Test a bootable ISO, CDROM or USB stick using QEMU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test a bootable ISO, CDROM or USB stick using QEMU

I learned something new and useful lately while updating my Multi-System bootable USB stick. You can test-boot an ISO, CDROM, or USB stick from the command line if you have KVM-QEMU installed. It's as simple as:

For ISO/CDs:
    sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -cdrom filename.iso

For USB:
    sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -hda /dev/sdx

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220602_095531.jpg
Views:	1657
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	663369

I couldn't get anything to actually run from this window, but it's a neat and quick way to test something's boot-ability before actually trying to boot to it.

Please Read Me

I was using qemu to load an arm based installer build (to be used on my Lenovo 10e tablet and Duet 5 convertible, but I can't find the exact command lol. Not quite as simple as the above, the string being about half a kilometer long lol, but it is quite cool how much qemu can do.

Comment

You mean like this?

https://futurewei-cloud.github.io/AR...ch-aarch64-vm/

Please Read Me

Comment

No, not quite. Ok, maybe, considering I probably have all the components for arm64 cross-compiling on my PC, for building Cadmium.

qemu-system-aarch64 -M virt -cpu cortex-a57 -kernel tmp/linux-arm64/arch/arm64/boot/Image -nographic -m 2G -serial mon:stdio -append "console=ttyAMA0,115200 root=/dev/vda3" -drive file=mytest.img,if=virtio,format=raw

This specifically calls the kernel image that was compiled from its build location.

However, this seems to no longer work lol! Things have changed a fair bit since January on the Cadmium project, so the docs are probably outdated.
        It has been some time since I was setting this all up some months ago. And I didn't take notes lol.

it would be easier if all these arm and arm64 devices had uefi
        But that is overkill for (mostly) non-plug-and-play System-on-Chip situations.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          I couldn't get anything to actually run from this window...
          With
          Code:
          sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -m 4G -cdrom kubuntu-jammy.iso
          it sort of worked, but very, very slowly. About 10 minutes to the try or install kubuntu choice, and several minutes more to kubuntu running. The snap daemon failed to start, so I couldn't run firefox...
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
          X