X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Neon talk at QtCon/Akademy

For those that are interested.

https://streaming.media.ccc.de/qtcon16/relive/385/
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Thanks, archeon! Very interesting!
    Germany and the USA lead in the number of Neon users.
    Frambebuffer pkgs are the only ones not signed yet, but Riddell is working on it.
    An interesting bit of information is the availability of Snappy packages, "if you know where to find them". Any hints?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      ..."if you know where to find them". Any hints?
      stuart@office:~$ instal snapd
      Code:
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree       
      Reading state information... Done
      The following additional packages will be installed:
        apparmor libapparmor-perl snap-confine squashfs-tools ubuntu-core-launcher
      Suggested packages:
        apparmor-profiles apparmor-profiles-extra apparmor-docs apparmor-utils
      The following NEW packages will be installed:
        apparmor libapparmor-perl snap-confine snapd squashfs-tools ubuntu-core-launcher
      0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      Need to get 6,725 kB of archives.
      After this operation, 34.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
      Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
      <snip>
      stuart@office:~$ sudo snap find all
      Code:
      Name                    Version                Developer           Notes  Summary
      scummvm                 1.9.0git               caldav              -      ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games
      prometheus-pushgateway  0.3.0                  jacek               -      Unofficial snap for the Prometheus Pushgateway
      sl-moon127              5.02                   moon127             -      SL
      wireless-tools          1                      canonical           -      Tools for manipulating Linux Wireless Extensions
      conn-check              1.3.2-2                1stvamp             -      Utility for verifying connectivity between services
      vitetris                0.57                   vitetris            -      Console based version of Tetris
      wifi-ap                 4                      canonical           -      WiFi Access Point based on hostapd
      atomify-lammps          2.0.2                  ovilab              -      Editor for the LAMMPS molecular dynamics simulator
      kicad-snap              4.0.4-snap1            eldar               -      Electronic schematic and PCB design software
      part-cython             0.24.1                 powersj             -      Optimising static compiler for Python and C
      zile-tealeg             2.4.11                 tealeg              -      GNU Zile
      stats                   0~20160805+git11b935e  tyhicks             -      Gathers numbers in repeated text
      kernelscan              0.0.1                  cking-kernel-tools  -      fast kernel source error message scanner
      fiemap                  0.0.1                  cking-kernel-tools  -      file extent dumping tool
      so-hello-world          0.2                    shadowen            -      the old classic
      xcape-lbo               7fca364                lbo                 -      Modify keys to act as other keys
      livetuner               0.1                    cyborgcentral       -      a GUI for livestreamer
      dstat-jamiebennett      0.7.3                  jamiebennett        -      Dstat is a versatile replacement for vmstat, iostat, mpstat, netstat and ifstat.
      explode-bricks          1.1                    1bsyl               -      very Simple Bricks game
      spider-solitaire        1.0                    1bsyl               -      Spider Solitaire card game
      mahjong-game            1.0                    1bsyl               -      Mahjong game, a one-player game. Based on SDL2
      upnp-server             0.1.0                  ogra                -      upload files with WebDAV and serve them via DLNA/UPnP
      snapstore-example       0.3                    noise               -      Minimalist example snap store
      filebot                 4.7.2                  pointplanck         -      The ultimate TV and Movie Renamer / Subtitle Downloader
      htop                    2.0.1                  maxiberta           -      Interactive processes viewer
      webdm                   0.17                   canonical           -      # Snappyd

Please Read Me

Comment

I also found this:

https://uappexplorer.com/apps?type=snappy

Please Read Me

Comment

An interesting bit of information is the availability of Snappy packages, "if you know where to find them". Any hints?
          I shall find out when people are back from Akademy and a bit more contactable.

They are not listed under the normal snaps in the store or snap command line.

There is:

https://github.com/snappy-packages

but they seem to predate the sprint mentioned in the talk.

