X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installing Kubuntu, step by step

Originally posted by peter b1
    hi whoaiam55

re install guide. I have win2000 and xp64 pro installed already and free space available. what would happen if I want Grub installed on linux partition?

basically I want to keep the existing dual boot win2000-xp64 pro setup as it is now (with existing boot.ini, ntdetect and nldr where they are) AND have linux installed on the free space on an extended partition with grub installed there.

would grub be able to see the existing setup AND the linux and give me the choice of selecting either win2000/xp64 AND linux? the reasons are quite simple -if anything goes wrong on either win world or linux world the two are completely separate and the damage so to speak would be contained to only one 'world' either win or linux. I hope you see what I'm driving at.
    Peter b1
    On my vista/xp + kubuntu install, it detected my vista/xp as one and kubuntu as another. If I chose the vista/xp, it goes to Vista's boot.ini, allowing me to chose either vista or XP (like a second bootloader). Give it a shot, but GRUB will definately find and add your windows installs to your boot list, it's just a matter of how (having to bootloaders like I did, or straightbooting to either XP or 2000 or Linux)
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

check this nice installation with screenshots http://www.debianadmin.com/kubuntu-6...reenshots.html

Comment

Originally posted by whoiam55
        I wrote this little tutorial on installing kubuntu, for users who don't have much experiance with linux, but want to move to linux. I hope this tutorial will help those guys comming from windows environment. I used a dual boot system.

here is the article
        http://whoiam55.at.preempted.net/?p=18

Hope this will help you.

Comment

It took a little longer than I thought on (re)evaluating what's new in the linux world since Libra's demise, which, by the way I used for quite some time and finally I had to abandon because of obvious reasons. (Libra had an excellent partitioner -one of the main reasons I opted for it at that time).

so, all said and done, I decided to give a whirl to Ubuntu and Kubuntu to see which I like best, I like both. I will not get into the nuts and bolts on this post as of why, both worked to my satisfaction.

Related to this old post of mine and Nirvana's answer, both distros allowed a pretty good setup of the HD (just a NOTE here, ubuntu allowed anything I wanted, separate partitions for home, user, vars etc., while Kubuntu wanted all free space for itself to be partitioned and formatted otherwise it would kick-back with errors) - they allowed and performed the partitioning and installed grub where I wanted, that's the partition where linux lives -key condition in my situation.

Now, having both installed -one on a 386 platform (Kubuntu606) dual booting with w2000 while Ubuntu610 lives happily on a amd64 platform again dual (triple?)booting with wxp and wxp64 - I can say for sure and without a doubt that grub implementation on both distros is v good; it keeps each 'world' in its place and separate of each other; would one fail the others still 'survive' unscathed.

Before ending this message, I consider very important to say, for everybody interested, that all the above described exercise was carried out with THE ALTERNATE DISRO of both - only these distros allow placing the boot where the user DESIRES. However, one has to be quite familiar with this kind of endeavours before jumping head first so to speak.

Regards and cheers,
          peter b1

Comment

I am a total beginner, but I got the Kubuntu Live CD and loaded it to my Dell Optiplex P4 2000 because I wrecked Windows 2000. My computer was slowing down, and I tried using a Windows Cleaner Program and it wiped out my Windows Startup files, while removing unused network files. I don't have the Windows 2000 CD, and I had planned on switching to Linux, but this made it immediate.

So now I have loaded the Kubuntu Live CD and arrived at a screen which reports everything (ok) (except one hardware item). There is then the usual data information, warrenty statement, and the bottom of the screen reads:

To run a command as administrator (user "root") use "sudo <command>" see "man sudo_root" for details.

ubunto@ubunto:`$

I have read tutorials, and do not have the necessary knowledge to know what to do next. I never got the usual setup instructions. The CD ran, and when it stopped, the above is what I got.

