Neon doesn't like xorg.conf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neon doesn't like xorg.conf

I've tried this in Mint Cinnamon and it works just fine, but KDE Neon stops booting if there's an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file present!

Basically, I need to set the last entries to force composition pipeline for my system. Otherwise I have to fire up nvidia settings and do it manually on every reboot!

Code:
    # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
    # nvidia-settings: version 510.47.03

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout0"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "DELL S3222HS"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh 48.0 - 75.0
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Device0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option "Stereo" "0"
    Option "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-1"
    Option "metamodes" "1920x1080_75 +0+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On, ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On}"
    Option "SLI" "Off"
    Option "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option "BaseMosaic" "off"
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    ​
    Constant change is here to stay!

I can't speak to xorg.conf not working as I haven't used one in years. You might get onto the kdeneon IIRC channels and ask there. Someone usually responds.

If all you need is the "last entries" - I assume you mean the "Screen" section - why try and load the whole thing from xorg.conf? You can load just the Monitor and Screen sections in /etc/xorg.conf.d :

https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages...rg.conf.5.html
    and
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg#Configuration

As far as using nvidia-settings - again, many years since I used it - but if IIRC you can save your preferred settings in a file and load it when you log in.

https://www.systutorials.com/docs/li...idia-settings/

I'm rather confused why you need all those settings, like "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" if you only have a single monitor. Seems like xrandr could handle the resolution settings easily. From what little I found about "force composition pipeline" it has no effect unless you'er scaling the display, which I don't see in the above.

Please Read Me

Comment

I am going to echo what oshunluvr said as I too was confused why you needed to force the pipeline on. If I may ask, what is it you are you using the GPU for (cuda/video editing/etc)?

If you are scaling (over-scanning a smaller resolution) then xrandr is the tool to use.

Basically though, you will want to put entries like this in

/usr/share/x11/xorg.conf.d/

by creating a file something like

sudo touch 20-nvidia.conf

and adding entries as you would the old fashioned way. I run a dual GPU/quad monitor setup for 3D animation and video editing/compositing and the only custom setting I have made to xorg.conf.d was turning coolbits on to allow me to overclock. You may want to check the prefix number. That is what I used for coolbits. You will only want part of it too, not the entirety of the entry. That is dynamically generated. You are just adding "addendums".

I had to configure xrandr by hand as I use both mixed resolutions and rotated monitors. Its not too hard to learn the basics. Gets a little scary when more advanced requirements are needed.

https://x.org/releases/X11R7.5/doc/m.../xrandr.1.html
      Last edited by ShadYoung; Jan 03, 2023, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I was trying to find the best combination of settings for better performance for X-Plane with my not very powerful GTX 1050ti 4Gb card.

With only a 230W PSU that's the max this PC will take (I should have gone for an AMD RX570 or RX580 4Gb card!)

The best settings I've found are Vsync off, Force Composition Pipeline on, and powermizer set to max performance.

In other threads I've listed other niggles I had with Neon Kernel files disappearing, Firefox opening extra tabs and others)

I don't want to muck around with this stuff until maybe the end of March when I get back from Thailand (If I can find a good deal on the fright)

So, I'm on Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon where I'm not having any problems.

I'll be back, possibly...

Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Working...
        X