Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K3B recommends MovxMaker-2 a program that hasn't been updated in 10 years?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K3B recommends MovxMaker-2 a program that hasn't been updated in 10 years?

First, I was a little surprized that K3B wasn't on my KDEneon install by default, but then after I thought about it, it makes sense. Most laptops don't even have CD/DVD rom drives any more and who uses CD's?

Anyway, I received a music CD as a gift and I wanted to load it onto my server for listening enjoyment, so I installed K3B to rip it to flac. Note the suggested packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]install k3b [/COLOR]
    Reading package lists... Done 
    Building dependency tree        
    Reading state information... Done 
    The following additional packages will be installed: 
     k3b-data 
    Suggested packages: 
     k3b-i18n [B]movixmaker-2 [/B]
    The following NEW packages will be installed: 
     k3b k3b-data 
    0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 13 not upgraded. 
    Need to get 2,767 kB of archives. 
    After this operation, 8,223 kB of additional disk space will be used.                                                                                                                                            
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
    [/FONT]
    MoviXMaker-2 hasn't been updated since 2007, however it's still available in Debian Wheezy, albeit under "oldoldstable" utils. I just thought it was weird that k3b still recommends it.

Please Read Me

Maybe there was a case for that for a while, in case people got it from another source, and just a 'suggests' doesn't cause issues.

However seems utterly pointless now.

https://packaging.neon.kde.org/forks...65c19e46248a52

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source....04.3-0ubuntu2
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Awesome, thanks.

Please Read Me

Comment

Two & 1/2 years ago, when I switched to Neon User Edition with BTRFS, I didn't install K3b because I hadn't burned a CD or DVD for a couple years even before then. I had switched to using USB sticks.

Earlier this year I thought my HD was failing so I ordered a replacement. When I opened the back to replace the HD I discovered that this Acer V3-771G had TWO HD ports, so I put the new HD in the second port instead, because information from members of this forum made it clear to me that my HD wasn't failing, so I left it in. I bought a Linux compatible HD Caddy from Amazon for $11 and took out the CDROM and stuck in the caddy with another new 750HD riding in it. Now I have three 750Gb HDs. Two are configured as RAID1 and one is used as a second pool for storage of snapshots.

Enter fiber optic. My apt was just wired up for fiber optic last week. It hasn't been turned on yet and I am still deciding between 100Mb or 1Gb. Either way, the speed down and up will be the same, and Allo doesn't have a monthly data cap. Even though my current Spectrum connection claims to be 60Mb, and speed tests show a "max" at that level although not consistently, my actual average speeds are half the max, and my actual DL speed maxes at 18-20Mbps and my UL maxes at 6Mbps.

IF I decide on 1Gb then I will probably install IPFS or NetZero on the third HD, if either of those protocols are compatible with BTRFS, which I think they are. And, I am wondering if I could create an IPFS image or link of KFN and/or of Neon?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X