y" or "Y" to a step), but can be run independently.
              # In theory it should also work with a Kubuntu 22.04 installation that has been
              # used for a while, but BE AWARE THAT ALL PROGRAMS YOU ADDITIONALLY INSTALLED AS
              # SNAPS ARE BEING REMOVED!
              #
              # You will be asked for confirmation before every step and if you answer "n" or
              # "N" to all steps no changes at all are made to your system.
              #
              # This script comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
              # It may be used, shared, copied and modified freely.
              # For some more information see the comments within this script.
              #####

#####
              # Display purpose of this script
              #####
              clear
              echo -e "This is a little helper script for Kubuntu 22.04 users who want to \n1. get rid of Snaps entirely, including the Firefox Snap\n2. use the Firefox binary from Mozilla.org instead \n3. enable Flatpak support\n\nIt installs the en-US version of Firefox - to change this see lines 109-111 and \nedit line 113 of the script (e.g. you could use Kate for that).\n\nThis Firefox binary behaves roughly like the ones for macOS or Windows and \nupdates itself independently from APT package management or Discover (and can \nask you before updating, if you would prefer this - see Firefox settings).\n\nIMPORTANT:\nThis script is intended to be run after a fresh installation of Kubuntu 22.04\nAND a full upgrade and reboot of the system. \nEvery one of the three steps in this script is intended to be run only once \n(that means if you answer \"y\" or \"Y\" to a step), but can be run independently.\nIn theory it should also work with a Kubuntu 22.04 installation that has been \nused for a while, but BE AWARE THAT ALL PROGRAMS YOU ADDITIONALLY INSTALLED AS \nSNAPS ARE BEING REMOVED!"
              echo -e "\nYou will be asked for confirmation before every step and if you answer \"n\" or \n\"N\" to all steps no changes at all are made to your system.\n\nThis script comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.\nIt may be used, shared, copied and modified freely.\nFor some more information see the comments within the script itself.\n\n"
              read -p "Press [Enter] to continue, press [Ctrl] [c] to exit. "

#####
              # Remove Firefox Snap, snapd and installed Snaps entirely and block future
              # installation of Snaps like Linux Mint does
              #####
              echo -e "\n#####\n# Step 1 of 3:\n# Do you want to remove and block Snaps entirely from Kubuntu 22.04?\n#####"
              while true
              do
                  read -p "[y/n] " answer
                  if [[ "$answer" = [Yy] ]]
                  then
                      # Test if snapd is installed
                      if command -v snap &> /dev/null
                      then
                          # Uninstall Firefox Snap
                          sudo snap remove firefox
                          # Disable Snap daemon
                          sudo systemctl disable --now snapd.service
                          # Remove snapd and remaining Snaps entirely
                          echo -e "\n-> Removing snapd :\n" && sudo apt-get purge -y snapd
                          # Uninstall Snap support for Discover, if it is still installed
                          if dpkg -l plasma-discover-backend-snap | grep "^ii" &> /dev/null ; then echo -e "\n-> Removing plasma-discover-backend-snap :\n" && sudo apt-get purge -y plasma-discover-backend-snap ; fi
                          # Uninstall Snap support libraries/tools, if they are still installed
                          if dpkg -l libsnapd-qt1 | grep "^ii" &> /dev/null ; then echo -e "\n-> Removing libsnapd-qt1 :\n" && sudo apt-get purge -y libsnapd-qt1 ; fi
                          if dpkg -l squashfs-tools | grep "^ii" &> /dev/null ; then echo -e "\n-> Removing squashfs-tools :\n" && sudo apt-get purge -y squashfs-tools ; fi
                          echo -e "\n-> Removing Snap directories."
                          # Remove snap directory from $HOME, if it exists
                          if [[ -d "$HOME/snap" ]] ; then sudo rm -rf $HOME/snap ; fi
                          # Remove snap directory from /root, if it exists
                          if sudo test -d "/root/snap" ; then sudo rm -rf /root/snap ; fi
                          # Remove snap directory from /var, if it exists
                          if [[ -d "/var/snap" ]] ; then sudo rm -rf /var/snap ; fi
                          # Remove snapd directory from /var/cache, if it exists
                          if [[ -d "/var/cache/snapd" ]] ; then sudo rm -rf /var/cache/snapd ; fi
                          # AdditionaLlly remove snapd directory from /var/lib, if it exists
                          if [[ -d "/var/lib/snapd" ]] ; then sudo rm -rf /var/lib/snapd ; fi
                          # AdditionaLlly remove snapd directory from /usr/lib, if it exists
                          if [[ -d "/usr/lib/snapd" ]] ; then sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/snapd ; fi
                          # Prevent Snaps from being installed again by pinning in /etc/apt/preferences.d, like Linux Mint does
                          echo -e "\n-> Writing the following to /etc/apt/preferences.d/no_snapd.pref :\n"
                          echo -e "# To prevent repository packages from triggering the installation of Snap,\n# this file forbids snapd from being installed by APT.\n\nPackage: snapd\nPin: release a=*\nPin-Priority: -10\n" | sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/no_snapd.pref
                          break
                      else
                          echo -e "\nSnapd does not seem to be installed -> not changing anything …"
                          break
                      fi
                  fi
                  if [[ "$answer" = [Nn] ]]
                  then
                      break
                  fi
              done

