Mount your Google Drive storage and access it with Dolphin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mount your Google Drive storage and access it with Dolphin

Found this recently and thought others might find it useful/ I have Google Fi for my cell and they include 100GB online storage. Since Box dropped davfs support it's no lnger very useful from the desktop so I went looking for other options and found this:
    How to mount your Google Drive.

The instructions include how to do this on Windows also but TL/DR so here's the needed steps boiled down:

1) Install ocamlfuse:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alessandro-strada/ppa
    sudo apt update && sudo apt install google-drive-ocamlfuse​

2) Run ocamlfuse in the command line:
    google-drive-ocamlfuse
    A sign-in window will open in your browser automatically where the user needs to sign-in and provide required access.
    Authorize the ocamlfuse system to access files and folders on your google drive.

3) Make a mount point for Google drive:
    mkdir ~/Gdrive

4) Mount google drive:
    google-drive-ocamlfuse ~/googledrive

You can now open the Gdrive folder with Dolphin and access or add/delete files to/from your Google drive

Unmounting can be done with:
    fusermount -u ~/Gdrive

but at least here, plain ole' umount works:
    umount ~/Gdrive

Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 27, 2023, 05:58 AM.

Please Read Me

Normally, I'd suggest the native KDE tool (kio-gdrive -- may need to be installed) via System Settings >>Online Accounts, but it looks like this recently broke. My existing account still works, but adding a new one won't, or adding my account on a different computer. Seems to be an issue across Plasma versions and distros.
    I recall similar issues with the ocamlfuse tool in the distant past, but the devs were quick to get on it. Who knows when the kio-gdrive folks will get to fixing this current breakage.

I have been using the kio-gdrive option for a few years now. But it isn't useful right now for those wanting to start using it.

Comment

Yeah, I'm aware of all that, thus offering this alternative. I'm hoping it won't break as often or at least the dev will be quicker to fix it.

Please Read Me

Comment

get this when I try;

E: The repository 'https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/alessandro-strada/ppa/ubuntu mantic Release' does not have
        a Release file.
        N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
        N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Comment

Originally posted by brianharr View Post
          get this when I try;

E: The repository 'https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/alessandro-strada/ppa/ubuntu mantic Release' does not have
          a Release file.
          N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
          N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

The maintainer of the ppa hasn't created packages for Mantic yet.

Comment

Working...
          X