Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Risky early adoption of KDEneon Jammy base!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure this is a bug needing reporting, so I'll put it here first.

The SDDM Login Screen is smaller than I personally want. I want it to match the set Desktop resolution. According to Dedoimedo, this is addressable. I followed his How to scale the Plasma login screen on HD/UHD screens post, but when I rebooted, the SDD Login Screen didn't change at all. To be clear, I'm running KDE neon in an Oracle Virtualbox VM on my 27" iMac.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 8.22.54 AM.png
Views:	295
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	665127
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      You didn't change that? The sed command in your post would need to be modified to suit of course, but you could of course just use Kate or your text editor of choice.

I upgraded but the link is found in the matrix chat channel. It isnt public yet

Gimme a sec

Here
      http://files.kde.mirror.pangea.pub/.preview/
      I decided against doing the manual install.

Thanks for the link.

I DL'd the ISO and made a VM using it. Works great. Took about 5 minutes to create the VM, most of the time being taking between 80% and 90% on the progress bar. So far, no problems. From the kernel to the version of plasma and framework everything is identical to my current Neon install, except that I used EXT4 instead of BTRFS in the VM.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Not sure this is a bug needing reporting, so I'll put it here first.

The SDDM Login Screen is smaller than I personally want. I want it to match the set Desktop resolution. According to Dedoimedo, this is addressable. I followed his How to scale the Plasma login screen on HD/UHD screens post, but when I rebooted, the SDD Login Screen didn't change at all. To be clear, I'm running KDE neon in an Oracle Virtualbox VM on my 27" iMac.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 8.22.54 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	26.5 KB ID:	665127
        I found this. Don't know if it will work or not.
        KDE / KWin

Warning: As SDDM will be treated as a separate window by KWin, logging in will close the window. Therefore logging out or switching user will present undesirable behaviour.
        Tip: Any changes to your display configuration in KDE Wayland (e.g. monitor layout, resolution, etc) will not persist to SDDM. To make them persist, open KDE's System Settings and navigate to Startup and Shutdown> Login Screen (SDDM) and click "Apply Plasma Settings...". You will need to have permission to perform this action.

Add the following as a parameter to CompositorCommand into the SDDM config file created above (e.g /etc/sddm.conf.d/10-wayland.conf):

/etc/sddm.conf.d/10-wayland.conf[Wayland]
        CompositorCommand=kwin_wayland --no-lockscreen

To enable virtual keyboard support (e.g. using qt5-virtualkeyboard or maliit-keyboard), append the --inputmethod flag with the appropriate keyboard to the kwin_wayland command, like so (replacing maliit-keyboard with qtvirtualkeyboard as necessary):

/etc/sddm.conf.d/10-wayland.conf[Wayland]
        CompositorCommand=kwin_wayland --no-lockscreen --inputmethod maliit-keyboard​
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GreyGeek Thanks, but I've already did the "Apply Plasma Settings..." and it had no effect. As to the other, I'm not logging in with Wayland.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

sddm uses xorg currently even when logging in to a wayland session. My guess is a driver oddity or something related to the virtual video card.

Comment

Started 5 minutes ago, so lets see how this goes on this Panasonic CF-53

EDIT: So about 75 minutes later and rebooted fine. Back to where I was. So far, nothing jumps out. Very smooth process.
              Last edited by MoonRise; Sep 15, 2022, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Is there a timeline on the release of the new base? I'm currently running Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon and eagerly waiting for the rebased Neon, without the Firefox Snap! I was going to install the latest Kubuntu but didn't want to go through the hassle of desnapping it which Mint has already done! Perhaps I can add the Neon repo to Mint? :-)
                Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                  Is there a timeline on the release of the new base? I'm currently running Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon and eagerly waiting for the rebased Neon, without the Firefox Snap! I was going to install the latest Kubuntu but didn't want to go through the hassle of desnapping it which Mint has already done! Perhaps I can add the Neon repo to Mint? :-)

No timeline but my edumacated guess is next week
                  Neon will NOT be snap free. They don't touch much of anything outside of Plasma.

My less edumacated guess is that it will be much easier/quicker to de snap kubuntu and neon than to turn mint into neon.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                    Started 5 minutes ago, so lets see how this goes on this Panasonic CF-53

EDIT: So about 75 minutes later and rebooted fine. Back to where I was. So far, nothing jumps out. Very smooth process.
                    does the upgraded systemd version and its resultant use by plasma for login duties fix your login sound issue?

Comment

YES!!!! Yes it does!

Aaaaannnd I found out about the Trash sound too. So, it seems if you clear the trash by right clicking the Trash icon itself, no sound. However, if you open up the trash and right click within the window with the files and clear out the trash from that path there is sound. So, I guess works but different from what I remember. Not sure why the trash icon path wouldn't play the same sound, but not going to worry about that.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        i also have a problem with Firefox and fullscreen videos, at least youtube, as well as playing powerpoints via Libreoffice
                        Well, that issue was solved.
                        My left monitor is FreeSync capable, and had this turned on (automatic). My main screen is not, and I can't recall if this even had a setting available for it before the upgrade. I just set adaptive sync to "never" from 'Automatic" and the problem of the occasional random full screen blink has gone away. Not once has it happened today so far.
                        Odd, in any case, as the kernel and mesa drivers etc (via PPA) are the exact same versions as they were in 20.04.

Comment

So far I can't report anything negative. It's been real smooth upgrade and function afterwords. I actually can say, it seems, that this Panasonic CF-53 works even better under this new base for some reason. Can't say why it seems that way but it does. Me like and will actually look at using the ISO on my work system since I still have a slew of issues on it when updating to K22.04. It's an HP ZBOOK, but it's really been buggy from day one regardless.

Comment

Today's update has resulted in "mount.ntfs" and "gam_server" (whatever that is) taking 50% and 36% respectively of CPU time. System is real laggy

Also, "dmesg" is no longer working without sudo - this appears to be a Kubuntu problem.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                              "gam_server" (whatever that is)
                              Wow, I remember something vaguely bad about that from way back in the early early Linux days, pre-Kubuntu even. Can't for the life of me recall what it is for, and none of the searching helps any, or brings up things newer than 2008 lol

I've seen no issues here, my gam_server is just fine and un-noticed. I don't have any NTFS mounts, either.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                              Also, "dmesg" is no longer working without sudo - this appears to be a Kubuntu problem.
                              No, not Kubuntu, they don't mess with things like that at all. And maybe not even Ubuntu, who simply inherited this from Debian's changes, if you will, and simply adopted this, following the security trend. Other distros were already doing this before 21.10.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kubuntu/com...tion_included/
                              https://www.phoronix.com/news/Ubuntu...esg-Needs-Root

Doing LTS-LTS upgrades bring heartache and pain, I guess?
                              And as usual, my upgrades over the decades general go well

I take that back. I just upgraded my nextcloud docker instance on my openmediavault server (Debian). That just went boom.
                              However, this apparently is not unusual for this particular software.
                              I may move to a simpler solution, like syncthing, which I have used before.

Comment

So the NTFS/gam_server thing just went away by itself. Latest annoyance was the avahi-daemon taking 40% CPU. I just uninstalled it. Everything coasting OK now

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                                X