Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the first time, using the steps indicated above, I decided to update my Linux kernel to 4.10.0-26 and apart from a typo or two it went well. I have two questions: would it have been easier to just tick the boxes in Synaptic? And what differences in performance, if any, should I expect?

Comment

Hi
      interesting thread.

My only real complaint about Neon Dev stable or unstable is that it has a LOT of updates that take a very long time on my install on a USB stick. If one peruses the net one will see many posts talking about how FAST an install on a USB stick is.

However, all such tend to be of distros which are lean and mean to begin with because the user is a person who literally wants to carry around a usb stick to jam into a windblows computer or is a system admin or something.

Also, it is incredibly SLOW when moving from one "part" of the system to another, such as closing say... a word processor and opening Dolphin.

When when the app finally opens and it can take half a minute, then the speed is fine it is the transition which lags horribly.

But, again, this is on a usb, the phenomenon does not occur when the OS is on a hard drive.

again, an interesting thread.

woodlikesthethreadsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
        Hi
        interesting thread.

My only real complaint about Neon Dev stable or unstable is that it has a LOT of updates that take a very long time on my install on a USB stick. If one peruses the net one will see many posts talking about how FAST an install on a USB stick is.

However, all such tend to be of distros which are lean and mean to begin with because the user is a person who literally wants to carry around a usb stick to jam into a windblows computer or is a system admin or something.

Also, it is incredibly SLOW when moving from one "part" of the system to another, such as closing say... a word processor and opening Dolphin.

When when the app finally opens and it can take half a minute, then the speed is fine it is the transition which lags horribly.

But, again, this is on a usb, the phenomenon does not occur when the OS is on a hard drive.

again, an interesting thread.

woodlikesthethreadsmoke
        the "phenomenon" your speaking of (slowness on USB) is dew to USB having slower read write speeds than an internal HD ,,,,,,if say you have 3 diferent USB sticks with the same install on all 3 ,,,,,,,,1 a first generation USB stick USB1 , the second a USB2 and the third a USB3 stick ,,,,,,you will see a large difference in speed of loading up a program between the USB1 and USB3 sticks .

when a program is started it gets loaded (written)to RAM from the stick (or HD on a installed to disk system) so the program runs from RAM on a slower drive like USB1 this will take some time ...this is the "lag" you see .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

smart man vinny!

It is a hassle but I figure that everybody does installs on hard drives so I thunk that I'd do something different.

woodthankeesmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
          X