This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB bugs

That’s the bad news. The perp has to have physical access to the PC while it is up and running.
    http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2017/11/06/8
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Curious that most of these "exploits" primarily cause a system crash. Not much use to a thief. Also, I'm running 4.13.0-17 so I'm ahead of these anyway

Really, is there any security that can't be defeated by physical access? I supposed if you run full encryption, always shut down when you're not seated at the keyboard, check all your USB ports are empty before powering up, and don't write your password down anywhere, you might be safe from all but a gun-to-your-head scenario.

Honestly, the vast majority of these reports don't really matter much to do they? Probably 90% or more of what you have on your computer worth stealing can be obtained elsewhere - hacked financial websites, etc. Of course, companies have larger concerns, but my bank and credit card statements aren't really of much value.

Interestingly, the primary source of info used for personal identity theft is your trash. Buy a shredder and use it. Mine's next to my trash can and I shred anything with an account number on it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Honestly, the vast majority of these reports don't really matter much to do they? Probably 90% or more of what you have on your computer worth stealing can be obtained elsewhere - hacked financial websites, etc. Of course, companies have larger concerns, but my bank and credit card statements aren't really of much value.
      I agree with you. They don't matter at all. For the real serious stuff, like my bank login name, password and answers to specific questions the only location they are stored in is my gray matter. I don't let my browser store any passwords to my financial accounts. I may forget a password on occasions but there are key things in my life that I will never forget and they are never written down, so re-accessing those accounts is trivial.

As far as someone putting a gun to my head ... with todays lax law enforcement and trivial punishments for capital crimes, especially for the seven protected classes, even if you gave them the access info they'd probably still kill you thinking that they would be eliminating eye witnesses to their crime. That's how stupid most thugs are. So, I'd say "blast away". *shrugs* My heirs already have access to all our valuables and money that we haven't already outright given to them, and durable financial and medical powers of attorney.

In 19 years of using Linux I have yet to be hacked, although many have pounded on my back door trying to get in.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 08, 2017, 04:41 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        ... although many have pounded on my back door trying to get in.
        And, not receiving any reply to my poundings, I left in disgust.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          And, not receiving any reply to my poundings, I left in disgust.

Comment

Working...
          X