This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP PSC 1610 All-in-one install

I'm running KDE Neon User Edition, fully updated.

I needed to scan in 20 documents so I went to the garage and pulled out my HP 1610 bubble-jet. I got it new in 2005 and used it only a few months because it eats inkjet cartridges like there's no tomorrow.

I already have the HPLIP toolbox installed and my HP P1606dn is configured and runs nicely.

I plugged the power cord into the 1610 and plugged the USB cable from it to a USB port on my laptop. I powered it on. Neon recognized and configured in within a second, adding it with the 1606dn already listed. It took about an hour to scan those 20 documents. Now the 1610 is going back into the plastic bag it was in and back into the garage, because that's the first time since I can't remember when that I needed to scan something.

I just wanted to relate how smoothing KDE Neon recognized and installed the 1610.

(The ink cartridges were bone dry).
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

It's also a testament to the HP drivers and their compatibility with Linux. You pretty much can't go wrong with an HP Printer.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

For sure!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Funny about the ink Jerry - back then I had a similar issue. Loved my old HP all-in-one but the ink cost more than the printer! I actually bought a small cheap B/W laser that had a printing cost about one-tenth of the HP. Then I only used the HP when I needed color (and scan/fax functions). Fast forward to today, I have an HP 8600 Pro Deluxe that's economical to use, does double-sided printing AND scanning/faxing. Love it.

Since we're on this topic - I did just have an odd occurrence with this printer that's not documented well. I relocated my office to another room, when reassembling all the stuff, I discovered every time I plugged the HP into the phone line it took the phone system and internet down (combined provider - one modem: TV, internet, phone). I thought my beloved HP 8600 was dying or something bad had happened. Several hours of searching and trouble-shooting led me to a single comment in a random forum about using the HP supplied phone cable. The reason given was it's a two-wire instead of four-wire cable. I had switched cables around (for no reason, just random) and the phone in the office had the HP cable. I switched them back and all was well!

The real head-scratcher is: odd enough that it matters to the fax if it's a two or four wire connection, but I wired the phone lines and jacks in this office myself and only the two needed wires are connected! There's no four-line connection to anything. The two other wires in the phone jack are unconnected. I have spent too many hours trying to figure this one out already so it'll have to go down as a lifetime mystery.

Please Read Me

Comment

So, how many pages will the black cartridge print?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use the "High Yield" cartridges which claim ~2300 pages. I bought it in Feb. 2013 and have replaced cartridges twice. The current set are about a year old and show 1/4 used. The initial cartridges were obviously the regular size. I tried to buy the cartridges somewhere other than HP but there really aren't any better deals out there. HP seems to have figured this out and priced the cartridges right - or at least don't discount to commercial vendors. I don't mind supporting a company that offers Linux support and has such good hardware. I simply have never found a better option - the darn thing works and works very well.

Years back with previous model HP's, I did the off-brand, refurbished, and self-refilling cartridge options but it was always more trouble than it was worth. I think these current ones are pretty locked-down and you'd be wasting time and money to try and circumvent HP.

If you want cheap B/W printing, look at the Samsung Mono Lasers. Quick and efficient. I had an ML-2010 years ago. The toner cartridges are $25 off-brand and $40 for Samsung, and the basic current model printer - the M2030W - is $70. It will even print from your cell phone directly using NFC - just lay your phone on it and select print. I can't imagine why you would need to do that, but there you go. They had Linux drivers and ppd files - it was plug and play.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              ... I had an ML-2010 years ago. ...
              The ML-1210 was my first laser printer, which I bought, around 2008, after the HP PCS 1610 gave me so much trouble. It is also stored in the garage but I moved on because it was not duplex and begin jamming too often. My current duplex HP P1606dn has been in operation since around 2010.

That's some pretty good output for an inkjet printer. My P1606dn drum is good for 3,000 pages. I'm on my third.

Comment

Working...
              X