#####
              # Install Firefox binary from Mozilla.org - see:
              # https://wiki.debian.org/Firefox#From_Mozilla_binaries
              #####
              echo -e "\n#####\n# Step 2 of 3:\n# Do you want to download and install the latest stable Firefox binary from \n# Mozilla.org? It will be installed in /opt and for all users.\n#####"
              while true
              do
                  read -p "[y/n] " answer
                  then
                      # Test if Firefox is installed as a binary or from a PPA
                      if [[ -d "/opt/firefox" ]] || [[ -d "/usr/lib/firefox" ]]
                      then
                          echo -e "\nFirefox seems to be already installed as a binary or from a PPA\n-> not changing anything …"
                          break
                      else
                          # Download latest stable Firefox binary - be sure to check for the right
                          # language, see:
                          # https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/latest/README.txt
                          cd $HOME/Downloads
                          wget -O firefox-latest-stable.tar.bz2 "https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-latest&os=linux64&lang=en-US"
                          # Decompress, install to /opt and clean up
                          tar xjf firefox-latest-stable.tar.bz2
                          sudo mv firefox /opt
                          rm firefox-latest-stable.tar.bz2
                          # Make Firefox binary accessible from CLI
                          sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/firefox
                          # Create firefox.desktop in /usr/share/applications to give all users
                          # access via application menu
                          echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nName=Firefox\nComment=Browse the World Wide Web\nGenericName=Web Browser\nKeywords=Internet;WWW;Browser;Web;Explorer\nExec=/opt/firefox/firefox %u\nTerminal=false\nType=Application\nIcon=/opt/firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default/default128.png\nCategories=Network;WebBrowser;\nMimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;\nStartupNotify=true\nActions=Private;\n\n[Desktop Action Private]\nExec=/opt/firefox/firefox --private-window %u\nName=Open in private mode\n" | sudo tee /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
                          # Make Firefox binary the main application for www-browser
                          sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-www-browser x-www-browser /opt/firefox/firefox 200 && sudo update-alternatives --set x-www-browser /opt/firefox/firefox
                          break
                      fi
                  fi
                  then
                      break
                  fi
              done

#####
              # Install Flatpak support (also for Discover) and enable the Flathub repo
              #####
              echo -e "\n#####\n# Step 3 of 3:\n# Do you want to install Flatpak support (also for Discover) and enable the \n# Flathub repo as a replacement for Snaps?\n#####"
              while true
              do
                  read -p "[y/n] " answer
                  then
                      # Test if Flatpak is installed
                      if command -v flatpak &> /dev/null
                      then
                          echo -e "\nFlatpak support seems to be already installed -> not changing anything …"
                          break
                      else
                          # Install Flatpak and Flatpak support for Discover
                          sudo apt-get install flatpak plasma-discover-backend-flatpak
                          # Enable the Flathub repo
                          sudo flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
                          break
                      fi
                  fi
                  then
                      break
                  fi
              done

