This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Neon does not seem to use grub

Neon does not seem to use grub, altho I can see that it runs update-grub during a dist-upgrade. Instead, it displays a black screen with choices of systems on /dev/sda, but not those on /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc (picture attached).

I want to get rid of the splash option, but since grub does not even run...
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Unless you have replaced grub with something, neon has to use grub. What you are likely seeing (I don't see any picture attached to your post) is the customized grub menu that neon uses.

The reason you are not seeing your other installs is neon does not enable this feature by default.

Try this:

sudo chmod +x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober

then run update-grub.

Please Read Me

Comment

It does.

However, it uses a grub theme, and the theme settings are rather different that we are used to.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Which is why I set mine to show grub for about 5 seconds ...
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

To increase the time that the Grub menu is displayed, edit (as root) /etc/grub.d/00_header and increase the GRUB_TIMEOUT= value in:

if [ "x${GRUB_TIMEOUT}" = "x" ] ; then GRUB_TIMEOUT=5 ; fi

Save and close the file and then run: sudo update-grub2

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            To increase the time that the Grub menu is displayed, edit (as root) /etc/grub.d/00_header and increase the GRUB_TIMEOUT= value in:

if [ "x${GRUB_TIMEOUT}" = "x" ] ; then GRUB_TIMEOUT=5 ; fi

Save and close the file and then run: sudo update-grub2
            Curious - does Neon not use /etc/default/grub? That's kinda weird.
            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
              Curious - does Neon not use /etc/default/grub? That's kinda weird.
              It's very sparse:
              Code:
              GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub/themes/breeze/theme.txt
              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
              Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 11, 2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

It's very sparse; take a look at it.
                Working on it, but it looks like the way to Neon for me is gonna be through Kubuntu as I need a 32-bit UEFI on this tablet I'm working on.
                -- anais nin

Comment

KDE neon only comes in 64-bit installable .iso's.

KDE neon FAQ:

Is KDE neon 64bit only?

Yes. As computers without 64bit have become increasingly rare, we have chosen to focus our resources on higher-quality 64bit builds.
                  Interestingly though, on their Download page they indicate:
                  Download Source ISOs

Install using ROSA Image Writer for

So does that mean one can compile a 32-bit version of KDE neon? Not really sure about that.

Comment

KDE neon only comes in 64-bit installable .iso's.

KDE neon FAQ:

Interestingly though, on their Download page they indicate:
                    Download Source ISOs

Install using ROSA Image Writer for

So does that mean one can compile a 32-bit version of KDE neon? Not really sure about that.
                    There are some 2-in-one and other Windows devices that have 64 bit capable hardware but run a 32 bit efi. These need a 32 bit efi file placed into the 64 bit install iso, as there is no efi support on *buntu 32 bit images.
                    Technically, all one needs to do is extract the 64 bit iso contents onto a fat 32 formatted flash drive, and copy the bootia32.efi file to EFI/BOOT/
                    I have not done this with a neon iso in a while, as the 32 bit efi devices I have/had are too slow to run a Plasma desktop with any usefulness, on top of the lack of support for things such as sound. Kubuntu gave me fewer problems than Neon did if memory serves correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      ...I have not done this with a neon iso in a while, as the 32 bit efi devices I have/had are too slow to run a Plasma desktop with any usefulness, on top of the lack of support for things such as sound. Kubuntu gave me fewer problems than Neon did if memory serves correctly.
                      You know, I think what I'm gonna do is install to 32GB SD card on this Bay Trail tablet. It'll be dog slow but I can take the time to deep dive into the hardware issues and if I can get the thing working I can dd the partitions from the SD card to internal storage, reinstall grub and call it a day. Win10 is actually pretty snappy on the thing.

If I can't get it to work I'll just put the SD card back in my phone

Besides, I haven't dual booted in years. I'm one of those weirdos who prefers to chainload grub rather than fight with Windows over a bootloader so no impact at all to the Windows side of things if I can't get KDE to act right
                      Last edited by wizard10000; Mar 12, 2017, 03:13 AM.
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                        You know, I think what I'm gonna do is install to 32GB SD card on this Bay Trail tablet. It'll be dog slow but I can take the time to deep dive into the hardware issues and if I can get the thing working I can dd the partitions from the SD card to internal storage, reinstall grub and call it a day. Win10 is actually pretty snappy on the thing.

