This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] NVidia driver Install

OK, so far so good on the install of Neon on my system. I'm pleased so far. However, what is the best way to install the NVidia driver? I used Kubuntu's driver manager before but I guess not a good idea to install that on KDE Neon. Thanks in advance!

if you know which driver you need, just install the appropriate package

there is nothing wrong with using the driver manager in Neon, if it (the gui) works for you . If not, the command line for it works fine.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

OK, been a long time since I've done manual installs but after some searching I was able to. I first ran in Konsole
        Code:
        sudo ubuntu-drivers devices
        . Then after agreeing with what I saw there I ran
        Code:
        sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
        After that, All seemed well. Initially I did it myself and choose the wrong driver which had me stuck at 1024x768 but after an uninstall and searching the above worked wonderfully.

So, now I can say I'm on KDE Neon. Seems smooth. I'll give it a week to see how it goes.

EDIT: Fixed above code lines
        Last edited by MoonRise; Aug 01, 2016, 05:18 PM.

Comment

OK, so after about 2 weeks on Neon with crashes with KWIN I've always felt it was the NVidia driver. I had to replace NEON with MAUI tracking another issue. So, I ran Maui a while with the generic NVidia driver and all worked rather well. No corruption of Windows Decoration and no KWIN crashes. Well, due to issues on Minecraft not starting I installed NVidia's driver (one that stated recommended). It was a feeling it was due to the graphics driver as to why I went that route. Minecraft now happy. So, after that install, KWIN crashes are back as well as the Windows Decoration corruption. I'm convinced its the driver but why I really don't know. Will look further as I can.

Comment

I have trouble of various sorts since upgrading to 16.04 and/or Neon with all the nvidia drivers later than 340.

I keep hoping an update will solve it, but no luck so far.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've been wondering if I should go to 304 and see what's what there. My card is an older card and I'm afraid these newer drivers are just not compatible.

Comment

Working...
              X