This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A stop Job is running for session 1 of user jerry

And thus my system waits for 1 minute and 30 seconds while three red stars cycle back and forth like the eye of a Cylon robot from BattleStar Gallacitica.

That msg appears almost every time I shut down. My system has become equally slow during boot up. When apps are summoned on the desktop instead of snapping into view almost instantly the busy wheel cycles for 5 to 15 seconds before the app appears. Even then, say when calling Dolphin for example, it is another 15 or more seconds after Dolphin appears before its controls respond to mouse clicks.

When DDGoing for an answer I found this bugzilla report, posted April 16, 2014 but many said they were having the problem since the beginning of that year. Systemd-208 was the version. (My systemd is 229). Various people identified various culprits: systemd-login.service, session-1.scope, or sssd. In that last regard a user posted:
    I added the the following to sssd.service,
    Before=systemd-user-sessions.service
    So far this has worked, but I've only restarted a couple of times, so not conclusive
    Just for clarification, for those of us who might not be checked out on systemd, the file that needs to be modified is most likely:
    /usr/lib/systemd/system/sssd.service
    and you put the "Before" line in the [Unit] section. You then must run:
    systemctl daemon-reload
    or it won't take before you reboot.
    But many reported that they don't use sssd. Four months after the initial post tempers were flaring because none of the "fixes" proposed worked. However, two days before the OP posted his bugzilla report Linus Torvolds made a comment about what he saw as systemd's problems:
    On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:
    >
    > The response is:
    >
    > "Generic terms are generic, not the first user owns them."

And by "their" you mean Kay Sievers.

Key, I'm f*cking tired of the fact that you don't fix problems in the
    code *you* write, so that the kernel then has to work around the
    problems you cause.

Greg - just for your information, I will *not* be merging any code
    from Kay into the kernel until this constant pattern is fixed.

This has been going on for *years*, and doesn't seem to be getting any
    better. This is relevant to you because I have seen you talk about the
    kdbus patches, and this is a heads-up that you need to keep them
    separate from other work. Let distributions merge it as they need to
    and maybe we can merge it once it has been proven to be stable by
    whatever distro that was willing to play games with the developers.

But I'm not willing to merge something where the maintainer is known
    to not care about bugs and regressions and then forces people in other
    projects to fix their project.
    Because I am *not* willing to take
    patches from people who don't clean up after their problems, and don't
    admit that it's their problem to fix.

Kay - one more time: you caused the problem, you need to fix it. None
    of this "I can do whatever I want, others have to clean up after me"
    crap.

Linus
    The response from the systemd team has been to call all the reported problems "myths".

Myth: systemd is a feature creep.

Well, systemd certainly covers more ground that it used to. It's not just an init system anymore, but the basic userspace building block to build an OS from, but we carefully make sure to keep most of the features optional. You can turn a lot off at compile time, and even more at runtime. Thus you can choose freely how much feature creeping you want.

Myth: systemd is unstable and buggy.
    Certainly not according to our data. We have been monitoring the Fedora bug tracker (and some others) closely for a long long time. The number of bugs is very low for such a central component of the OS, especially if you discount the numerous RFE bugs we track for the project. We are pretty good in keeping systemd out of the list of blocker bugs of the distribution. We have a relatively fast development cycle with mostly incremental changes to keep quality and stability high.

So, you can see the predicament that Kay Sievers and his crew put the Neon dev crew in, trying to workaround systemd "features".

It should be added that my own experience is that I never had a system shutdown hang like this before systemd came along.

As far as feature creep one has only to look at the systemd change logs and follow the version back in time to see how systemd is taking over (spreading like a fungus, as some claim?) activities long held by independent utilities. In deference to a bug the systemd developers deny exists is this new feature, which was added to systemd-230 (line 274) :
    systemd will now log about all service processes it kills forcibly
    (using SIGKILL) because they remained after the clean shutdown phase
    of the service completed. This should help identifying services that
    shut down uncleanly. Moreover if KillUserProcesses= is enabled in
    systemd-logind's configuration a similar log message is generated for
    processes killed at the end of each session due to this setting.
    So, you can eliminate the 1m30s wait during shutdown, which is now a feature and not a bug, if you set KillUserProcesses=1 (yes)? What if you just want to log out? BTW, to avoid the 1m30s delay many report that the now logout first, then shutdown from the login screen. Anyway, I checked my logind.conf settings and they are:
    # /etc/systemd/logind.conf
    # Generated by kcmsystemd control module v1.2.1.
    [Login]
    #NAutoVTs=
    #ReserveVT=
    KillUserProcesses=yes
    KillOnlyUsers=jerry
    #KillExcludeUsers=
    #InhibitDelayMaxSec=
    #HandlePowerKey=
    #HandleSuspendKey=
    #HandleHibernateKey=
    HandleLidSwitch=poweroff
    #HandleLidSwitchDocked=
    #PowerKeyIgnoreInhibited=
    #SuspendKeyIgnoreInhibited=
    #HibernateKeyIgnoreInhibited=
    #LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=
    #HoldoffTimeoutSec=
    #IdleAction=
    #IdleActionSec=
    #RuntimeDirectorySize=
    #RemoveIPC=
    BUT, even with that setting I still hang with that 1m30s message! That's probably because my systemd is 229, not 230. It is also obvious that "fix" for this bug, introduced by systemd, is a "work around", not a cure. The bug, which didn't exist before systemd was adopted, is in systemd and is just covered up. One of many perfect holes for a black hat, NSA or a foreign cyber hacking team.

