• Show
Clear All

KDE Neon is NOW AWESOME, First Impressions/Fixes/Comparison_to_Gnome

First my Comparison to Gnome
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    KDE vs Gnome

KDE Neon,

• Preface
    • First understand that I think Ubuntu-Gnome is awesome and have been using it without issue for about a year. It has been the best of many Linux Distros that I have used over the past 8-9 years. and think that it is a clean, slick and fantastic DE, combining Form, Flexibility and Function A recent problem and a new Laptop led me to want to try a new DE.
    • So here I am writing from Ubuntu's KDE Neon beside Ubuntu-Gnome which allows for a good opportunity for comparison from both an experienced Linux User and from a relatively Newbies Perspective with KDE. This is written with the hopes of helping others with the decision to switch, helping both KDE and Gnome developers with future considered development decisions. Not to mention for FUN.
    • And to get one intrigued let me start with a surprising benchmark - All things being equal 90% BETTER Nvidia GPU Efficiency and Functionality. Almost TWICE the FPS using glxgears! Read on .....
    • Install
    • Looks Awesome
    • file:///tmp/Spectacle.J18271.png
    • Bad
    • "No Workspaces to Dock" the most popular and functional Gnome Extension.
    • Good
    • A Great Solution. A "Cairo-Dock" Addon "Switcher" provides an Awesome alternative. Just detach and stretch it tall.
    • Good
    • a little slicker
    • Setting a Windows Partition does NOT take an unintuitive 2 step process
    • Bad
    • BTRFS not recognized during install or after

• Applications
    • Good
    • I tried it a few months back and gave it my 5 hour attempt and said forget it too. But this time it is working quite well. And one of the things I despised about KDE 4-5 years ago was way too many programs (super bloated) and most ALL starting with a "K", and therefore ridiculously even harder to navigate.
    • KDE Neon has answered this with install a bare bones but quite completely functional OS and they chose the best apps not just "K" Apps. And great choices !

• Session Manager
    • Awesome - WORKS and puts most items back at startup and Most where they were,
    • Not so good - Not All Programs come back
    • Solution - but for regular used programs in this category, I just added them to KDE's "Autostart"
    • Issue - if in autostart and on at time of restart some programs Double:
    • ex.s) Cairo-Dock, NVidia Settings.
    • Solution don't have programs in autostart that do this, just keep them open at restart/shutdown.

• File Manager
    • GREAT - Dolphin is without a doubt the best fully functional and easy to use and multitask with, in my opinion.
    • Dolphin also has a refresh button which no other File manager has. It's great for tracking a large files transfer; that's what file managers are for - good common sense.
    • Gnomes default "Nautilus" has lost so much functionality, that I had to install Nemo which worked great as Dolphin (a favourite over my 8 years with Linux) was pathetic in Ubuntu-Gnome.

• Graphics Speed and Awesomeness - WOOHOO!
    • Now I realize FPS are not everything but it is at least intriguing.
    • Using glxgears for the tests. No heavy GPU Apps running.
    • Gnome OR KDE With Nouveaux Drivers 60 FPS (basically the refresh rate)
    • Ubuntu-Gnome using NVidia 370.28 .... 7-9,000 FPS
    • KDE Neon ....
    • with NVidia-361 (suggested) 12-13,000 FPS !
    • with NVidia-370.28 ..... over 15,000 FPS !, over 15,000 FPS!!!! compared to 9,000! don't get me wrong but AMAZINGLY COOL, and leaves me at the least optimistic.....
    • Now for a Game Benchmark Metro 2033 Redux,
    • Ubuntu-Gnome, which was NOT playing at all with the steam controller:
    • 720p, Medium Graphics, 20-40 FPS to stream functionally to the 55".
    • NOW .......................................
    • KDE Neon :
    • 1080P, High Graphics Settings , 60 FPS and the controller is now working! (was greyed out).
    • KDE 3D Gaming Rocks so far
    • Update:
    • So Boring News Arghhhh,
    • Both Systems Benchmarked almost exactly the same with Shadows of Mordor with its awesome Benchmark function
    • --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • KDE After Install
    • 1/ Update
    • 2/ Drivers
    • sudo apt install kubuntu-driver-manager or just use CLI
    • sudo ubuntu-drivers devices (show devices and driver options
    • Latest Nvidia Driver
    • sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
    • sudo apt-get install nvidia-361
    • or sudo apt install nvidia-370 (15.000 FPS using glxgears)
    • glxgears showing 13,000 FPS / compared to 8-9000 FPS Ubuntu-Gnome
    • sudo apt-get install intel-microcode
    • 3/ Other Software
    • sudo apt-get install muon synaptic (Discover was not working at all)
    • sudo apt-get install tomboy gconf-defaults-service libenchant-voikko monodoc-gtk2.0-manual libmono-i18n4.0-all libgamin0 evolution
    • sudo apt-get install steam glibc-doc:i386 locales:i386 xfonts-cyrillic
    • sudo update-apt-xapian-index
    • which builds / rebuilds the package search index
    • KDE Partition Manager
    • To Auto Mount Disks
    • "Removable Devices" works and quite a good GUI; replaces gnome-disk-utility
    • BTRFS file system not visible
    • sudo apt-get install btrfs-tools

