Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

File operations using Dolphin - Beware the Gotchya!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Modal Dialogs

When Moving, Copying or Deleting files/directories the dialog disappears even when the operation has not yet completed. A progress bar then appears in the bottom right of the screen, this then disappears also, if you want see the progress you need to click a small (i) information icon in the system tray.

New users who are not used to this way of working (and even experienced users) can get caught out by this, if you are Moving, Copying or Deleting large directories then you need to use the icon to monitor the progress of your operation. If you don't then any subsequent actions you do, may well use an incomplete file structure resulting in corrupted files. You have been warned!
    Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 03, 2015, 08:56 AM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Who says KDE is ther best desktop environment for Linux?

Comment

Thanks Snowhog! That little icon in the system tray is handy. I also check the destination and make sure the number of files and size matches the source. I use Dolphin for moving small numbers of files around. For large transfers I use the terminal. I get output with the terminal if a file can't be copied for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nickstone View Post
        who says kde is ther best desktop environment for linux?
        i do!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

i also say kde is the best DE for linux.

if you happen to be using dolphin outside of kde (like i do with razor-Qt) you will get the old style pop up copy dialog. just wondering if there is a way to make that defalut in kde anymore . mighe be useful for some users.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
            if you happen to be using dolphin outside of kde (like i do with razor-Qt) you will get the old style pop up copy dialog. just wondering if there is a way to make that defalut in kde anymore . mighe be useful for some users.
            Yes, if you exclude "file operations and jobs" in the notification widget's settings you'll get a pop up dialog.

Comment

Thank for the tip, and I'm very fond of KDE on linux
              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Hmm that little icon, yes I always keep an eye on it.
                And I didn't/ don't agree with the change a while back from then a pie-chart to now a similar round icon with a linear progression.

Comment

You should be able to click that icon to display a progress bar. It can display at the top or the bottom of the screen. I do that when copying large files that take some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  sigpic

Comment

The default is not the only option

As the sithlord48 & kubicle wrote you could disable the plasma notifications but this is KDE so there are alternative ( more advanced ?) plasma notifications:

USU Notifications

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/?content=158063

Description:
                    Alternative KDE notifications, based on QML and org.kde.notofications, but with more features...

The copy with the default:

With the USU:

The Default/USU:

... and the third option:

Colibri

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=117147

Description:
                    What is it?
                    Colibri provides an alternative to KDE4 Plasma notifications.

Colibri notifications look lighter and are completely passive: they do not provide any buttons. You may or may not like this.

The Colibri is in the Ubuntu repositories - The USU is a plasma script: 'Add Widgets -> Get new widgets...'

Colibri home: http://agateau.com/projects/colibri/ with the Readme

AskUbuntu - Clickable notifications that allow to interact with programs which have spawned them? : http://askubuntu.com/questions/43301...h-have-spawned

Notification settings: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post351287
                    Last edited by Rog132; May 16, 2014, 04:40 AM.
                    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Thanks! Rog132.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                        Me

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                          I don't understand the relevance of this comment to this discussion at all.

To the OP, good tip Paul. I knew this myself, but good idea to point it out to the newcomers. IMO, it allows you to continue using dolphin while the previous task completes so I like it. However, I have been "gotcha"'d a couple times. Usually, I have begun a large operation, like moving several GBs of files in a single operation, then go off to something else - like a browser, then return to dolphin without checking first to see if the previous command had completed. I see folders remaining and think they got left behind and attempt to move them again, which causes errors as you can imagine. I've not had any file corruptions though.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

Originally Posted by NickStone
                            I don't understand the relevance of this comment to this discussion at all.
                            NickStone is a known gnome troll.

- https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post367296
                            - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...birthday-Gnome
                            Try Me !

Comment

NickStone a Gnome Troll?

I don't think so.
                              Sure, according to Scandinavian and Germanic folklore many trolls are gnomes and vice versa

When I got my first install of Redhat Linux it had the options of using the Gnome and KDE desktops.
                              Pretty soon I found out that in KDE I could copy and paste between applications (in the day we called them programs) and Gnome was lacking this sort of integration.

That's what from the get-go has been the underlying difference between Gnome and KDE, integration.

Comment

Working...
                              X