This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphical UI for configuring systemd

Saw this on Phoronix today. There exists a KCM (KDE control module) for configuring systemd. Version 1.2.0 was released a few days ago.

The previous version, 1.1.0, is available for 15.04 in the standard repository: install kde-config-systemd.

It contains a packaging bug, though: LP 1445392. kcm_systemd.so gets placed into the wrong subdirectory. A symlink fixes this:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/plugins/kcm_systemd.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/

Nice, I had not seen this one. Thanks for the pointer.

Comment

Hmmm...... what does this knob do?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Hmmm...... what does this knob do?
        Yeah right? I bet I can break it before you!

Please Read Me

Comment

Nice! Do you think this might make its way into a future Kubuntu release (by default)?
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I don't think it is something that a general purpose distro needs to have installed by default, but that is of course open for debate.

Comment

I don't think it is something that a general purpose distro needs to have installed by default, but that is of course open for debate.
              +1

LOL like that new sig

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

It's packaged by Kubuntu already -- observe:
                Code:
                steve@x250:~$ [B]apt-cache show kde-config-systemd[/B]
                Package: kde-config-systemd
                Priority: optional
                Section: universe/kde
                Installed-Size: 613
                [COLOR="#B22222"]Maintainer: Kubuntu Developers <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>[/COLOR]
                Original-Maintainer: Shawn Sörbom <shawn@sorbom.com>
                Architecture: amd64
                Version: 1.1.0+git20150330-0ubuntu1
                Depends: systemd (>= 215), libboost-filesystem1.55.0, libboost-system1.55.0, libc6 (>= 2.17), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libkf5auth5 (>= 4.96.0), libkf5configwidgets5 (>= 4.96.0), libkf5coreaddons5 (>= 4.100.0), libkf5i18n5 (>= 4.97.0), libkf5service5 (>= 4.96.0), libkf5widgetsaddons5 (>= 4.96.0), libqt5core5a (>= 5.4.0), libqt5dbus5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5gui5 (>= 5.0.2) | libqt5gui5-gles (>= 5.0.2), libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.2.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), libsystemd0
                Filename: pool/universe/k/kde-config-systemd/kde-config-systemd_1.1.0+git20150330-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
                Size: 145342
                MD5sum: f6d6bc3a83a25b202c064135ab883f4b
                SHA1: 6d2a29b674f345af92eba47974e2ce2e5ea3a270
                SHA256: 81c621666ef17e9c7ce319f150806ba9abab1d37b21e690afea0a07acd46f1a1
                Description-en: KDE control center module for Systemd
                 This package is a Plasma System Settings module for the systemd
                 daemon.  It is capable of starting and stopping systemd units.
                 In addition, it allows for the configuration of several systemd
                 parameters.
                Description-md5: 3631c192cd4c3902621558ce74bd2c72
                Homepage: https://github.com/rthomsen/kcmsystemd
                Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
                Origin: Ubuntu
                It just isn't part of the default installation.

Comment

Crap!!! Just broke it!!

Comment

Not even buried in system settings? I think KSystemLog comes installed by default, can't you make a similar argument for that?
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

It's a KCM, so it'll show up in System Settings when you install it.

We can't put everything in the ISO. I'd wager that people who are sufficiently skilled to modify systemd can install the package first

KSystemLog is useful to have around when one person is assisting another and needs to see log files. Of course, here on the forum we tend to ask people to obtain logs at the command line so hmmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                        Not even buried in system settings? I think KSystemLog comes installed by default, can't you make a similar argument for that?
                        Because ksyslog doesn't make system changes.

Was there ever a great need for an Sysvinit or an Upstart module before systemd?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          It's a KCM, so it'll show up in System Settings when you install it.
                          Neat

We can't put everything in the ISO. I'd wager that people who are sufficiently skilled to modify systemd can install the package first
                          That's a fair point. I have a really small (dimensions) USB drive with the SUSE logo on it, I was a bit put out to find I couldn't get a <4GB ISO with everything on it, would have been an easy way to remember what it was for! Then again, they do offer smaller ISOs for specific DEs like Plasma, but I was curious to see how the installer works so I wanted the lot.

KSystemLog is useful to have around when one person is assisting another and needs to see log files. Of course, here on the forum we tend to ask people to obtain logs at the command line so hmmmm...
                          Exactly, it would be really annoying if everyone posted images of KSystemLog!

I actually quite frequently get people send me emails containing really high definition, full window screenshots of PuTTY running on a massive multiple-monitor setup (where most of the screenshot is their windows background, not even PuTTY). Inconvenient and wasteful for so many reasons!

Because ksyslog doesn't make system changes.
                          That in itself isn't a reason not to bundle it, there are plenty of programs installed by default that do make system changes, for example KDE Partition Manager, the Plasma NM widget...

Was there ever a great need for an Sysvinit or an Upstart module before systemd?
                          I concede it's not really necessary on a desktop - more useful if you're running Apache on a laptop for testing purposes or something, which is quite a niche case.
                          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X