As you read down in the logs you'll notice phrases such as "now supports" or "extended to include", etc...

Our own Snowhog posted in a bug report about this problem two months ago. He posted an image of his problem:
    https://bugs.kde.org/attachment.cgi?id=99454

My suspicions are that the delays on gui appears appearing on my desktop and achieving functionality is also related to systemd problems.

Systemd is _PID1 of the boot process. The way systemd is creeping into all aspects of a Linux installation (rfkill, DNS, Bridging, IP, security, etc...), it appears that in the future there will be only three components, the kernel, systemd and the desktop.

Here is a DistroWatch poll on systemd: http://distrowatch.com/polls.php?poll=8
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 09, 2016, 01:09 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Yes, annoying as all get out. But, as you pointed out from my posting(s), IF you do a Logout first, and once back at the Login Greeter screen, select Shutdown (or Reboot if that was your intent), then the 1 minute 30 second delay is avoided. It's what I do now.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014...ainst-systemd/

Should we be concerned that a kernel developer, obviously a very qualified computer user (an MIT graduate in his 40s), has trouble understanding and using policykit and systemd to configure his own system? Where does that leave the average Linux user in handling these atrociously complex and built-to-be-broken technologies? His discussion is not a tirade against systemd, but he too warns of the complexity of the system and its XML (even javascript-based?) configuration files, and also of the very poor track record developers like Red Hat’s Lennart Poettering have:
      …Kay Sievers and Lennart Poettering often have the same response style to criticisms as the GNOME developers [read other Red Hat developers] — go away, you’re clueless, we know better than you, and besides, we have commit privs and you don’t, so go away.
      Predictably, fanboys rush to systemd’s defense in the comments, telling us how wonderfully documented and supported it is, what a quiet, fascist paradise the systemd mailing list is, and how responsive the developers are to every bug, request and patch submission.

Yet just two days ago, we see Linus Torvalds (the creator of Linux and maintainer of the Linux kernel), launching into a tirade against – yes, you guessed it – systemd developers because of their atrocious response to a bug in systemd that is crashing the kernel and preventing it from being debugged. Linus is so upset with systemd developer Kay Sievers (gee, where I have heard that name before – oh, that’s right, he’s the moron who refused to fix udev problems) that Linus is threatening to refuse any further contributions from this Red Hat developer, not just because of this bug, but because of a pattern of this behavior – a problem for Kay because Red Hat is also foaming at the mouth to have their kernel-based, no doubt bug- and security-flaw-ridden D-Bus implementation included in our kernels. Other developers were so peeved that they suggested simply triggering a kernel panic and halting the system when systemd is so much as detected in use.

What amazes me is that although I've been using Linux for 19 years and Kubuntu for 7 years, and remember when initd, SysV, SysVINIT and Upstart were introduced, I hadn't paid much attention to systemd until my Kubuntu 16.04/Neon began hanging at shutdown, and was not aware of all the "spirited" debate about systemd. The article quoted above goes a lot deeper into the conflict than just Linus's rant against Kay Sievers. Systemd is so buggy on my system that I'm wondering if what Julian Assange said is true.

I looked around for a distro that did not use systemd and found very few, a handful. The most prominent distro which is against systemd is my old favorite, PCLinuxOS. When I used it they were an RPM based distro. I prefer dpkg. Besides, there are bugs in every distro (and OS), and the NSA probably knows more about me than I know or remember about myself. So, I'm going nowhere, because there is really nowhere to go.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

The fallacies of systemd.

Comment

Switching Kubuntu 16.04 LTS back to Upstart

Switching Back to Upstart on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS has adopted systemd as its default system and service manager, i.e., the init manager. Although systemd offers many benefits, such as, aggressively starting services concurrently, you may sometimes want to switch back to upstart, the older system and service manager for Ubuntu because some services that you still have to run depend on it. Below are the steps to switch to back upstart,

1. Install upstart-sysv and remove systemd-sysv.

sudo apt-get install upstart-sysv
          2. Update Ubuntu to reflect the change that you just made.

sudo update-initramfs -u
          3. Now you need to remove a few remaining systemd package in the system. This step removes package including libpam-systemd.
            sudo dpkg -P --simulate --ignore-depends=systemd systemd
            Remove --simulate when you want it to work. Remove the other systemd packages the same way. Using
            sudo apt-get purge systemd
            will remove most of the plasma neon desktop and KDE.
          4. If you do not perform this step, you will see an error message as follows after you reboot the system and log back in.