#####
              # Recommend system reboot
              #####
              echo -e "\n#####\n# It is strongly recommended to reboot your system now if you let this script\n# change anything.\n#\n# Have a nice day and enjoy (a snap-free) Kubuntu 22.04.\n#####\n"
              To use the script
              • copy and paste the code into a blank Kate document
              • save it as e.g. "de-snap_Kubuntu_2204.sh" to you home directory
              • make it executable in Dolphin or CLI (in Konsole go to the directory you saved the script to and chmod +x de-snap_Kubuntu_2204.sh)
              • in Konsole go to the directory you saved the script to and run it with ./de-snap_Kubuntu_2204.sh

PS: If anybody has some corrections, suggestions or ideas, please feel free to post them!
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 07, 2023, 08:04 AM. Reason: minor improvements to the script
              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post

Away with the blues - I had some scripts lying around and I put something together, so you can easily enjoy Kubuntu 22.04 without Snaps - just run the little script after installation.

It will offer you three choices in three steps:
                1. Do you want to remove Snaps entirely from Kubuntu 22.04?
                2. Do you want to download and install the latest stable Firefox binary from Mozilla.org?
                3. Do you additionally want to enable Flatpak support (also in Discover) and the Flathub repo as a replacement for Snaps?

If you want to have slightly newer KDE packages I consider it a no-brainer to enable the Kubuntu backports PPA or even the Kubuntu backports-extra PPA (the latter for Plasma 5.25.5).

So here is the script for you (and anybody else who is interested, of course!):
                Code:
                #!/bin/bash

###
                # This is a little helper script for Kubuntu 22.04 users who want to get rid of Snaps entirely and use the Firefox binary from Mozilla.org instead.
                # It installs the en-US version of Firefox - to change that see line 66 and edit line 68 of this script.
                #
                # This Firefox binary behaves roughly like the ones for macOS or Windows and updates itself independently from APT package management (and can ask you before updating, if you would prefer this - see Firefox settings for that).
                #
                ### IMPORTANT:
                ### This script is intended to be run after a fresh installation of Kubuntu 22.04 AND a full upgrade and restart of the system.
                ### Every one of the three steps in this script is intended TO BE RUN ONLY ONCE (that means if you answer "y" or "Y" to a step).
                ### In theory it should also work with a Kubuntu 22.04 installation that has been used for a while, but BE AWARE THAT ALL PROGRAMS YOU ADDITIONALLY INSTALLED AS SNAPS ARE BEING REMOVED!
                #
                # You will be asked for confirmation before every main step and if you answer "n" or "N" to all questions no changes at all are made to your system.
                #
                # This script comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
                # It may be used, shared, copied and modified freely.
                # For some more information see the comments within this script.
                ###

###
                # Display purpose of this script
                ###
                clear
                echo -e "This is a little helper script for Kubuntu 22.04 users who want to get rid of \nSnaps entirely and use the Firefox binary from Mozilla.org instead.\nIt installs the en-US version of Firefox - to change that see line 66 and edit \nline 68 of the script.\n\nThis Firefox binary behaves roughly like the ones for macOS or Windows and \nupdates itself independently from APT package management (and can ask you \nbefore updating, if you would prefer this - see Firefox settings for that).\n\nIMPORTANT:\nThis script is intended to be run after a fresh installation of Kubuntu 22.04\nAND a full upgrade and restart of the system. \nEvery one of the three steps in this script is intended TO BE RUN ONLY ONCE \n(that means if you answer \"y\" or \"Y\" to a step).\nIn theory it should also work with a Kubuntu 22.04 installation that has been \nused for a while, but BE AWARE THAT ALL PROGRAMS YOU ADDITIONALLY INSTALLED AS \nSNAPS ARE BEING REMOVED!"
                echo -e "\nYou will be asked for confirmation before every main step and if you answer \"n\" \nor \"N\" to all steps no changes at all are made to your system.\n\nThis script comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.\nIt may be used, shared, copied and modified freely.\nFor some more information see the comments within the script itself.\n\n"
                read -p "Press [Enter] to continue. "

