X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LTS not Neon compatible

I just saw this for the first time so I thought I'd share:

https://userbase.kde.org/Neon/LTS/EOL

I followed the instructions and had no issues.

Please Read Me

So, you were like that one person left who actually used the Neon LTS version, over the User edition, then ?

Comment

LOL, yup that was me...

Please Read Me

Comment

Wow! I never knew that KDE Neon had an LTS edition.
        My user edition is running beautifully!
        For grins and giggles I did a benchmark on it this evening:
        Code:
                        PassMark PerformanceTest Linux

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz (x86_64)
        4 cores @ 3300 MHz | 15.5 GiB RAM
        Number of Processes: 8 | Test Iterations: 1 | Test Duration: Medium
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------
        CPU Mark:                          5997
        Integer Math                      20430 Million Operations/s
        Floating Point Math               10223 Million Operations/s
        Prime Numbers                      25.4 Million Primes/s
        Sorting                           13780 Thousand Strings/s
        Encryption                         1939 MB/s
        Compression                          94 MB/s
        CPU Single Threaded                1876 Million Operations/s
        Physics                             443 Frames/s
        Extended Instructions (SSE)        3800 Million Matrices/s

Memory Mark:                       2010
        Database Operations                2482 Thousand Operations/s
        Memory Read Cached                21485 MB/s
        Memory Read Uncached              12326 MB/s
        Memory Write                       8247 MB/s
        Available RAM                      7119 Megabytes
        Memory Latency                       52 Nanoseconds
        Memory Threaded                   18298 MB/s
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use ESC or CTRL-C to exit
        A: Run All Tests C: Run CPU Tests M: Run Memory Tests U: Upload Test Results
        An aside: it used to be that when we put formatted text in between code markers the text would stay formatted. Not so in the new system. To keep the formatting I have to enter the "source" editor mode and save the post as such.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 03, 2021, 07:07 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

My user edition is running beautifully!
          I also use Neon user edition which runs nicely. Except I do not like the way it lately handles the updates. Its an imitation of Windows OS.

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
            I also use Neon user edition which runs nicely. Except I do not like the way it lately handles the updates. Its an imitation of Windows OS.
            You can disable it from within System Settings.

I like the idea, but only for things that warrant rebooting. Kernels and the like.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	KDE_NEON_software_update_settings.png Views:	0 Size:	291.4 KB ID:	657816

Open muon and click on settings, then on "configure software sources". If you haven't enabled "software-properties-kde" then create the lnk as shown below. That will allow you to enter your password.
              $ vdir /usr/bin/software*
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Oct 27 20:54 /usr/bin/software-properties-kde -> software-properties-qt
              -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6117 Apr 30 2021 /usr/bin/software-properties-qt

sudo 'ln -s /usr/bin/software-properties-qt /usr/bin/software-properties-kde'
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Don't forget to turn off 'Use offline updates' in System Settings. It reminds me too much of the one time Windows wanted to update itself until I removed all of its partitions!
                Attached Files
                Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                  Don't forget to turn off 'Use offline updates' in System Settings. It reminds me too much of the one time Windows wanted to update itself until I removed all of its partitions!
                  My System Settings does not have that setting.

Comment

This is my current version...
                    Attached Files
                    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Here's my Info. As you can see, our info is essentially the same, but I don't have that ofline update option.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	KDE_Neon_Info.png
Views:	227
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	658189

Comment

Then something is not right on your install, missing or removed for some reason.
                        Maybe see if you have the package neon-desktop installed, and if not, see what installing it pulls in.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          Then something is not right on your install, missing or removed for some reason.
                          Maybe see if you have the package neon-desktop installed, and if not, see what installing it pulls in.
                          I did some investigating and discovered that I do not have "apt-offline" and "apt-offline-gui" installed. So, I'm wondering if the offline update option in System Settings is the result of those two apps, But, I am not going to install them to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

I did some investigating and discovered that I do not have "apt-offline" and "apt-offline-gui" installed. So, I'm wondering if the offline update option in System Settings is the result of those two apps, But, I am not going to install them to find out.
                            That's not it at all. This is a systemd process, actually. I don't have either of these packages installed, either.

https://blog.neon.kde.org/2021/03/01...es-are-coming/
                            https://www.debugpoint.com/2021/03/o...-neon-arrives/

The above are slightly outdated now, since the addition of the setting in System Settings, but they do describe the process going on.
                            https://pointieststick.com/2021/04/1...-now-optional/

And the manpage:
                            https://www.freedesktop.org/software...e-updates.html

Comment

You solved it! Thanks Claydoh!

Comment

Working...
                              X