This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 4.1 - Now

OK, "new way" required to run Compiz on KDE 4.1.

1. Things NOT to do:

- Open a Konsole window and enter "compiz --replace"
    - Run Fusion Icon and click "restart Window Manager"
    - Place Fusion Icon in the KDE4 Autostart folder
    - Place Fusion Icon on the panel.

2. The right way:

- Open System Settings>Advanced>Session Manager, scroll down to Window Manager, set to Compiz
    - Restart the system

3. Get this result:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.p...o_show&ida=190

or something like it.

Comment

One thing I've noticed here. I'm running KWIN, yet in the repos there is KWIN-KDE4. Which one should really be installed? Also, has anyone had problems with KDM-KDE4? Currently I'm using KDM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
        Also, has anyone had problems with KDM-KDE4?
        KDM-KDE4 crashes here, when run manually from the console. Adept Manager shows KDM-KDE4 is installed, but KDM is what actually runs the display. As far as I can determine, this is "normal" -- i.e. I've followed the official instructions and checked everything as I've gone along with my new HH system here and this is the result. The "greeter" shows me logging into a KDE4 session, the desktop is KDE4, and the display system seems fully functional, including using the Nvidia driver and running Compiz.

Comment

I put klipper.desktop here to get it to load for me:
          Yes and thankx I had to that in the end but. It is not supposed to be there
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Are we the only three testing this here?

My tests have all been very positive. My shortcut keys are back. Video is great (although I still can't set the starting resolution). Samba seems to work now. I think by the time KDE4.1 is released officially it really should help peoples' perception of it. After that bumpy start of the upgrade to Beta 2, I've very much enjoyed this release.

Comment

It's getting better here. Tonight, it's actually running on kdm-kde4 -- I'm not sure when that transition happened. And Compiz is starting automatically (see note above). So except for the Alt-F2 and Dolphin crashing stuff, we're getting pretty close, I think. I burned a DVD today with K3b and there were no issues, and VMware Player is running great. So, I'm optimistic!

Comment

So except for the Alt-F2 and Dolphin crashing stuff,
                Yep. Not being able to KDESUDO from the run box is annoying. Also, I did finally experience the Dolphin crash, but only when highlighting an AVI file. Guess it didn't know how to display the information about it.

Comment

On mine, if you right click in the white space, like you would do to "paste" a file, it will crash every time. Same with Konqueror.

Comment

Just installed KDE4.1b2 on my Gusty, and apart from minor crashes, I love it. I think the new app launcher is very well designed, and Gwenview is a great achievement in user interface. Compiz-Emerald seems to mesh well with KDE4, and there is no problem switching between Compiz and Kwin, but for the sake of trying the new system I prefer to stick to Kwin.

Some problems:
                    1. I cannot find the Folderview Widget, even though I have extragear-plasma installed.

2. Widgets on desktop don't persist between sessions: I have put an analog clock on the desktop, and when I log out and come back, it disappears.

3. I'd prefer KNetworkmanager not start when I log on, but I can't figure out how.

Re: Dolphin crash: Apart from clicking on white spaces, Dolphin crashes every time when I open a folder with more than one avi files.

Comment

Welcome to the party

I cannot find the Folderview Widget, even though I have extragear-plasma installed.
                      Install kdebase-plasma-kde4 that will replace extragear but that is okay becuse that is the "widget holder" for kde4.1

For the rest I am not sure but all my widgets stay put except for the notes widget whih goes small and I have to resize it.
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

As Fintan said - Welcome!

As far as widgets go I haven't had an issue quite like that. When I reboot my Resolution is changed to something lower than what I normally use. This seems to cause my Widgets near the edge to "Disappear", but once I change it back to 1440x900 it "reappears"

Comment

Thanks Fintan, I got FolderView now.

As for the clock widget not staying put, now I got it fixed too. I don't know exactly how: just randomly fooling around with Session Manager and clicking Apply many times. I've found that Session Manager works erratically: sometimes it saves your settings and sometimes it doesn't.

Comment

Re: Dolphin crash: Apart from clicking on white spaces, Dolphin crashes every time when I open a folder with more than one avi files.
                            With the Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex (alpha-1); KDE 4.1 (beta 2)

When i move cursor over an avi (1) file, Strigi (?) is doing it's "magic":

A Fatal Error Occurred
                            The application Dolphin (dolphin) crashed and caused the signal 6 (SIGABRT).
                            and the konsole tells:
                            WARNING: field 'http://rdf.openmolecules.net/0.9#moleculeCount' is not defined in any rdfsontology database.
                            dolphin(6391) KFileMetaInfoPrivate::init: KUrl("file:///media/sdc5/video/Clip/Clip[2007].avi")
                            dolphin: /build/buildd/strigi-0.5.10/src/streams/dataeventinputstream.cpp:30: Strigi:ataEventInputStream:ataEventInputStream(Strigi::InputStream*, Strigi:ataEventHandler&): Assertion `input->position() == 0' failed.
                            KCrash: Application 'dolphin' crashing...

That is (probably) this bug:
                            Bug 164296: Dolphin crash right clicking on a corrupted MPEG file
                            http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=164296

(1) Crashing when avi codec is DivX or XviD. Indeo 3 not crashing.
                            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

OK, not to beat a dead horse here on this particular thread, but, saw some more updates for KDE4 just now. Has anyone had issues with these? I've just got my system stabilized here (to an extent as possible). Some other issues I have an want to know if it's just my system.

1. Log Out Splash no longer shows the moon graphic, just the Log Off, Restart and Shut Down buttons. Anyone else with this?

2. Samba works for all type of cross system share retrival but not for Linux to Linux. I can see the share but when trying to Authenticate to see the files in the share it seems to be stuck in a perpetual loop of wanting Authentication. Anyone else with this? (Samba was one of the Updates mentioned above by the way).

Comment

1. Log Out Splash no longer shows the moon graphic, just the Log Off, Restart and Shut Down buttons. Anyone else with this?
                                Here it is still mooning.

Is it same log out splash, except moon pic ?
                                Or is it Kubuntu logout buttons ?

Moon pic is here (Intrepid) : /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/pics/shutdown.png

Maybe this is working with the KDE4 ? > Topic: grapic at logout (green lizard / drake). KDE4 also has ~/.kde4/share/config/ksmserverrc
                                Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                                X