• 4/ 1st Install List
    • sudo apt-get install audacious btrfs-tools cairo-dock deluge extlinux gdebi gparted gedit hardinfo hddtemp inxi iozone3 lm-sensors lsscsi mesa-utils ntfs-config playonlinux samba steam sysinfo ttf-mscorefonts-installer kubuntu-restricted-extras kubuntu-restricted-addons unetbootin unison-gtk unison winetricks
    • kde-runtime
    • sudo apt install upstart graphviz upstart-monitor
    • shotwell vs gwenview
    • nautilus-dropbox pavucontrol paman paprefs pavumeter

OK just a cut and past from Tomboy Noters - I hope trhis enlightrens and helps others

Originally posted by ack0329 View Post
    • So here I am writing from Ubuntu's KDE Neon beside Ubuntu-Gnome which allows for a good opportunity for comparison from both an experienced Linux User and from a relatively Newbies Perspective with KDE. This is written with the hopes of helping others with the decision to switch, helping both KDE and Gnome developers with future considered development decisions. Not to mention for FUN.

I'm afraid to tell you that Ubuntu has nothing to do with KDE Neon, bar providing the underlying system(Xenial). The KDE Neon project is entirely maintained by KDE people on KDE infrastructure. They provide a repository, which is installed on top of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. For more details of what KDE Neon is and is not, https://neon.kde.org/faq

Comment

I just wanted to help other Ubuntu Users choose KDE as it is so much slimmer and smartly efficient than my past KDE Bloated environment, and it is so much more intuitively designed to navigate systems / apps / customization.

Just sharing the good word.

Comment

And for others reading this ...
        KDE Neon is built entirely from Ubuntu 16.04 and can use all THE SAME ppas/ commands/ file managers/ driver managers/ app managers etc, so don't be dismayed.

And KDE Neon is much More Lean and Mean than Kubuntu from my understanding! WooHoo. ...
        The Best of KDE without the Worst (no bloat or confusing Application Menu) to name just a few key reasons.

Happy Gaming on Linux, Mark

Comment

You could try Maui from the Netrunner people. I think it is Neon with more bells and whistles.

Comment

Originally posted by bvpainter View Post
            You could try Maui from the Netrunner people. I think it is Neon with more bells and whistles.
            Cheers and thanks.

Googling this led me to Wickipedia and a list of differences from KDE-Neon, which I will show here. At least the apps that were not already on my KDE-Neon:
            owncloud
            gimp
            krita
            kdenlive
            telepathy-indicator
            virtualbox

Happy Gaming on Linux, Mark
            edit: p.s. KDE- Neon presently has a NEWER Plasma Version, Qt Version, and Kernel than Netrunners last release. So for others, you should know KDE-Neon stays pretty current.
            ... AWESOME !
            Last edited by ack0329; Oct 29, 2016, 09:24 AM. Reason: compare to netrunner

Comment

p.s. KDE- Neon presently has a NEWER Plasma Version, Qt Version, and Kernel than Netrunners last release. So for others, you should know KDE-Neon stays pretty current.
              ... AWESOME !
              Experience indicates wait a week, or less, and Maui will be updated to the newer Plasma version. Neon is very bleeding edge, while Maui prefers to keep systems one step back from the edge. Fewer cuts result, and production systems stay running properly.
              Lenovo T460s

Comment

Installing Neon on top of Kubuntu without reinstall

I noticed a thread in the KDE Forum about this topic. It was so good I decided to link to it here, and to copy it here as a backup.
                https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=135278

Code:
                 Installing Neon on top of Kubuntu without reinstall
                Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:58 pm
                Neon project website recommends to do a clean install. While I understand that this makes some sense, especially for inexperienced users, many of us are already running Kubuntu + backports PPA and reinstalling everything from scratch needs significant effort to copy all your settings/data properly.

