wXL2 Nexrad analysis app called wxqt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wXL2 Nexrad analysis app called wxqt

A couple of giant thunderstorms rolled by this last week. Some clouds looked bad. I remembered that java weather sites used to include Nexrad products like a Velocity map.
    I looked around for some sites but they all show the same boring stuff: Temps (H,L), Humidity, and a rain map, sometimes animated. I began looking around specifically for a "linux nexrad velocity map" and found wXL23. It's mainly on Android and iOS. However, I found a wxqt version that one can compile on KDE Neon or Kubuntu for themselves. It is at https://gitlab.com/joshua.tee/wxqt

Before you unzip it and run it you must be sure that you have the following packages install:
    qtbase5-dev qtchooser qt5-qmake qtbase5-dev-tools

Then cd into the wxqt directory and run ./makeAll.bash
    The compile ran without fault on my KDE Neon and when it finished it automatically ran the app, which worked great.

I then made a link to wxqt/run.bash in the KDE Application menu to start it from that launcher, although Joshua Tee, the author, recommends always starting it from the command line.

Works beautifully. can give up to 30 frames of animation and allows nice zooming in or zooming out. It uses L2 is not supported but can be used. It default to L3. The L3 files are usually less than 300Kb, whereas the L2 files can be 3Mb or larger.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I read that wxqt was available in the Google Play Store. I checked. It was the highest rated Nexrad app in the store, with a 4.6 rating. I installed it. Runs great and allows access to the velocity vector map, which is used to pinpoint the location of tornadoes.

Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 06, 2022, 01:26 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      I...and allows access to the velocity vector map, which is used to pinpoint the location of tornadoes.
      Important for y'all MidWesterners! Now that I'm in North Carolina, we tend to watch those hurricanes more than the tornados!

Please Read Me

Comment

• GreyGeek
        GreyGeek commented
        Editing a comment
        It works great for Hurricanes, too. And, don't forget, tornadoes appear in the peripherals of hurricanes too!

I remember watching primary ATC RADAR over (Missouri mostly) from Olathe in the early 80's. I saw way too many "hook echoes" in those days.

Please Read Me

Comment

• GreyGeek
        GreyGeek commented
        Editing a comment
        This app uses the WRS88D (Weather Radar System, 1988, Doppler), aka, Nexrad. We have 3 Nexrad stations in Nebraska: Omaha, Hastings, North Platte. Our local TV station, KOLN channel 10/11, built their own Nexrad station here in town and they play a lot with it live on the air when the weather is bad.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 07, 2022, 07:49 AM.

Now that I'm in North Carolina, we tend to watch those hurricanes more than the tornados!
      I'm in a mobile home in Florida. We just lick our finger and stick it in the wind.

Comment

Working...
      X