This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code:
    git clone git://anongit.kde.org/scratch/dvratil/akonadi-google-resources.git
    cd akonadi-google-resources
    mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake ../ -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix`
    make
    sudo make install
    sigpic

Comment

I'm running Kde 4.8.90 which I believe is the 4.9 beta

According to this

http://www.progdan.cz/2012/04/akonadi-google-0-3-1/

The google akonadi resources are part of 4.9. If I install libkgapi from the ppa referred to I get the parsing error. If I remove it I don't seem to have google calendar as an option. I am confused.

It may be that the parsing error is caused by a conflict caused by having both libkgapi and 4.9. If it is, I'm just wondering what of the other options I need to use to connect.

FYI my kontact version is 4.9 beta 2

Edit: Actually - scratch that - if I uninstall libkgapi there is no change.

Further info if it helps. I am trying to access a calendar held in my private .co.uk address registered as a google app. To see whether that made any difference I tried adding the calendar in my generic gmail name. I got quite excited when I saw my details on screen but I got the same error message when I tried to get akonadi to connect to it.

One other point - does akonadi need to access a specific port that I might have closed in the firewall?
      Last edited by The Liquidator; Jul 26, 2012, 04:25 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Devs haven't built kdepim-runtime against libkgapi for now, but i have
        You can find* 4.9 RC2 here
        https://build.opensuse.org/project/m...AKDE%3AKubuntu
        For adding it to sources list you need to
        Code:
        wget http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/sumski:/KDE:/Kubuntu/xUbuntu_12.04/Release.key
        sudo apt-key add Release.key
        and add
        Code:
        deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/sumski:/KDE:/Kubuntu/xUbuntu_12.04/ ./
        to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/obs.list
        and the usual
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

*Can't guarantee anything, but installed it on my sister's and girlfriend's Precise install, and there hasn't been any issues
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator View Post
          One other point - does akonadi need to access a specific port that I might have closed in the firewall?
          Shouldn't have to worry about this. Google Calendar implements CalDAV (sort of), which runs on good ol' HTTP(S).

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Shouldn't have to worry about this. Google Calendar implements CalDAV (sort of), which runs on good ol' HTTP(S).
            That's what I did initially when I tried it the first time - Korganiser wiped every entry in the google calendar (12 years worth of stuff). I later found out it was a known bug. I was rescued by a backup but did lose a few days data. As you can probably understand I am a bit cautious on this now, but having exported the calendar so I now have a copy on the hard drive I'll have a play maybe with both options.

@ sumski

If I follow your instructions, for which I thank you, what would actually be upgraded? Would I be right in assuming this be a full KDE upgrade?

Comment

Almost, haven't updated "less atractive" modules.
              You can find available packages here:
              http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...u_12.04/amd64/
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator View Post
                That's what I did initially when I tried it the first time - Korganiser wiped every entry in the google calendar (12 years worth of stuff). I later found out it was a known bug. I was rescued by a backup but did lose a few days data. As you can probably understand I am a bit cautious on this now, but having exported the calendar so I now have a copy on the hard drive I'll have a play maybe with both options.
                Google's deviations from IMAP and CalDAV standards mean that using third-party clients always entails some risk. I got so sick of having to futz with Google's protocol changes that I'm now running my own calendar server. Currently I'm using DavICAL, because I wanted to check it out. Previously I used OwnCloud, which also worked fine.

And here's the beauty of standards: using KOrganizer, I exported my entire calendar from OwnCloud into a vCalendar file. Then I connected KOrganizer to my DavICAL instance, imported the vCalendar, and every event appeared -- all time zones were correct, repeating events repeated exactly as before, basically it just all worked.

I have been very happy with my little home server. It's running:

* Postfix for SMTP
                * Dovecot for IMAP and sieve rules
                * DavICAL for calendar (CalDAV) and contacts (CardDAV)
                * Roundcube for webmail
                * TT-RSS for feeds
                * Webmin for management
                * PostgreSQL as the back-end database
                * BIND for DNS

I will probably rebuild this thing once more, just to get a little more experience configuring a Ubuntu server. I should write up my config, I guess.

Comment

@Steve Riley

Whilst I would love to be able to accomplish something like that I'm afraid I would fail on a couple of counts:

1. I don't have a server as my entire computer hardware consists of a 6 year old Centrino Laptop and a work-provided Galaxy Note
                  2. In my line of business "computer skills" are sadly defined as being proficient in Word/Excel/Outlook etc. I am sufficiently senior however to mean that the IT department tolerate and respect my wish to use stuff like Libreoffice/firefox instead of the MS equivalents. However, I don't think that qualifies me to be an expert, so I wouldn't know where to start with your solution even if I had the server.

Having looked I have been unable to find anywhere I could use where I could use my .co.uk e-mail address, use both my mail and calendar from my laptop, phone and work (by the web) - aside from Google. So it looks to me that I am stuck with it, hence my renewed interest in kmail, following the recent announcements about Thunderbird.
                  Last edited by The Liquidator; Jul 27, 2012, 06:43 AM. Reason: added a bit

Comment

Update:

I just received an update of akonadi-google and wow! it works!

I'll have a go with it now and evaluate it.

Comment

With great fear and trepidation I performed this update (given the mess I made with the Xorg update). I have to say, so far I'v VERY happy. Kmail is actually working as it should (akonadi seems to be way better) and google connections are also working fine.

Thanks so much sumski.

Peter.

Comment

Ahhhh its broken. Last update seems to have removed most of KDE and I'm struggling to get it back again. It got as far as kdm and the blew up.

I have managed to get some of kde reinstalled, but so far no no wireless for example. Some packages so far are not able to install.

HELP

Peter

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I now have most things working, but the system is telling me that the package system is broken. When I try and install, say kdeutils, it tells me it can't because of a mix of 4.8 and 4.9 packages it seems. Any ideas how to fix this? 4.9 seems to be SO much better in general.

Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by pnunn View Post
                            I now have most things working, but the system is telling me that the package system is broken. When I try and install, say kdeutils, it tells me it can't because of a mix of 4.8 and 4.9 packages it seems. Any ideas how to fix this? 4.9 seems to be SO much better in general.

Peter.
                            Hi!
                            You'll still still need kubuntu backports PPA for the packages i haven't built. I upgraded seamlessly
                            sigpic

Comment

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou, I missed that step. Now all back up and going great, synaptics even works correctly now YAH...

Kmail seems to be fixed, Synaptics touch pad working great (actually more to the point, not working when I'm typing which is what I needed) and all is good.

Comment

I'm glad you solved it
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X