Clear All

[SCANNER] Document Scanner saves file but file cannot be seen

Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
    Qt Version: 5.12.8
    Kernel Version: 5.4.0-42-generic
    OS Type: 64-bit

Using gscan2pdf - I can save a scan into the document folder - and immediately see it there.

Using Document Scanner 3.36.3 from Canonical - the scanner saves the file in the document folder, but the file cannot be seen in the document folder. However when I search for the named file in the folder search box, the document is brought up in the search result. When I check the path, it is in the document folder but the document folder does not show it. When I move the file to another directory from the search result then it is seen in the new directory. But at the same time it shows it in the previous search result (the document folder) - when I delete it from there, I get a message it cannot be found (obviously it has been moved to another directory) but nevertheless it show the file as being there.

What is the problem, is the Document Scanner not working properly or is something else not working properly or both? Since gscan2pdf scan results can be seen in the normal way, it points to the Document Scanner having a bug or being part of the problem.

Does anyone know a solution?
    Last edited by blueberry; Sep 14, 2020, 07:00 AM. Reason: typing error

Sounds like a file manager refresh problem. The problem might you're expecting the file to appear instantly in your file manager.

When you say "cannot be seen" what are you using to "see" it? If you can't "see" it, how are you moving it?

Try using konsole. With your document folder open in Dolphin or whatever file manager you're using, scan a file then in konsole type: ls ~/Documents

If it's there in konsole but not in the file manager, hit F5 when using the file manager and see if that allows the file to show up.

Please Read Me

Comment

I use Dolphin directory system. When I open a folder I can see all the icons of all the files save in that directory for example to click on them to open them or move etc. When I say it cannot be seen, I mean I cannot see an icon and file name for the scanned and saved file in that directory which is normally in the documents folder. So the icon or file name cannot be found directly in the folder by looking at the folder when opened, as one can do when a folder is open and a file is saved into that folder (directory).
      With gscan2pdf this automatically happens and I can immediately see the file in the folder and click on it to work with it.
      I prefer Document Scanner's interface but with the document scanner it does not happen automatically. The file is saved but graphically not represented in the directory (documents folder).
      I have tried refresh it does not work but sometimes by opening another (a new) instance of the documents folder, the file can be located inside it. Sometimes it does not work even in that way. So I click on search in dolphin and give the name of the saved file. Then the file's icon comes up in the search result. The search result shows as an independent directory; so if I give part of the name, the search result brings up many files from various directories that include that particular file just saved by document scanner. I can open it or move it from the search result.
      But the above behaviour only happens with "document scanner" not other scanning interfaces or other applications.
      Yesterday in one instance after scanning with the document scanner, the file was seen in the normal way in the directory, but in other instances, scanning had the same problem.

Comment

If Dolphin opens a new folder tab or window, your're not "refreshing" the view. You're doing something else. To refresh, with the window in question selected, hit F5

Please Read Me

Comment

I suspect the problem is that "documents folder". I think you're looking at a virtual folder, like the search results or the recent documents.

The search results are just a list of files, as are the recent documents, and the lists can get stale, unless something tells dolphin that it's changed... dolphin's notion of changes to these lists is limited to that told to it by other parts of KDE, and that "g" at the beginning of "gscan2pdf" indicates it's a Gnome app, and does not sent out KDE messages. In my experience these mechanisms are clunky and prone to the errors you report.

As well the search results in dolphin are dependent on the baloo file indexer, which only runs periodically, every few minutes. I don't like baloo. (The urge to rant, yet again, is strong...).

If you get dolphin to look at a real folder, it should have no trouble. Dolphin "watches" the folder (using the inotify API I think) and when something changes, like some non-KDE app writing a file in it, it should see it without need for a refresh.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

F5 for refresh was a good tip for me.

In my computer environment:

A file saved by gscan2pdf is seen by dolphin without the need to refresh (but in my case it works slower and sometimes freezes... so I prefer document scanner).

A file saved by "Document Scanner" which is also part of the gnome project does need refresh to be seen.
            Although sometimes even refresh does not work in which case I have to search for the file and move it from the searches virtual folder; only on a few of occasions the file was seen without the need for refresh or by opening a new instance of the document folder.

Unfortunately the default scanning application "Skanlite" does not save in PDF format so I have uninstalled it.

Comment

Xsane can save as pdf, though I have no idea if it will have the refresh issue you are experiencing.
              This is the moat widely used linux scanner software, and does have a lot of bells and whistles.

Comment

And why did you decide to start using Document Scanner instead of gscan2pdf? I think gscan2pdf offers all the functionality you need.

Comment

Personally, I use Simple Scan (package "simple-scan") for almost everything unless I am doing hi-res photos, slides, or negatives. Then I use the Pro (paid) version of VueScan.

Basically, if I'm using my HP all-in-one scanner: Simple Scan. If I'm using my CanoScan 8800F photo scanner: VueScan.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X