[ 26.664057] systemd-logind[4445]: Failed to start user service, ignoring: Unknown unit: user@1000.service
          5. Now reboot and log back in. You should see your system with a clean bill of health with upstartd back at the helm.

Posted by Gray Chan at 8:53 AM

The problem is that attempting to remove systemd fails because it is active. I have upstart-sysv installed but I haven't figured out a way to switch to it without rebooting.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 08, 2016, 04:59 PM.

Comment

I have installed upstart-sysv and and did the initrmfs -u thing. Now I am going to reboot and see if that alternate boot option using upstart exists. If it does then I'll try it. If not there is a reinstall in my future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There was no alternative upstart boot option so I edited the kernel command line to be "unit=/sbin/init and hit F10. It booted to a console login screen. I logged in and used startx to start Plasma. My desktop came up as usual. Ps showed that PID1 was init. It also showed that systemd-logind was running. I used kill -9 1860 to kill it and my desktop disappeared and at a console command prompt neither my mouse nor my keyboard worked.

So, while it was possible to switch between upstart and systemd in 15.10, it is NOT possible by any means I've explored to switch to upstart in 16.04.

The question now is "what do I install if I don't like systemd? The pickings are getting slim. Slackware? PCLinuxOS? Puppy? Or, just ride with the flow and use 16.04.
              Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 09, 2016, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Kububtu 16.04 won

At 75 this old dog is going to learn some new tricks! After all, they say systemd is easy to learn. I hope so.
                Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 09, 2016, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Well, I've got Kubuntu 16.04 up and running. In times past my HP P1606dn duplex laser automatically configured itself when I turned it on and plugged it into a USB port. It usually took about 15 seconds. Add another minute or so to help hp-doctor to fetch the duplex plugin and install it. Using hp-doctor and the help of systemd it took only an hour to get the printer installed and configured to night. It seems I still need "dbus-run-session" prefixing most gui applications in the KMenu system or in a Konsole. I supposed more updates will fix that later on.

Comment

I decided to go into system settings and increase the size of my fonts to 11 or better. Now I no longer need to put "dbus-run-session" in front of the execution command for Dolphin and the other apps where fonts were a problem. My new install is LIGHTENING FAST!, just the way it waa when I first installed it. I am going to watch carefully as I add back what I had before to see if I can identify any apps or changes which might slow down the system. Oh, I haven't added Neon's repository yet, and probably won't for several months, if ever.

Comment

I don't have those issues Jerry. I wonder if it's because I did a clean install of KDEneon?

Please Read Me

Comment

I've had the shutdown error on my laptop in kubuntu and now neon for some time now. It may just be me or my recollections but it seems too only happen after an update requiring a reboot. This could be because that is about the only time I actually do a reboot

It is also why perhaps it hasn't bugged me very much.

I recently tried out a *buntu 16.04 respin or some such modified to add support for hardware on a few Bayrtrail Atom, 32-bit-efi convertible tablet/laptops and saw a grub boot option for upstart in there somewhere. I'll see if I can figure out what they did plus the specific boot menu configuration.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Comment

I decided to see if I could replace systemd with upstart and used the suggestions for doing so in Kubuntu 15.10, which had the capability. All one had to do was install upstart-sysv, which resulted in two systemd files being removed, but not systemd itself. The idea was to then reboot and choose the alternate boot option which included (Upstart) in the title. Sadly, Xenial had no such title in their alternate list, so I edited the init line to read "init=/usr/sbin/init". Since upstart itself was already installed (by default, I didn't install it) my system booted using upstart, but after the login the Plasma desktop wouldn't start and I was presented with a login command prompt. I logged in issued "startx", which started the plasma desktop. It ran as it normally did. Slow. In checking the list of processes I noticed that systemd-logind was running, and so was another. I issued a kill -9 on the logind PID and my desktop crashed to a black screen with NO keyboard or mouse activity. Rebooting failed, presenting the same scenario. I concluded that while it may be possible to switch back to Upstart in 15.10 it was NOT possible in 16.04. I then decided to look around and see if there was another distro that didn't use systemd. The two major distros that eschew systemd are Slackware nd PCLinuxOS. I seriously considered switching to PCLinuxOS and downloaded its ISO and burnt it to a USB stick using mkusb. I decided to boot it and play with it live to see how I liked it. If failed to boot! And, I didn't want to be on an RPM distro.

That's when I decided that this old dog is going to learn a few new systemd tricks. I reinstalled Xenial last night but I am not going to install Neon. So far, my desktop is almost instantaneously responsive. I can go from power off to a working desktop in 30 seconds, and it shuts down even faster. It's back to the way I remembered it before I put Neon on top. So, I am a happy camper again, except for one fly in the ointment -- before I reinstalled I used KMail's export facility to export my emails (147Mb worth) to a zip file, which is what KMail offered as a format. When I used the importwizard to import them it failed! I didn't have any problem importing an mbox file of the same size from Gmail. Who would of thought that KMail can't eat its own dog food!
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160909_124728.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	643304
                          I filed a bug report.

Comment

Working...
                          X