Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] I seem to have lost my system sounds...

I'm not sure when it happened but I realize I have lost my system sounds, (e.g., new mail notifications, caps/num lock on or off, etc.). I can play videos, both local and online, listen to music, etc., but none of the system notifications I have set up seem to work.

Suggestions?

Addendum: I have setup two sound files to play when my powerchord is connected and disconnected, they still work. Mail notification and keyboard related notices do not.
    Last edited by SpecialEd; Apr 12, 2017, 01:17 PM.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

can we assume you have been in system settings>notifications> and checked your entries?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'm getting the same results here. I can't seem to figure out where or why. I'm wondering if it's a keyboard thing because all the other sounds are working here (I don't use the mail notification at this time).

Please Read Me

Comment

yes I see now ,,,I haven't used these in a wile and no key events are playing a sound or showing a pop up if selected ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Mmmm... I never noticed that, but I'm hard of hearing and don't wear my hearing aids while using my computer & headphones.

I checked and noticed that NONE of the events for any app had any sound files selected nor was any of the "Play Sound" check boxes checked. I added some to KMail and tested them. Had to turn down the volume on my headphones!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            can we assume you have been in system settings>notifications> and checked your entries?

VINNY
            Yes, repeatedly. Sorry, I did not mention that, I guess it's not something you can take for granted around here. Also when I'm in system settings and test the sound(s) they play fine. GG's post gave me an idea and I tried it with headphones and no change.
            Last edited by SpecialEd; Apr 12, 2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
              Yes, repeatedly. Sorry, I did not mention that, I guess it's not something you can take for granted around here. Also when I'm in system settings and test the sound(s) they play fine. GG's post gave me an idea and I tried it with headphones and no change.
              And you hit the "Apply" button after you selected an ogg for each event?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                And you hit the "Apply" button after you selected an ogg for each event?
                If you try to leave the page without first hitting "apply" a warning box pops up requiring you to make a choice of apply, discard, or cancel. There's no getting around it. At least on my system.

Comment

If you try to leave the page without first hitting "apply" a warning box pops up requiring you to make a choice of apply, discard, or cancel. There's no getting around it. At least on my system.
                  True, but you'd be amazed at the number of people who ignore the obvious. When you select an ogg sound file and then click the play button does it play and make a sound?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    True, but you'd be amazed at the number of people who ignore the obvious. When you select an ogg sound file and then click the play button does it play and make a sound?
                    Yes, see post 6, above.

Comment

Found it! Settings>Desktop Behavior>Accessibility>Modifier Keys>"Use Plasma's Notification Mechanism..."

This fixes modifier key notifications, I have yet to fix email notifications.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-04-13_00-17-25.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	643497
                      Last edited by SpecialEd; Apr 12, 2017, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Found it! Settings>Desktop Behavior>Accessibility>Modifier Keys>"Use Plasma's Notification Mechanism..."

This fixes modifier key notifications, I have yet to fix email notifications.
                        I had a feeling is was something like that, but why you would put the same function in two places I can't imagine.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          I had a feeling is was something like that, but why you would put the same function in two places I can't imagine.
                          There seems to be a lot of that in KDE/Plasma. Sometimes I feel like I have to pack a lunch and water bottle, put on my Miner's helmet and go spelunking in system settings.

Comment

There seems to be a lot of that in KDE/Plasma. Sometimes I feel like I have to pack a lunch and water bottle, put on my Miner's helmet and go spelunking in system settings.
                            And, while you are at it, browse through systemd, systemdctl and the systemd-ui, which you can add to System Settings.

Comment

Working...
                            X