Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my OpenSUSE leap system, I use borgbackup via vorta on /home and btrfs snapshots to roll back any bad system update.
    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      That seems onerous. Is it a laptop? Single drive systems are always a PITA to backup IMO. Lately, with all the computers I use, I've switched to keeping all my data files on a 2TB USB drive and backing it up to my server once in a while (monthly unless I feel a greater need). No personal data files exist on my laptop so I don't bother backing it up at all - only snapshots. My desktop and server both auto-snapshot daily and auto-backup weekly.

Next time I stop in Montgomery, I'll buy you a beer and we can argue about discuss file systems and backup strategies.
      Onerous, no. Certain, yes. Your system set up is not like mine. I don't have a separate server anywhere, other than my desktop unit itself, nor do I feel the need to do that. I have an "incredible" 95GB of personal stuff including email, pictures, videos, docs, spreadsheets, address books, etc.

Before I endeavored to start on the backup journey, I simply didn't do it. Then one day I did something very stupid and lost probably 75% of everything. The applications were easy - just a normal reinstall - I was good. The rest of it was generally irreplaceable. I had some addresses on pieces of paper, and was able to call around and eventually I was able to rebuild all but about 10% of what I had before in that address list. Not to mention all the other stuff I lost and had to dig through piles stuff to find. Then I started doing what needed to be done. I'm still not worried about applications, I don't wander very far from the LTS world, so a simple clean install works. It's collecting all the other stuff, most of which is very difficult at best to replace and some of which is literally irreplaceable that worries me.

I've have had USB drives go bad. I can stand that from time to time. So I keep more than one on hand. It just so happens that as I've started moving to SSDs that I have a couple of decent spinners and USB enclosures that can be put to use.

I mention BTRFS snapshots here because that's what BTRFS does - and it does do that quite well. I don't know how your system is set up, but by default BTRFS writes snapshots to the source disk. That's fine, it makes it easy to rollback, if a rollback is needed. I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to use BTRFS - it's that user's choice. It's NOT the only part of a good recovery or restore plan when things go very wrong. If a disk dies and data cannot be recovered, that data is gone, unless it is backed up elsewhere. If a motherboard dies and in doing so leaves a disk in an unstable condition, and the data cannot be recovered, then the data is gone, unless it is backed up somewhere else.

I'm on the Mint forum,also. And the big deal over there is the Timeshift application. I have no problem with Timeshift. By default it writes shapshots to the source disk. The newbies think TS is a wonderful product, until they can't use their shiny new Mint because someone told them to use TS, but failed to tell them HOW to use TS. Again, by default it makes snapshots of application and OS changes, which is wonderful for rollbacks. And while it CAN be configured to backup user data from /home, the newbies don't know that and so they think their "data" is safe. Well it's not. I had some "discussions" over there, and the conversations have changed.

I'm sorry if you feel like I have disrespected you in any way, or that there needs to be something made right between us. I don't think anything is wrong. You have a tremendous grasp of Linux, and you make your own choices as to why and how you use it. Me - I have learned and have a lot to learn. There are things I will do in and with Linux, there are others that I don't and will not do. I have done the research I need to do and BTRFS is not for me, but I have no problem if it is for you.

Linux provides the means to make choices in computing, and I make mine everyday. My brother is tired of Windows, I suggested Kubuntu, but he has already talked with his step-son and will likely go Red Hat. And I'm fine with that choice. In fact if it weren't for (a very much older) RedHat 5.2, I would likely have just gotten very sick of Linux based on my experience with Slackware and the high-nose adherents to that steaming pile. That 5.2 was beautiful thing and lead on this path to Kubuntu, primarily, and Mint (very) secondarily.

If we run across each other, I'll be happy to tip a brew or two with you
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I enjoyed your above post and we just view/do things differently. Not a problem for me at all.

I did want to comment about this part:
        Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
        I'm sorry if you feel like I have disrespected you in any way, or that there needs to be something made right between us. I don't think anything is wrong. You have a tremendous grasp of Linux, and you make your own choices as to why and how you use it. Me - I have learned and have a lot to learn. There are things I will do in and with Linux, there are others that I don't and will not do. I have done the research I need to do and BTRFS is not for me, but I have no problem if it is for you.
        In no way do I feel slighted by our occasional "point:counter-point" discussions nor have I felt attacked or dismissed by you in any way. Civil discourse is a requirement for learning and we have shared a lot of back and forth on this particular topic. If anything, I was trying to be funny in my comments but did a poor job apparently. I think we both completely understand each others' views on the topic of BTRFS and respect our differences on the topic.

Now, let us draw our swords keyboards and resume the Battle Of The File Systems! Huzzah!

Please Read Me

Comment

Civil discourse! That's part of what I love about this forum. The art of disagreeing without being disagreeable.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Civil, indeed.

I'm making an early New Year's resolution here to wit:
            - In order to no longer bring on the wrath of the BTRFS gurus,
            - In order to provide advice from only my own experience,

No more will the words "snapshot", "rollback", or "BTRFS" be uttered or writ within this forum by my hand!

Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I just ignore/skip over/bypass/eyes-glaze-over the whole topic

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                I just ignore/skip over/bypass/eyes-glaze-over the whole topic
                What he said!
                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

I think the OP is MIA, probably a drive-by posting?

Comment

A "target for effect" moment

Comment

Working...
                    X