Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Widget tools not switching sides? - Always on the right regardless of position.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Widget tools not switching sides? - Always on the right regardless of position.

I don't recall this behavior earlier: On my system, widget toolbars always appear on the right side of the widget. In the past, my recollection was if a widget was placed close to the right side of the screen, the tools appeared on the left side of the widget.

Can anyone confirm or deny this behavior?

Please Read Me

For you, is this in a single or multi-screen setup?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I just reinstalled Xenial. When I add a widget to the panel it ALWAYS appears to the left of the time widget, and everything to the left slides over one widget withd.. I then move it to where I want it and everything to the right of it slides back to the right one widget width.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I believe Oshunluvr is referring to widgets placed on the Desktop, not the Panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          I believe Oshunluvr is referring to widgets placed on the Desktop, not the Panel.
          Opps! My bad!

On my fresh install the widget config bar is always on the right side and when I drag it to the right edge of the screen it stays on the right side, which is different from what it used to do. IIRC, the config bar appeared on the edge closest to where you grabbed the widget with the mouse. But, at 75, false memories is a constant problem.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 09, 2016, 04:45 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            Can anyone confirm or deny this behavior?
            It does appear that this 'new' behavior is hard coded.

Comment

Yes, desktop widgets and yes multiscreen - x3. I preferred the old functionality if you're right Paul.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've seen that behavior. It is annoying.

Comment

It actually doesn't interfere with widget placement "on the right edge", as the widgets are moved left just enough for the configuration pop-out. So, unless one wants widgets right edge to be aligned right on the edge of the right side of the display, this shouldn't be an issue. It becomes merely one of aesthetics.

Comment

I saw this a long time ago, at least in Plasma time (so maybe 4 to 6 months ago lol)
                    It was probably mentioned on kde's forum and I don't see a bug report complaining about it

I don't find it too annoying, personally.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160909_210250.png
Views:	1
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	643305
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160909_210226.png
Views:	1
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	643306

This widget is right up against the right side of my screen
                    The annoyance would be trying to resize the thing wider without moving it away from the edge first.

Comment

Exactly. I'm just whining I guess.

Actually, I hadn't noticed the icons fold inward, over the widget, when you're against the right edge. Just a change in the developers idea of how it should work.

It appears I was actually seeing a widget (clock) that won't go all the way to the right edge. I assumed it was because of the toolbar. Further messing about reveals it's the clock widget itself that has a wider horizontal boundary than other widgets I use. I do like that you can't accidentally drop a widget off-screen.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        It appears I was actually seeing a widget (clock) that won't go all the way to the right edge.
                        That's funny, as it was the Clock widget I tried out after your first post. I don't think I tried out any others.

Comment

Working...
                        X