This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Wicd Client

Someone finally wrote a Wicd client for KDE (c++)
    http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=132366

Initial release, but seems to be working (at least so far).

Re: KDE Wicd Client

One of the comments had an interesting list of needed improvements.
    1.- It would be nicer to change main window title from "Wicd Client KDE" to "Wicd Client for KDE".

2.- I miss the ability to show the currently-connected network strength signal in the tray icon.

3.- Unlike the position, the main window does not remember its dimensions when resized.

4.- When selecting a network, the "Disconnect" button should change to "Connect" when not connected to such network and the other way around when connected.
    #2 is a biggie,
    #3 would be annoying.
    #4 also annoying, if not confusing.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      One of the comments had an interesting list of needed improvements.
      1.- It would be nicer to change main window title from "Wicd Client KDE" to "Wicd Client for KDE".

2.- I miss the ability to show the currently-connected network strength signal in the tray icon.

3.- Unlike the position, the main window does not remember its dimensions when resized.

4.- When selecting a network, the "Disconnect" button should change to "Connect" when not connected to such network and the other way around when connected.
      #2 is a biggie,
      #3 would be annoying.
      #4 also annoying, if not confusing.
      #2: It shows network strength just the same as the gtk-client (with a different icon, using system icons for network signal strength 00/25/50/75/100%...tooltip has numerical value)

#3: This is on the TODO list

#4: This is one for the usability people.
      Should the button to to connect/disconnect have the icon of the action (connect/disconnect) or the icon of the status (connected/disconnected)?
      EDIT: Ah, he probably means the disconnect button on the toolbar (I'm pretty sure this is meant to be a "universal" disconnect rather than a connect/disconnect toggle), there are connect/disconnect togglebuttons for each network on the network list

Comment

Where did you get "KLocalizedString"?
        http://www.vickypark.com/doc/HTML/en...string_8h.html

It's not on my system, running the repository's QtCreator.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Where did you get "KLocalizedString"?
          http://www.vickypark.com/doc/HTML/en...string_8h.html

It's not on my system, running the repository's QtCreator.
          package "kdelibs5-dev" (/usr/include/klocalizedstring.h)

Comment

Thanks! (I had installed kdelibs4-dev)

It seems to have all the basic connection facilities, including hidden networks. Attached is a graph comparing the kde dialog with the gtk version. I found the icons to be too small. It was difficult to determine what I was connected to. To me, a box WITHOUT a green check mark would mean it was disconnected, and with a green check mark would mean it was connected.

At first, my GreyGeek connection showed only 50% strength in the green horizontal bar, but the status line showed 100%. But, after a few seconds, the bar went to 100%.

I agree. It looks good enough to use as it currently is.
            Attached Files

Comment

It was difficult to determine what I was connected to. To me, a box WITHOUT a green check mark would mean it was disconnected, and with a green check mark would mean it was connected.
              The gtk client uses the same icon scheme for the buttons, but in the gtk client the buttons also have the text for the action (which probably helps avoid confusion)

It looks good enough to use as it currently is.
              Agreed, it's remarkably good for a "0.1 release". There are a few annoyances, but I already switched to it and removed the gtk-client. (The kde version is also faster and lighter...on my machine the network list is populated almost instantly when opening the client window, on the python-gtk client this used to take several seconds)

Comment

A new version was released yesterday. I just installed this morning, and once I worked out all the dependency issues, it seems to work so much better than the gnome interface. <3

This makes me most pleased. When I get my network issues resolved, I'll get this installed on my desktop also.

Comment

Works for me, too.

I've switched from the old wicd to this new one.

Comment

Now, if only the stupid KDE-apps.org site will let me subscribe to the app and get notification on when it updates, so I can keep my install current.

Comment

I just registered with no trouble. What is holding your registration back?

Comment

I'm registered on the site, but for whatever reason, when I go to the page to subscribe to the app, I'll tick the little box next to the content subscription option and hit the save button. Only to have the page reload and the box be unticked again.

I am tempted to try it under Firefox, but I've been using Chromium for a couple months now because Firefox has gotten so slow lately. However, I've also been having a trouble with the wishlist function on ThinkGeek.com in Chromium too, where it works under Firefox.

Comment

Ah, I am having the same problem with FireFox. I can become a "Fan" but I cannot subscribe and have an email sent when the app is updated. It allows me to check the box (even though the text is grayed out) and I can click the "Save" button, but a blank form comes back and no evidence exists that I am "subscribed". Is there some block put on by the developer or the site? I couldn't find any.

Comment

It an evil website gnome...

Please Read Me

Comment

Not sure, but using Konqueror, I too can check the box to subscribe and click Save.

I believe that your request is actually saved, even though no visible 'confirmation' to that effect is provided. Remember, that the site already knows your email address, as you have to provide that when you registered for an account.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X