No announcement yet.

Upgrade to 22.0 is a TOTAL mess.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a convenience debian and Ubuntu package python-is-python3 and all it does is symlink /usr/bin/python to python3. I suppose it will break Python 2 scripts with a "python" shebang, but so does having no /usr/bin/python.

I've just plunged into a project that uses Python a lot, and I regret not using a Python virtual environment, aka venv. I've now got a mess, and at some point, I'm going to have to wipe everything Python back to stock Kubuntu and start again. If you have, or wish to avoid, Python dependency issues using venv might be the ticket.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

What they should make is a compiler.
      Like a proper one, with the option of including all necessary modules.
      So you can have one binary, it will run for that platform regardless, and just leave python to the programmers who happen to like it.
      Imagine if C++ worked like python does, what a mess...

Comment

Neon is missing the 32bit arch extensions. You can add them thus:

Code:
        sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386​
        That might (should) solve the Wine dependency issues.
        Last edited by ShadYoung; Nov 04, 2022, 04:24 PM.

Comment

As for Wine itself and gaming, an easy solution for me is to just install a windows game as a non-Steam game in Steam and use Proton. This can also be done using Lutris or ProtonUp-Qt (https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/1...oton-installs/)

I'm sure there are use cases for running straight Wine, but they are fast becoming fewer and father between these days. I run games like Morrowind and various Fallout games (III, New Vegas) via Steam even though they were purchased via GoG. Also makes modding games insanely easier. One can always check ProtonDB.

As for non-games, that may take a different approach such as Bottles, for example.
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
          X