###
                # Remove snapd and installed Snaps
                ###
                echo -e "\nStep 1 of 3\nDo you want to remove Snaps entirely from Kubuntu 22.04?"
                while true ; do
                read -p "[y/n] " answer
                then
                snap remove firefox
                sudo systemctl stop snapd.service
                sudo apt purge -y snapd*
                sudo apt autoremove
                sudo apt autoclean
                # Remove snap directory from $HOME, if it already exists
                if [ -d "$HOME/snap" ] ; then sudo rm -rf $HOME/snap ; fi
                # Remove snap directory from /var, if it already exists
                if [ -d "/var/snap" ] ; then sudo rm -rf /var/snap ; fi
                # Remove snapd directory from /var/cache, if it already exists
                if [ -d "/var/cache/snapd" ] ; then sudo rm -rf /var/cache/snapd ; fi
                # Prevent Snaps from being installed again, like LinuxMint does
                echo -e "# To prevent repository packages from triggering the installation of Snap,\n# this file forbids snapd from being installed by APT.\n\nPackage: snapd\nPin: release a=*\nPin-Priority: -10\n" | sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnapd.pref
                break
                fi
                then
                break
                fi
                done

###
                # Install Firefox binary from Mozilla.org - see: https://wiki.debian.org/Firefox#From_Mozilla_binaries
                ###
                echo -e "\nStep 2 of 3\nDo you want to download and install the latest stable Firefox binary from Mozilla.org?"
                while true ; do
                read -p "[y/n] " answer
                then
                # Download latest stable Firefox binary (be sure to check for the right language, see: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/latest/README.txt), decompress and install to /opt
                cd $HOME/Downloads
                wget -O firefox-latest-stable.tar.bz2 "https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-latest&os=linux64&lang=en-US"
                tar xjf firefox-latest-stable.tar.bz2
                sudo mv firefox /opt
                rm firefox-latest-stable.tar.bz2
                # Make Firefox binary accessible from CLI
                sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/firefox
                # Create firefox.desktop in /usr/share/applications to give all users access via application menu
                echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nName=Firefox\nComment=Browse the World Wide Web\nGenericName=Web Browser\nKeywords=Internet;WWW;Browser;Web;Explorer\nExec=/opt/firefox/firefox %u\nTerminal=false\nType=Application\nIcon=/opt/firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default/default128.png\nCategories=Network;WebBrowser;\nMimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;\nStartupNotify=true\nActions=Private;\n\n[Desktop Action Private]\nExec=/opt/firefox/firefox --private-window %u\nName=Open in private mode\n" | sudo tee -a /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
                # Make Firefox binary the main application for www-browser
                sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-www-browser x-www-browser /opt/firefox/firefox 200 && sudo update-alternatives --set x-www-browser /opt/firefox/firefox
                break
                fi
                then
                break
                fi
                done

###
                # Install Flatpak support (also for Discover) and enable the Flathub repo
                ###
                echo -e "\nStep 3 of 3\nDo you want to enable Flatpak support and the Flathub repo as a replacement for Snaps?"
                while true ; do
                read -p "[y/n] " answer
                then
                # Install Flatpak and Flatpak support for Discover
                sudo apt install flatpak plasma-discover-backend-flatpak
                # Enable the Flathub repo
                flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
                break
                fi
                then
                break
                fi
                done

