This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PC, new experiment using Neon to host a Win10 VM

So, a couple months ago, I built a new system after my old system died, with a Core i5 6600k and a Geforce GTX 1070. Been running Windows 10 since I've been PC gaming a lot lately, but I miss KDE, so I got the idea of putting my old GTX 670 back in, letting Neon use that, and using GPU passthrough to give a Win10 VM the 1070, using the VM solely for gaming while I do other tasks, like web browsing and office work on Linux. So, I have a few questions;

1. What would be the best VM software to use for this? I want free, and as easy-to-use as is reasonable while also doing what I need (namely, GPU passthrough, giving the VM three of my i5's cores, and assigning the VM 24GB of my 32GB of RAM)
    2. What kind of system prep within Neon will I have to do to get GPU passthrough working?
    3. How much overhead will the VM have? (how much performance can I expect to lose in games?)

I know that I could simply do a dual-boot config, but this is more for learning, and for the convenience of simply running a VM after Linux boots rather than having to reboot every time I want to game.

Give this a look through, especially part 4.
    http://vfio.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/v...-hardware.html

I found those links in this discussion from two weeks ago. It solved that guy's passthrough problems.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Give this a look through, especially part 4.
      http://vfio.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/v...-hardware.html

I found those links in this discussion from two weeks ago. It solved that guy's passthrough problems.
      Thanks! Once I get Neon set up, I'll give it a good read through.

Comment

An update on my progress; my motherboard refuses to use anything that's in the second PCI-E slot as the main card, so gonna have to put the GTX 670 into the first slot which runs at x16, and the GTX 1070 into the second, which runs at x4. Hopefully the 1070 doesn't mind too much about running in x4 mode. The slots are gen 3, at least. Second, for some reason, the latest Neon user-edition ISO doesn't want to get past the login part to actually take me to the desktop, which means I can't install it. Thought about removing a video card to see if that was the problem, but decided I'll just use plain Kubuntu 16.04.1 instead and enable backports.

Comment

So by this you mean you aren't able to use the GTX670 with linux if it's in the second slot?

What about installing and then re-configuring the video. If your mobo will support two cards you should be able to configure linux to use either card.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X