Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dolphin copy/move over NFS4 failing on large file sizes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin copy/move over NFS4 failing on large file sizes.

Saw this for the first time yesterday: It appears when I use Dolphin and attempt to copy a large (near or over 1GB) file over my network using NFS4 connection. The amount that makes it through is variable. On files near 1 GB, I can sometimes get a good transfer if I reattempt it a couple times, but my attempts with a 2GB file fail every time. almost every time. After a number of attempts, the 2GB file went through a couple times in a row.

I believe this is a Dolphin issue because at the CLI the cp commands work flawlessly. BTW, SAMBA also worked, albeit noticeably slower than NFS4 and to/from local disks all worked. So it appears to be related to NFS4 and Dolphin somehow. I'm getting no error messages (when launching Dolphin from the CLI) just a pop-up saying the copy failed.

I just wondered if anyone else has noticed this or if it's just my system...

Please Read Me

Got some thoughts

I routinely copy large files using NFS and although I haven't had any issues with dolphin I normally use mc because I like to monitor transfer speed. Target netbook only has a 100Mb NIC so I expect to see transfer rates around 8MB/sec. I really haven't seen any speed difference between dolphin and mc, though.

Are you mounting your NFS shares as sync or async? Even though I take a little speed hit I prefer using sync but that's just me. Part of the reason CIFS is slower than NFS is samba runs in a single thread while NFS is multithreaded.

Also, NFS block size. After much testing I set rsize and wsize both to 16384 bytes, so I'm transferring in 16k blocks. I didn't see much if any improvement going bigger than that.

Hope this helps -

edit: I use autofs to mount NFS shares; maybe my config will help you a little - my /etc/auto.master (this goes on the target machine)
    Code:
    /nfsmount /etc/auto.nfs --ghost

# /nfsmount is the name of my mount point and that directory must exist.  
    # autofs will create the other mount points and mount the shares on demand.  
    # I think they stay connected for ten minutes after last use then they unmount.  
    # This can cause slowdowns with shutdown or reboot if the machine has to wait 
    # for the NFS connections to time out.  (a minute and a half on my machine).
    My /etc/auto.nfs (also goes on the target machine) -
    Code:
    netbook-etc         -fstype=nfs,rw,nosuid,soft,rsize=16384,wsize=16384,intr,noatime 192.168.1.102:/etc
    netbook-home        -fstype=nfs,rw,nosuid,soft,rsize=16384,wsize=16384,intr,noatime 192.168.1.102:/home/wizard
    netbook-external    -fstype=nfs,rw,nosuid,soft,rsize=16384,wsize=16384,intr,noatime 192.168.1.102:/mnt/external
    and /etc/exports (from the machine hosting the shares) -
    Code:
    /etc                192.168.1.0/24(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
    /home/wizard        192.168.1.0/24(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
    /mnt/external       192.168.1.0/24(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
    Last edited by wizard10000; Nov 02, 2016, 06:31 AM.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Both computers, desktop and server, are "fixed" so I use fstab to mount:

/etc/fstab (client)
      Code:
      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]server:/ /shared nfs4 auto,bg,soft,timeo=5,retrans=5,actimeo=10,retry=5,users,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,noatime,x-systemd.automount 0 0[/COLOR]

[/FONT]
      /etc/exports (server)
      Code:
      /exports 192.168.1.0/24(rw,fsid=0,crossmnt,no_subtree_check,async,secure,nohide,all_squash,anonuid=65534,anongid=560)
      This has been running this way for years, but I've upgraded to KDEneon so I wonder if its related to kernel version or some other variable.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        ...This has been running this way for years, but I've upgraded to KDEneon so I wonder if its related to kernel version or some other variable.
        Yeah - I'm sure you know as well as I that there are no random events in information technology; everything has a cause.

I'm running Debian Unstable so I can't duplicate the Neon error. It might be interesting to run glances on both machines - in a terminal window on the source and an ssh session on the target and see if there's a bottleneck you can find; I'm wondering if iowait is off the charts and if so, whether that's network or disk.

Also - wonder if you're getting network dropouts; if you're dropping packets for an extended period something's gonna disconnect. I had rather poor performance with a 64k rsize/wsize, so maybe temporarily lowering them and using sync instead of async might help diagnose the issue.

On my network if the target gets disconnected during a file transfer dolphin will hang; probably because I'm displaying a directory that's no longer available.

That's about all the thoughts I have but there's a buncha smart people here - maybe someone else has ideas
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Yeah, I'll try going back to 32k first and see if it continues. I prefer the performance using async, but if that turns out to be the cause I'll have to revert to sync.

Please Read Me

Comment

I changed to 32k r/w and just did 5 copies of files between 1.5 and 2.2 GB and all went smoothly. Hoping this is all I have to do - Thanks for the hint!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X