X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE Wicd Client

Originally posted by Snowhog
    Not sure, but using Konqueror, I too can check the box to subscribe and click Save.

I believe that your request is actually saved, even though no visible 'confirmation' to that effect is provided. Remember, that the site already knows your email address, as you have to provide that when you registered for an account.
    Then the question becomes... if you subscribe, and it remembers it without leaving confirmation, how do you unsubscribe later if you change your mind and don't want to follow the app anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten
      Then the question becomes... if you subscribe, and it remembers it without leaving confirmation, how do you unsubscribe later if you change your mind and don't want to follow the app anymore?
      My guess would be, just like most subscribed 'services' - when you get a notification, included in it is a link to 'un-subscribe.'
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So annoying. That doesn't behave right at all.

Comment

I looked in their forum for posts about people having problems not being able to subscribe, but found postings from people who could not unsubscribe!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            I looked in their forum for posts about people having problems not being able to subscribe, but found postings from people who could not unsubscribe!
            Well, I suppose that indirectly is the good news that I am indeed subscribed to updates of this app, but it does concern me that there are issues unsubscribing from notifications. I will be very careful about what I subscribe to in that case. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Thanks! (I had installed kdelibs4-dev)
              kdelibs4-dev is for KDE3 (yes, the numbering is somewhat confusing)...I forgot to mention that in my earlier post.

A new version was released yesterday. I just installed this morning, and once I worked out all the dependency issues, it seems to work so much better than the gnome interface. <3
              Yes, the 0.2 release brings some deeper KDE integration (systemsettings module and support for plasma tray icon theming)...this is shaping up nicely

Comment

Well, I suppose that indirectly is the good news that I am indeed subscribed to updates of this app, but it does concern me that there are issues unsubscribing from notifications. I will be very careful about what I subscribe to in that case. Thanks for the update.
                I just subscribed to an app to check the problem, and now I can find a way to unsubscribe. I guess I should have read the whole thread first.

Comment

The only thing that's irritating me about it at the moment, and I doubt it's a problem with the KDE app for WICD, but I don't know how to make the old gnome based interface to stop auto-starting when I boot up. So now when I log into my account, it loads both the KDE and the gnome applets. I usually just exit out of the gnome one, once everything finishes loading, but it's annoying to have to do. If this was on my desktop computer, I wouldn't worry about it much, I usually leave it on all the time, only rebooting for kernel updates and power failures.

I suspect there's something right under my nose I'm missing.

Comment

The .desktop file that starts the wicd-gtk client is /etc/xdg/autostart/wicd-tray.desktop

you can delete (or backup) the file if you don't want it to start automatically, but wish to keep the gtk-client as a fallback (otherwise you can just purge the wicd-gtk package).

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                      The .desktop file that starts the wicd-gtk client is /etc/xdg/autostart/wicd-tray.desktop

you can delete (or backup) the file if you don't want it to start automatically, but wish to keep the gtk-client as a fallback (otherwise you can just purge the wicd-gtk package).
                      Thank you much! I probably would not have found it there on my own. Just renamed the file so there was an .old at the end. Everything's shiny now. <3

Comment

Someone has made alternate tray icons for wicd if anyone is interested. http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=125921

Comment

The Kde client for wicd (0.2.1) is now available in Natty repos, package 'wicd-kde'

Comment

Working...
                          X