Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grub install failure: small embedding area and Flexnet [a virus by any other name...]

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub install failure: small embedding area and Flexnet [a virus by any other name...]

I decided to upgrade my work laptop dual-boot (with XP) machine from 12.04 to Saucy just to have a look. What else is there to do when compiling two hours worth of stuff (on another machine, obviously)?

The installer failed at the grub install. Hmm. To be expected I suppose since it still is beta. But, like an idiot <insert forehead smack here> I realized this is a dual boot machine, thus grub is required AND I had just wiped my grub files out with the reformat of the old install partition. Icing for the cake: I'm at work without all the resources I have a home i.e. older version of Kubuntu and such. Sigh...

...well at least I still had more than an hour and a half to resolve this. So here's the content of the errors (might be slightly off - memory being what it is and all):

Code:
    /usr/sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Sector 32 is already in use by FlexNet; avoiding it.  This software may cause boot or other problems in future.  Please ask its authors not to store data in the boot track.
    /sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small. core.img won't fit in it..
    /sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
    /sbin/grub2-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
    So it appears I had two issues: Whatever the heck Flexnet is sitting in my boot area and my "embedding" area is too small! That last one kinda hurt my feelings - but that's a different thread.

It seemed that the Flexnet thingy is just a warning, but I didn't like the sound of it. A google or two later and it turns out Flexnet is an "Automated and Optimized License Management for Adobe Products." It seems Adobe has decided your boot sector is just the place to store DRM for their products. Kinda like a professional version of a virus or rootkit - nice. Since I didn't have any Adobe products on my XP install required by my work, it was going to go. IMO, Adobe is up there with Oracle, Symantic, Norton, and a few others as propagators of problem laden bloated software that I just cannot STAND!

It's OK - I'm calm now.

The more serious issue was the apparent lack of space for grub. Seemed very odd as grub (I believe v1.99) had already been working on this machine. Since Flexnet was occupying sector 32 (in part where grub wants to put it's core image) it seems that removing that little bugger would be the beginning and end of this issue - and would have been.

But as I researched, I read that another contributor to the problem was a common issue among XP formatted hard drives. The first partitions were commonly started at sector 63 - the very first available sector after boot space, leaving just exactly enough room for grub. One could surmise that using that absolute minimum space for anything installed isn't a good idea. What if the grub developers add a bit to the core image? I've also read that using LVM and/or RAID will increase your core.img file size as well.

Common practice of late is to begin your first partition at a MB boundary: sector 2048, so I decided to make that happen. Luckily, the live version of Kubuntu "Saucy" has the needed tools to do this. Also lucky for me, the first partition of this Dell laptop is the Dell recovery and was a mostly empty fat32 partition. KDEpartitionmanager, a "shrink and move right" later and I had the partitioning where I wanted it.

Now on to the Adobe Exorcisim!

Again: not too difficult. Using dd I backed up my partition table, wiped the entire MBR area, put the partition table back, ran grub-install: done. No errors or warnings and still and hour left. Enough time for lunch!

For those interested, here's the dd commands that do the above:

Backup MBR and partition table: sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/tmp/mbr.img bs=512 count=1
    Wipeout the previous MBR and following 62 sectors: sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=63
    Restore just partition table: sudo dd if=/tmp/mbr.img of=/dev/sda bs=1 count=64 skip=446

I documented elsewhere in the forum how to do the above, but I repeated the commands for quicker retrieval.

**NOTE ABOUT USING DD** dd can and will (if improperly used) destroy your data. Use with care!

Please Read Me

I found problems with sector 32 a few days ago while researching problems with bootinfoscript. I came across this Flexnet issues:
    Grub2 &Sector32
    Last edited by verndog; Jul 13, 2013, 10:37 AM.
    Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      my "embedding" area is too small! That last one kinda hurt my feelings...

Adobe is...problem laden bloated software that I just cannot STAND!
      You just don't want to share your embedding space with another. So selfish.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      The first partitions were commonly started at sector 63 - the very first available sector after boot space, leaving just exactly enough room for grub. One could surmise that using that absolute minimum space for anything installed isn't a good idea. What if the grub developers add a bit to the core image?
      GRUB has a stage 1 bootloader that fits entirely within the MBR. Its only function is to call the stage 2 bootloader, which is far too large to live there. The stage 2 bootloader does all the work.

Comment

interesting ,,,,,,, nice rite up and info @oshunluvr

bookmarking for a just in case

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'm reviving this year old thread. Today, July 23, 2014, I saw the following message during a grub update following the installation of 95 Neon5 packages and a new kernel.
          grub-install: warning: Sector 32 is already in use by the program `FlexNet'; avoiding it. This software may cause boot or other problems in future. Please ask its authors not to store data in the boot track.
          Installation finished. No error reported.
          I researched it and found a lot of posts about Adobe, Autodesk and other Windows packages using FlexNet as DRM. However, I have not run my Win7 side in months and I have seen several kernel upgrades followed by a grub update since then that did not produce this message. With info I've found, including Oceanluver's removal method, it is easy to remove.

However, my concern is what I read about that product:
          https://www.cambridgenetwork.co.uk/n...manufacturers/
          I'm not against corporations making a reasonable profit, and to "uncover new revenue streams", as long as they don't create those "streams" by their misconduct. This article states:
          FlexNet Connect 2014 helps manufacturers reduce hacker risk and uncover new revenue streams
          "Internet-connected devices powered by software and controlled via licensing and entitlement management systems open up myriad new revenue opportunities. For instance, innovative companies can leverage data reported back by the device on its operational status and behavior to develop new product and service offerings, ... But Internet-connected devices also can open up potential exposure to hackers, so device manufacturers also need reliable methods to monitor for such risks and repair any vulnerabilities that may arise."
          First, I do not have any "Internet-connected devices powered by software and controlled via licensing and entitlement management systems" except this computer powered by Linux, and a VIZIO TV, which is not reached by this computer, so putting FlexNet on sector 32 of my MBR wouldn't make sense.

I replaced Cisco's firmware with DD-WRT precisely because they wanted to plant spyware software on my E2500 wireless router and force me to sign up for their cloud service.

Considering events of the last couple of years and news about the NSA, I am not paranoid in believing that FlexNet on a Linux MBR is nothing more than spyware along with the possibility of remote management and control. A security hole which is not removed when doing repartitions and formatting.
          A new Device Viewer provides advanced reporting on data coming from the device, giving the application producer the ability to perform remote diagnostics or deep product analysis. Data such as device-specific profile information, applications updates or even event data picked up by sensors monitoring the device can be leveraged to trigger revenue-generating opportunities for product upgrades, add-ons or service calls - expanding the device manufacturer's relationship with its customer as well as its profits.
          I do not know which program placed FlexNet in my MBR but I am going to kill it, and if I get any complaints from any software about DRM "rights" that software is going to die as well.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 23, 2014, 12:44 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I chose the option to zero out "Sector 32" instead of all the sectors up to sector 63 and reinstalling grub.
            So far, I have not had a single app complain about my not having "rights" to run it. Steam was the one I thought might have installed FlexNet but it is not complaining. Neither is Java. Don't know who or what put it there or why, but it's gone now.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X