If I can't get it to work I'll just put the SD card back in my phone

Besides, I haven't dual booted in years. I'm one of those weirdos who prefers to chainload grub rather than fight with Windows over a bootloader so no impact at all to the Windows side of things if I can't get KDE to act right
                        If you have one of the faster ones it won't be terribly slow. I grabbed a couple of the faster Samsung ones that weren't overly expensive and used them on my Acer baytrail laptop-tablet as well as an HP baytrail tablet-laptop and speed wasn't atrocious until browser tabs were involved lol. Hardware support was spotty with 16.04 (sound in particular as well as power management and bluetooth) but it has been over 6 months so things might be better with a more current kernel especially in regards to the quirky sound systems these chipsets have.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          If you have one of the faster ones it won't be terribly slow. I grabbed a couple of the faster Samsung ones that weren't overly expensive and used them on my Acer baytrail laptop-tablet as well as an HP baytrail tablet-laptop and speed wasn't atrocious until browser tabs were involved lol. Hardware support was spotty with 16.04 (sound in particular as well as power management and bluetooth) but it has been over 6 months so things might be better with a more current kernel especially in regards to the quirky sound systems these chipsets have.
                          Debian testing multiarch with firmware booted just fine, but I got stopped by lack of wireless firmware. Apparently Ubuntu has wireless firmware (don't understand why Ubuntu would have it and Stretch not have it) so I think what I'm gonna do is install to SD card so I can dual boot the thing and see if I can get the hardware working. Sound driver refused to compile and I didn't deep-dive into it yet. Still trying to decide whether I want to do this bad enough to use ndiswrapper on the wireless thing if I have to

edit: Also, I found a utility made by the same folks who make EasyBCD that is supposed to be able to convert a Windows system from GPT to MBR without losing any data. If I do that I don't have to mess with the 32-bit EFI any more

https://neosmart.net/EasyRE/?utm_sou...%20UEFI%20Mode

cheers -
                          Last edited by wizard10000; Mar 13, 2017, 04:48 AM.
                          -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            Unless you have replaced grub with something, neon has to use grub. What you are likely seeing (I don't see any picture attached to your post) is the customized grub menu that neon uses.

The reason you are not seeing your other installs is neon does not enable this feature by default.

Try this:

sudo chmod +x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober

then run update-grub.
                            I just checked and everything in /etc/grub already has "x" permission.

/etc/grub.d$ ll
                            total 96
                            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 mars 11 07:53 ./
                            drwxr-xr-x 146 root root 12288 mars 22 16:03 ../
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9791 janv. 13 17:26 00_header*
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6258 mars 15 2016 05_debian_theme*
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12512 mars 1 22:01 10_linux*
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11082 janv. 13 17:26 20_linux_xen*
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1992 janv. 28 2016 20_memtest86+*
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11692 janv. 13 17:26 30_os-prober*
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1418 janv. 13 17:26 30_uefi-firmware*
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 214 janv. 13 17:26 40_custom*
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 216 janv. 13 17:26 41_custom*
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 483 janv. 13 17:26 README
                            'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Very odd. It looks like update-grub finds the systems on disks sdb1 and sdc3, but they do not show in the blue grub menu:

$ sudo update-grub
                              Generating grub configuration file ...
                              Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/breeze/theme.txt
                              Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-66-generic
                              Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-66-generic
                              Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-64-generic
                              Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-64-generic
                              Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-62-generic
                              Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-62-generic
                              Found Debian GNU/Linux (8.5) on /dev/sda3
                              Found Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS (16.04) on /dev/sda6
                              Found Debian GNU/Linux (8.2) on /dev/sdb1
                              Found Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS (14.04) on /dev/sdc3
                              Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
                              done

Any ideas? Thanks for your replies.

Comment

Working...
                              X