Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

It's been a month! I'm curious, what did you finally get for her?
    Asking for a friend!
    Well, it's "new" to her, lol.

I upgraded my system which included mobo, RAM, and CPU. My wife has been using a circa 2013 laptop with Win 8 Pro on it and it's starting to show it's age. I had enough parts from my upgrade and various previous builds to offer her a "new" desktop PC by only purchasing a PSU and case. It's my old i7-6700K with 16GB RAM on an Asus ROG "Strix"ITX mobo. When I upgraded my system I moved to NVME drives that were PCIe 4.0 so she inherited a PCIe 3.0 NVME drive and a couple SATA SSD's for backups. The only other component she needs is a second monitor because her work requires two.

Please Read Me

Comment

Good bye Kubuntu 23.04 - welcome Kubuntu 23.10 !
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I downloaded Tuxedo OS but haven't had a chance to play with it. I like the idea that it's de-snapped and uses KDE Neon Plasma! It might be worth installing on another machine!
        Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

So far I have had no problems at all with TUXEDO OS. But I think I will test it for another 9 months or so before I use it as a "main" OS - I am curious what happens in *Ubuntu 24.04 and as a consequence in KDE neon and TUXEDO OS
          IMHO it is definitely worth "playing with".

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I enabled the Tuxedo repo on my KDE Neon install to play with their Control Centre app. On my system the fan control was greyed out and not configurable.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
              On my system the fan control was greyed out and not configurable.
              Probably more specific to Tuxedo's particular hardware. Or, possibly, a missing dep that Tuxedo may include by default via some meta-package, and it wasn't included in the dependency list their deb for the application.
              I'd check if lm-sensors was installed.

oooh maybe this:
              Note: TCC depends on the tuxedo-io module from the tuxedo-keyboard package for some core functionality like fan control.​
              Last edited by claydoh; Nov 06, 2023, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Tuxedo-keyboard was installed as a dependency and I have lm-sensors installed...

I'll have a look when I wake up in a minute....

Comment

I can't remember if just having lm-sensors installed is enough - you might need to actually run its setup: sensors-detect
                  I am almost positive that I needed to run this for all of my systems to have fan speed reporting and control, on my neon, Kubuntu computers and my Debian-based NAS server.

Of course, this can be hardware specific, and sensors-detect checks for everything. pretty much, then adds and loads the appropriate kernel modules.

Comment

I think most of the Tuxedo programs work with their own hardware only - one can use parts of some of them, but I have not found those parts very useful to be honest.

Comment

Thanks for the chart Schwarzer Kater​ interesting info.
                      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I just booted Tuxedo on my Beelink Mini PC and it's the first distro (kernel) to see the WiFi adaptor!

I'll install it when this headache goes!

Comment

Added Kubuntu Focus 22.04 LTS.

Comment

Nice info, thanks for posting.
                            Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              Just to note, Tuxedo is using KDE Neon's repos for it's Plasma.
                              And to note on that, my work PC is similar to Tuxedo pcs and I have KDE Neon installed and use Tuxedo's repos on it. I have Neon but with the pc tidbits needed to ensure hardware works!

System works great!

Comment

One question.
                                With Debian, if you use backports will it upgrade both the Kernel and Mesa?

Comment

Working...
                                X