So I have decided to install Neon on top of my Kubuntu-16.04 (+ backports PPA + libreoffice PPA). I am a professional software engineer dealing with Linux daily, so I was not afraid of possible problems. The update went quite well, so I decided to share my experience in case if somebody else would like to do the same.

# apt-add-repository http://archive.neon.kde.org/user
                # apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys E6D4736255751E5D
                # apt update
                # apt dist-upgrade

after that you will see some minor errors - conflicting files in old and new packages, e.g.

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/kdeconnect_0.9g-1+16.04+build14_amd64.deb (--unpack):
                trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeconnectinterfaces.so.0.9.0', which is also in package kdeconnect-plasma 0.9+p16.04+git20160702.0005-0

Unpacking libkf5screen7 (4:5.7.3-0neon+16.04+build13) over (4:5.6.5-0ubuntu1~ubuntu16.04~ppa1) ...
                dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libkf5screen7_4%3a5.7.3-0neon+16.04+build13_amd64.deb (--unpack):
                trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/kscreen_backend_launcher', which is also in package libkf5screen-bin 4:5.6.5-0ubuntu1~ubuntu16.04~ppa1

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/kpmcore_2.2.0-0+16.04+build2_amd64.deb

(--unpack):
                trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/libpmdummybackendplugin.so', which is also in package partitionmanager 1.2.1-0ubuntu1

Errors were encountered while processing:
                /var/cache/apt/archives/kdeconnect_0.9g-1+16.04+build14_amd64.deb
                /var/cache/apt/archives/libkf5screen7_4%3a5.7.3-0neon+16.04+build13_amd64.deb
                /var/cache/apt/archives/kpmcore_2.2.0-0+16.04+build2_amd64.deb
                E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

At this moment you can either use 'dpkg -i --force-all' on new packages or remove the conflicting old package (and later reinstall it). For example:

# apt remove kdeconnect-plasma libkf5screen-bin partitionmanager

and after that

# apt install partitionmanagers packages

and just in case to pick up any unprocessed packages

# apt update; apt upgrade; apt clean

Then rebooting - and everything works fine!

I would like to thank Neon team for their outstanding effort - Kubuntu-backports PPA was getting very old and I was tired of waiting forever.

A minor issue: I wanted to installl Libreoffice-5.2 but it seems that there is a problem

# apt-add-repository ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-5-2
                Traceback (most recent call last):
                File "/usr/bin/apt-add-repository", line 95, in <module>
                sp = SoftwareProperties(options=options)
                File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 109, in __init__
                self.reload_sourceslist()
                File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 599, in reload_sourceslist
                self.distro.get_sources(self.sourceslist)
                File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/aptsources/distro.py", line 89, in get_sources
                (self.id, self.codename))
                aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template for neon/xenial

This is not a big deal - I have added the needed file to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ manually, but as Libreoffice PPA is quite popular, this needs to be fixed.

Alex

User avatar Menak Vishap
                Registered Member

Re: Installing Neon on top of Kubuntu without reinstall
                Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:05 pm

alexsid wrote:
                    A minor issue: I wanted to installl Libreoffice-5.2 but it seems that there is a problem

# apt-add-repository ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-5-2
                    Traceback (most recent call last):
                    File "/usr/bin/apt-add-repository", line 95, in <module>
                    sp = SoftwareProperties(options=options)
                    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 109, in __init__
                    self.reload_sourceslist()
                    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 599, in reload_sourceslist
                    self.distro.get_sources(self.sourceslist)
                    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/aptsources/distro.py", line 89, in get_sources
                    (self.id, self.codename))
                    aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template for neon/xenial

This is not a big deal - I have added the needed file to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ manually, but as Libreoffice PPA is quite popular, this needs to be fixed.

I suspect that this problem could be solved by editing file '/etc/lsb-release'. Just replace in it 'DISTRIB_ID=neon' to 'DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu'. At least, the problem with non-working 'software-properties-kde' was solved in such way.

User avatar apachelogger
                KDE Developer

OS

Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:51 pm
                nah, what you need to do is make sure neon-desktop is installed, otherwise the system is just not properly aligned to the name

Annoyed with bbcode since 1999.

User avatar Menak Vishap
                Registered Member

Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:48 pm
                The 'neon-desktop' is big metapackage which has in its dependencies a bunch of *-dev packages, and some strange unnecessary things like Plasma theme for GRUB. It seems that all important config files are located in 'neon-settings' package, which is one of its dependencies.

Right now I ran 'apt-get install neon-settings' and after that the 'software-properties-kde' began to work with correct 'etc/lsb-release' version. Anyway, a lot of thanks to apachelogger for this important information!

sasha
                Registered Member

Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:28 pm
                Thank you for the report Alex.
                I am considering switching to Neon myself due to Plasma 5.7 updates which might take a while to get to Kubuntu.