###
                # Recommend system reboot
                ###
                echo -e "\nIt is recommended to reboot your system now if you let this script change anything.\n\nHave a nice day and enjoy a snap-free Kubuntu 22.04!\n"​

PS: If anybody has some corrections, suggestions or ideas, please feel free to post them!
                I like your script, but there appears to be other prelim work to be done. I follow this script:
                https://www.kevin-custer.com/blog/di...and-20-04-lts/
                Boot Info Script

Comment

Thank you for your feedback.
                  Could you specify what prelim work exactly and why?
                  As far as I can see there is nothing in your link that has to be done additionally to my script - in a fresh Kubuntu 22.04 installation that is, where at the most Firefox snap has been started before. Double-checked it again.

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Thank you for your feedback.
                    Could you specify what prelim work exactly and why?
                    As far as I can see there is nothing in your link that has to be done additionally to my script - in a fresh Kubuntu 22.04 installation that is, where at the most Firefox snap has been started before. Double-checked it again.
                    This, and its very specific how its done:
                    Code:
                    sudo snap remove snap-store
                    sudo snap remove gtk-common-themes
                    sudo snap remove gnome-3-34-1804
                    sudo snap remove core18
                    sudo snap remove snapd​
                    Boot Info Script

Comment

That command DOES install full language support, of sorts.

sudo apt-get install `check-language-support -l [code]`
                      might target what you want better.

*bunntu and Debian are sort of known for having decent language support, maybe even easier support, though I am no expert.

With an Arch-like system, I can't say, but similar to neon, things will definitely be more hands-on.
                      So it becomes a trade off, or balancing act of which things are simpler or easier to modify to your liking.
                      De-snapping but having helper utils and possibly better support in some areas vs no driver manager and needing more hands-on work for things (drivers, possibly language stuff) and better/different support in other areas.

This is the sort of thing no one seems to report on or write reviews about so much.

Comment

OK, sorry for being OT here:

Originally posted by verndog View Post
                        This, and its very specific how its done:
                        Code:
                        sudo snap remove snap-store
                        sudo snap remove gtk-common-themes
                        sudo snap remove gnome-3-34-1804
                        sudo snap remove core18
                        sudo snap remove snapd​
                        snap-store is not installed in Kubuntu 22.04 and the rest has not been necessary in any of my different installations and tests with Kubuntu 22.04 so far.​
                        This prelim work might be necessary for Ubuntu for some reason I am not aware of.

To be a bit more on topic:
                        Endeavor OS is a good way to install Arch for sure, but a rolling distribution (and Arch per se) really is another cup of tea than KDEneon or Kubuntu

Comment

OK, sorry for being OT here:

snap-store is not installed in Kubuntu 22.04 and the rest has not been necessary in any of my different installations and tests with Kubuntu 22.04 so far.​
                          This prelim work might be necessary for Ubuntu for some reason I am not aware of.

To be a bit more on topic:
                          Endeavor OS is a good way to install Arch for sure, but a rolling distribution (and Arch per se) really is another cup of tea than KDEneon or Kubuntu
                          Your right, that link is for Ubuntu as stated, but where did EndeavourOS come into the picture?
                          Boot Info Script

Comment

[…]

I was so mad yesterday I even downloaded a copy of English Windows 10 (my machine came with Japanese Windows)

But that's another can of worms... Or snakes! I haven't used MS since Windows 3.11....​
                            The frustration of Beerislife was one of the reasons I put the script together.
                            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Dec 25, 2022, 07:21 AM.

Comment

I tried setting locale related stuff and Plasma settings complained that it couldn't because (If I remember) check-language-support was not installed. That really must be a bug.

I do agree that the rest isn't the fault of Neon.

I'm having a bad few days with Linux at the moment. One thing or another is annoying me.

But that's another can of worms... Or snakes! I haven't used MS since Windows 3.11....

Somehow missed this post. Yes, I have EndevourOS KDE installed. Works without issue. Then again, my hardware is much different than yours. Also, I've successively remove snap and all its children with the link I showed above.

Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
                              X