Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.8 kernel issues - no USB keyboard/mouse - Anyone having success?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] 4.8 kernel issues - no USB keyboard/mouse - Anyone having success?

I just tried to run KDEneon using the 4.8 kernel series. It seems to boot fine, but no keyboard or mouse. I even tried a wired keyboard but no difference. I assume the issue is with USB connectivity, but I can't get into the system when running 4.8.

I'm reviewing log files, but haven't found the magic bullet.

Anyone else using this kernel successfully?

Please Read Me

Well, solved it myself in about a minute

It seems linux-image-extra-4.8.0-32-generic is also needed if you're using USB? Seems very odd to have removed basic functionality from the core kernel package and then not make that a dependency.

Please Read Me

Comment

mmm.... nice to know, thanks
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Well, solved it myself in about a minute

It seems linux-image-extra-4.8.0-32-generic is also needed if you're using USB? Seems very odd to have removed basic functionality from the core kernel package and then not make that a dependency.
        ,,,,,,,the "extra" package always has the "extra" drivers ,,,,IF it is included in the set .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yeah, I get that I guess. But here's the description I got when I looked it up:

It contains extra drivers left out of the base kernel package; install it only if you need these drivers

Sometimes, a specific variant of the linux-image is slimmed down by removing the less common kernel modules (drivers). In this case, the linux-image-extra package simply contains all of the "extra" kernel modules which were left out.
          (emphasis added)

So my point is; In a world of USB keyboards and mice and no-floppies and no-cd drives (in many cases), how are the USB drivers "less common?" Seems counter-logic to me as you can't install or even USE your computer without them.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X