There is also for snap development and released stuff, but not many kde apps there.

https://github.com/ubuntu/snappy-playpen
          Last edited by acheron; Sep 07, 2016, 12:53 PM.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Also closely related is

https://store.kde.org/

which the talk here mentions a lot on snap/containerisation for KDE apps, via the store or discover.

Comment

Nice vid. Store.kde.org should be a goto source!

The idea of a containerized app like a snap application is long over due. The idea of using apps that were dynamically compiled in order to make use of installed libraries is getting long in the tooth and were it not for repositories we'd have a nightmare trying to keep libraries or dependencies synced to a particular app version. When I was runnning KNOPPIX a decade or so ago I'd install an app (rpm) and it would require a more advanced version of KDE, which would result in 350 files being downloaded and installed. A week later I installed another app and it required the previous version of KDE and without warning downgraded to it. The downgrade borked my system and I began looking at other distros.

I have a 600GB HD and my total usage is only 58GB. I have the room so it would be great if every app came compiled as a static app with its own libraries, config and datafiles installed in the home account (and run inside a chroot ?) so that that all one has to do is delete the app is to delete the folder it resides in. Remember "Klyx"?
              I realize that this would be great for single user installations like mine, which probably far outnumber multi-user installations (which probably wouldn't work well with this concept. Anyway, it would be nice to see the repository become a snap app dispenser.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Snap/containerization. That's how PC-BSD (BSD) does it. Installable applications are 'complete' in and of themselves, bringing everything needed with them, and so are not dependent on something 'needed' being already installed somewhere else on the system.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's about time snap apps appeared.

Comment

It's about time snap apps appeared.
                    Couldn't agree more! And if someone is concerned about the modest additional storage requirements, maybe an 'Buntu-based system is not the ideal solution. There's Peppermint, Damn Small Linux, Puppy Linux and a zillion others for those use cases. I have a 4 year old drive that's over 1TB which I'll never fill up if I try. I mention this in advance because that's usually the 1st complaint people have about containerized apps...

IMHO they can't come to the KDE Store fast enough.
                    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                    K*Digest Blog
                    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Yeah, I was gonna say until I continued reading your post - drive space is hardly an issue anymore. Besides, any computer that has room for MS WinBloat has enough room for 8-10 linux installs - snaps included.

Please Read Me

Comment

So what about the "duplicated dependencies" thing:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/78714...d-dependencies

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme..._bad_the_ugly/

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/universa...stros/4124/105

woodjustwonderin'smoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Duplicated dependencies becomes a non-issue with snap packaging, as installation of such packages will be 'self contained' and not be in conflict with any other installed package(s). IF it were possible to prevent using external repositories or to prevent installation of 'tar ball' packages in *buntu, then moving to snap packaging wouldn't necessarily be needed. Think of an 'older, but still functioning' application you have that you consider indispensable, but relies on a library file version that other applications use, and those other applications get updated and have been written to use a newer such library. One of two things happens. Either the 'indispensable' program becomes unusable because the library gets changed [re:updated], or the other applications won't update do to the conflict. Snap packaging avoids this entirely.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Snowhog
                            thanks for the very nice reply.

However, to flog this beast to death.

The "general idea" was that, maybe two word processors, each with certain dependencies, would be in their unique SNAP package and that the dependencies of one were "mostly" the same as for the other.

Thus, for those with restricted hard drive space, the two packages would add up to "two sets" of dependencies while being as "previously done" packages, they would "share" the stuff that both needed.

Like I said, just to beat this to death because there are a lot of "commentators in various message threads" that have their panties in a wad over having "bloat" on their system.

So I would assume that there is, or will be, some way to work this out that I, because I'm just a hard ware kinda guy, have not been able to perceive.

woodsmoke
                            Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 12, 2016, 06:03 PM.
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Sharing is caring, with Snaps!

http://mhall119.com/2016/09/sharing-...ng-with-snaps/

Comment

Working...
                              X