Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Risky early adoption of KDEneon Jammy base!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Risky early adoption of KDEneon Jammy base!

Well, not really risky if you make backups...

I upgraded to the latest (still experimental) 22.04 base for KDE Neon just now. FYI took 2 hours and 20 minutes with a reasonably fast CPU and a very fast NVME drive. The upgrade installation went flawlessly at least. There were about 12 config files that changed and I accepted all of them except 2 I knew I had modified - updatedb.conf and one other.

First boot went well. It appears conky is sort of not working at this point. I have 4 instances of conky running and they didn't start with the desktop as they have before.

Reports coming as the happen...

Please Read Me

not really early tbh. Mostly not many takers on testing, at least publicly. I did mine last week. I may have been one of the true early birds. Only very minor issues with some python templates in the initial Neon-ification bits that were fixed immediately as they were discovered.

I only recall a couple of config changes, both were ones I had explicitly changed myself. Can't recall which ones, though.
    None of my semi-numerous PPAs caused any issues, and it definitely didn't take long at all for me. Maybe a half an hour or so? Maybe your specific Ubuntu mirror, or neon's lack of them is at play?

Snap users will note that FF is using the wrong cursor, for some reason, that connection is broken for some reason on neon. That can be remedied easily.
    snap connect firefox:icon-themes gtk-common-themes:icon-themes
    snap connect firefox:sound-themes gtk-common-themes:sound-themes

I have only seen two real issues with the upgrade.

Afterwards, most of my autostart items simply stopped autostarting. Oddly, the fix seemed to have happened after I logged in once to an Xorg session from my usual wayland one, though I did note someone else using xorg had a similar issue. As autostart in Plasma 5.25 is handled by systemd when the correct version is present, I assume that something hadn't been kicked off to start or restart that service, and it really had nothing to do with xorg.

i also have a problem with Firefox and fullscreen videos, at least youtube, as well as playing powerpoints via Libreoffice. The occasional screen blank, but only on one monitor. The 75Mhz one, not the 144Mhz one. This most definitely was not happening with 20.04, identical kernels, and the same exact mesa/driver versions
    This occurs using FF as a snap, as a deb, and in Wayland or Xorg. I have no clue how to troubleshoot the actual cause, though this is recent, not directly post-install, so I can roll back a few days and see.

Comment

So, how can I "early" install the upgrade to the new base? I have my Neon system waiting for that and I don't mind the early "testing". I am on the User version if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Never mind that. Just say Claydoh's other post.

Comment

See https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...jick-phrase-is
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's getting past my bedtime tonight, so I will try the upgrade tomorrow. My system is heavily modified, with both KVM, Python3 and Jupyter modifications, along with the need to recompile my 88x2bu wifi driver. But, that's what's fun about Linux!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Please do report things on the matrix channel so they know how things are going.

Comment

My conky issues appear to be a change in sensors. I'm getting a fatal error because hwmon/hwmon1/power1_average doesn't exist any longer.

I haven't has a chance to re-enable my additional PPAs (there's a lot). Been super busy here and my internet has been down for a week. Finally back up now <fingers crossed>

Please Read Me

Comment

Just finished upgrading to 22.04 on my VM installation of KDE neon User Edition. Took less than 40-minutes.

Comment

Well, there is something else I don't know.
                  root@jerry-hp17cn1xxx:/# neon-preview-upgrade
                  Cannot find 'org.kde.DistroReleaseNotifier.UseDevel' in object /org/kde/DistroReleaseNotifier at org.kde.DistroReleaseNotifier
                  I don't have Discover installed, and I won't install it or snap.

I am contemplating using the following method. Has anyone else used it? If so, how'd it go?
                  If I replace "Focal" with "Jammy" it should work. Yes? No?
                  Upgrading KDE Neon from terminal

If you’re not a fan of upgrading your OS through the GUI, you’ll be happy to know it’s very easy to do with the terminal. To start, launch a terminal window and use the sed commands below to change Neon’s repositories from Ubuntu Bionic to Ubuntu Focal (18.04 to 20.04).
                  sudo sed -i 's/bionic/focal/g' /etc/apt/sources.listsudo sed -i 's/bionic/focal/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/neon.list

After changing the two repos from “Bionic” to “Focal,” run the update command to update Neon so that it starts using the newly updated repositories.
                  sudo apt update

Following the update command, run the upgrade command to install all of the new packages available to install from the Focal repository for Neon.
                  sudo apt upgrade -y

Following the upgrade command, you will need to run the dist-upgrade command with the –allow-downgrades command-line switch.
                  sudo apt dist-upgrade --allow-downgrades

Finally, run the autoremove command to remove all of the packages from Neon 18.04 that are still present on the system. These packages could cause problems for the new update, so it’s best to remove them.
                  sudo apt autoremove

With all of the old packages uninstalled, reboot your computer. Once logged back in, you will be using KDE Neon 20.04!
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    If I replace "Focal" with "Jammy" it should work. Yes? No?
                    Probably it should work, but I dunno. Bionic-Focal might not be quite identical to focal-jammy, so it is up to you to test. Just make a snapshot and roll back if needed .
                    But you probably are a candidate for a fresh install, I imagine the upgrade will want to install discover, or barf if one of the main meta-packages is not there because of discover's removal (neon-desktop, plasma-desktop or something similar)

I think the main difference is that apt has changed from 2018 to 2022, so not sure if the –allow-downgrades would still be valid. However, as long as you make sure you are using the 'old' apt-get dist-upgrade and not the current apt full-upgrade it should act exactly the same as it did back then.

or pop into the matrix channel (during UK office hours ), and ask if there is a good, correct cli way to so the upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Just finished upgrading to 22.04 on my VM installation of KDE neon User Edition. Took less than 40-minutes.
                      That seems quick. Here; updated 820 files, then downloaded and install 3262 packages...

Please Read Me

Comment

I dist-upgraded before I ran neon-preview-upgrade. The downloading of the packages was relatively quick. The unpacking and configuring took the majority of the time (for me).

Comment

After a considerable amount of hard work I've reached noob status.

I tried the apt-get

:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree
                          Reading state information... Done
                          Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
                          Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
                          Done
                          Calculating upgrade... Done
                          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.​
                          My sources.list still points to Focal. I've decided against doing a terminal update.

Considering a fresh install, which is my usual MO, I went to https://files.kde.org/neon/images/ but didn't see any "Jammy" stuff, so I assume that is the wrong DL site. Where did you download the Jammy ISO?

Comment

My sources.list still points to Focal​
                            You didn't change that? The sed command in your post would need to be modified to suit of course, but you could of course just use Kate or your text editor of choice.

Where did you download the Jammy ISO?
                            I upgraded but the link is found in the matrix chat channel. It isnt public yet

Gimme a sec

Here
                            http://files.kde.mirror.pangea.pub/.preview/
                            Last edited by claydoh; Sep 14, 2022, 06:16 PM. Reason: apparently the quote option in mobile firefox is goofy

Comment

Work has me so bogged down I just really haven't had time. I'll try tomorrow evening if I can. I really want to try this.

Comment

Working...
                              X