Did you have kubuntu-backports repo enabled before you added Neon repo and did you disable it or apt-purged it, before starting the upgrade?

alexsid
                Registered Member

Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:06 pm

sasha wrote:
                    Thank you for the report Alex.
                    I am considering switching to Neon myself due to Plasma 5.7 updates which might take a while to get to Kubuntu.

Did you have kubuntu-backports repo enabled before you added Neon repo and did you disable it or apt-purged it, before starting the upgrade?

Hi Sasha,

1. yes, I had kubuntu-backports repo enabled, then added Neon repo and proceeded with upgrade
                2. After upgrade to Neon has been completed, I have disabled kubuntu-backports

Hope this helps,
                Alex

alikazmi
                Registered Member

Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:55 pm
                Thank you :) this worked for me. I am now proudly running KDE Plasma 5.8 on Kubuntu 16.04.

The only problem I had was with multiple monitors (post installation the monitors were mirrored instead of extended and the 'Displays' option was missing from System Settings > Display and Monitor). If anyone else runs into this problem, I solved it by installing 'kscreen'.

sudo apt install kscreen
                EDIT: It is amazing to me that KDE developers are taking time out of their busy schedules to visit these forums and offer advice. It is certainly above and beyond the call. It also suggests that a well documented problem posted to these sites is as good as a bugzilla report that has passed through triage (help from members of these forums). Heartfelt thanks, folks!
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 29, 2016, 02:01 PM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  EDIT: It is amazing to me that KDE developers are taking time out of their busy schedules to visit these forums and offer advice. It is certainly above and beyond the call. It also suggests that a well documented problem posted to these sites is as good as a bugzilla report that has passed through triage (help from members of these forums). Heartfelt thanks, folks!
                  Agreed. Many, many thanks.
                  Lenovo T460s

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
                    [/LIST]

I'm afraid to tell you that Ubuntu has nothing to do with KDE Neon, bar providing the underlying system(Xenial). The KDE Neon project is entirely maintained by KDE people on KDE infrastructure. They provide a repository, which is installed on top of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. For more details of what KDE Neon is and is not, https://neon.kde.org/faq
                    So what's your point? The OP didn't claim it is.

Comment

First my Comparison to Gnome
                      __________________________________________________ _____________
                      KDE vs Gnome

KDE Neon,

[LIST][*]Preface[*]First underst...[snip]
                      Try this: Install KDE-Connect on your Android device.

Ensure bot your phone and your computer is on the same Wifi network and "pair" them using the KDE-connect that is included with KDE Neon.

Next select a piece of text, maybe a text message you received, or a URL in your browser on the phone.

Then COPY to clipboard.

Go to your computer and open a test editor.

PASTE.

Now go to Dolpin.

Look at the down to the bottom left under devices. Ensure your phone is not "locked" and click on the phone to browse it's files. Drag-and-drop-sugar

When you receive messages on your phone, a desktop notification shows up on your computer as long as they can see one another.

More things to discover in there.

Comment

• Bad
                        • BTRFS not recognized during install or after
                        Don't know why you would think this. My KDEneon User Edition install is running (as well as many other installs) on my btrfs multi-disk filesystem. I installed it there at it's first release. Here's a screen shot of a Vbox install offering btrfs as a disk format. So KDEneon does recognize btrfs both before and after install.
                        Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Tahaan View Post
                          So what's your point? The OP didn't claim it is.
                          Apologies, the OP said "So here I am writing from Ubuntu's KDE Neon" which I misunderstood to mean that he believed KDE Neon was a Ubuntu project. I was merely pointing out the it is not.

Comment

Also of note from the OP: glxgears isn't a good graphics benchmark. You get 60fps because vsync is on. Either use gtkperf or run glxgears this way:

__GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 glxgears

This turns off vsync temporarily.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi Ack0329

Thanks for the very nice listing.

KDE Neon is stated on it's page to NOT be a distro that it is a "bunch of packages", most bleeding edge.

I don't think that Riddel even wants it to be a "distro' I think that quite possibly it is his way of poking a finger in the eye of some people at Canonical.

What I, personally, and it is ONLY.........my PERSONAl..observation , think is going to happen is that there are going to be some really enterprising people who make new and beautiful distros FROM neon and somehow promote them in a way that increases KDE "market share" versus Unity/Canonical.

Your listing of the stuff certainly makes available for the person who might so do a "frame" of thought about it....

Thanks again

woodsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X