Comment

Originally posted by Locoster
              So now I have loaded the Kubuntu Live CD and arrived at a screen which reports everything (ok) (except one hardware item). There is then the usual data information, warrenty statement, and the bottom of the screen reads:

To run a command as administrator (user "root") use "sudo <command>" see "man sudo_root" for details.

ubunto@ubunto:`$
              From your description I'd conclude that the LiveCD cannot start the X-environment (GUI) and you're stuck in the command line interface (possibly because of the single hardware problem). To be sure, try pressing 'Ctrl+Alt+F7' to see if you're just stuck on the wrong virtual terminal.

You could try starting the LiveCD in 'Safe Graphics mode' in the boot menu. Or you could try installing with the 'Alternate Install CD' (which is a text-mode installer). You should also 'Check the CD for defects' to be sure.

Do note that if the LiveCD can't start the GUI, it might be a hardware problem/incompatibility that may not be fixed if you install kubuntu (So you may not get X out-of-the box)

Also posting any error messages you may get during the boot might prove helpful.

Comment

Hello,
                I have the kubuntu Version 6.06 on a cd.
                I wanted to install it in my laptop having an AMD Turion 32 bit processor.
                I am trying to boot my computer from the CD and have Kubuntu installed.
                All i get is the welcome (options) screen and then the screen goes blank with no advancement.
                The processor gets stucked up and nothing happens.

Is there some problem at my end or is it just the CD ?

Comment

Good Evening!

I have tried to obtain a copy of your Installing Kubuntu, step by step but when I click on the link, I go to a site called wordpress.org. I have registered with them but can seem to get your document.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

kb-linux

Comment

can you post it in another link? so that we can download it or view it.

thanks.

Comment

Sorry guys, my site is temp. down, you can find an extended version of that tutorial at http://distroguide.box.sk/index.php/Kubuntu
                      cheers!
                      -=|From the desk of|=-
                      «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
                      «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
                      «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
                      Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

The new link WORKS !

Comment

thanks with this tutorial on on how installing kubuntu, its very helpful i will try this

Avelyn
                          WebMaster

Comment

Originally posted by whoiam55
                            you can find an extended version of that tutorial athttp://distroguide.box.sk/index.php/Kubuntu
                            If whoiam55's link above doesn't work, you can link to the guide here.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

For those who can use the "Live CD' option, and no other, that they may find a problem'....try........installing it, via the "lLive CD" option.
                              This should, at least, install the 'grub' (Start-up) files. for you......to start a proper install.
                              The "Live CD"...does give you this option.

For those having a 'hardware problem'.....well, Linux 'favors' nVidia (for Graphics) and Creative Labs(for Sound).

What do you have? (Make the necessary adjustments...to your System.)

IF the 'problem' arises, from when you get it installed (seems to start Loading, then sits there 'blinking back at you!)...Please! Restart, and watch monitor-screen, closely...................for a line, top left "Chose Menu Option".

You have to the count of 10, to get into it. (Follow the Prompt's advice, quickly.)

You have 4 'options' available to you, TRY either the 2nd or 3rd. (For your hardware problem.)
                              One of these will get you going again.
                              (IF it does not, it means...you chose the wrong one! Simple solution here, REBOOT, and select the other.)
                              Linux does take it's time loading, so be prepared for a bit of a wait.

Oh, and another thing to well aware of!

Use a PS2 keyboard/mouse....for the installation (even if you are using USB).
                              Lap-tops, I'm not sure of. You have to do, with what you've got, I'm afraid.

If an "X" shows up on screen, you are almost there!
                              IF you can MOVE mouse, the X will move.

The 'Installation' process.....begins Left top. (Takes upwards of 5 minutes, depending on your System.)

For those using the BIOS 'install method'.....set your BIOS's 'Boot Sequence'.....to CD-ROM (1/first)...........whatever you 'displaced' as the 1st opyion NEEDS to become 2nd option. (IF it is 'missing'...from BOOT-UP sequence, the LINUX installation MAY fail. Will continue to do so, until you rectify your mistake!)
                              Your installation...will proceed......as 'above'.

Need a 'reference-point'...print this out, to help you.

Comment

Thanks this will be very helpfull
                                <br />

Comment

Working...
                                X