This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Backup

Is there any method of backing up ENTIRE system including all individual program settings?
    (Having to re-apply all custom settings on a re-install would take forever)

Currently using DejaDup to back up files and folders.

Program settings, your personalizations related to programs, and all your irreplaceable data files are located in the /home directory. There are many backup programs such as Grsync and Lucky Backup that do a fine a job of backing up that area. Just make sure you back up to an external USB or network drive of some sort. That external drive has to be one that is not installed in your system and preferably a drive that is not mounted at boot.

You will hear of solutions that take snapshots of changes to program files and some configurations, and those are valuable processes, too. But those snapshots are intended to return your system to a specific previous state after applying a change, and are not intended to provide a means of capturing and recovering data and personal files in cases of system failures.

There are lots of opinions on how to backup, frequency of backing up, and tools for backup. I use the command line program rsync to capture everything in /home, including the "dot" files and directories. And I have set of four hard drives in USB enclosures that I use on a rotating schedule. I don't always need to restore files, but when I do it's a relief knowing I can get back everything that I have including configs and those irreplaceable docs that I created.

Welcome to KFN, and enjoy Kubuntu!
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

All your application and desktop settings and the like are kept in your home directory. Many simply back up the entire thing. You have to make sure that you are backing up the hidden files and folders there as these are where all the config files etc live.

Another backup strategy begins with having a separate partition for /home. This means an OS install or reinstall won't wipe out you user data and settings.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Exactly on the partition separation part
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Depends on the file system also.

Please Read Me

Comment

The ELEPHANT in the room is BTRFS!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There's some good info around here on backup, if you have the time to look. Quickly, there's How-To section:
              https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forumd...hp/57-How-To-s

E.g., Rog131:
              HOWTO: Copy kubuntu system

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php/10610-HOWTO-Copy-kubuntu-system

Or use, say, Google to search using a search string like this:
              site:kubuntuforums.net backup
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yes, GG, BTRFS is an elephant

But the snapshot activity is not a complete backup plan, it is a point in time restore point for changes to processes when that change introduces instability.

Comment

Clonezilla.
                  I have Kubuntu installed on a 90gb SSD and every once in a while I copy it to a 120gb SSD.
                  I used to clone it to another 90gb disk but I got confused once and cloned it the wrong way...bummer.
                  Makes a perfect copy of a place in time.
                  If any catastrophes happen just unplug the 90 and plug in the 120.
                  I just leave the 120 in the bottom of the computer.
                  Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

I have four 320GB drives in USB enclosures. I use (rsync -auv <source> <target>) to backup /home to each drive on a rotating cycle. I haven't had the need to restore everything in a long time, but I know as soon as I stop doing this, something bad will happen to /home - or worse - and I'll be and

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                      Clonezilla.
                      Clonezilla is what I've been using for years. It creates a 100% exact image of the specified target.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                        btrfs... But the snapshot activity is not a complete backup plan...
                        For backups, the btrfs way is send/receive. Incremental send/receive is so light (for most desktop usages, I imagine not all) that it can be run very frequently, to keep a full backup to another file system, say on another drive, up to date. The same can be done efficiently with rsync and friends, but for protection from things like incorrect deletion* or overwriting, snapshots on the backup are needed.

* my speciality
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Yes, GG, BTRFS is an elephant

But the snapshot activity is not a complete backup plan, it is a point in time restore point for changes to processes when that change introduces instability.
                          Seriously, again? How many times do we have to go over this? All I did was ask a question directed at supplying a correct, easily done, and simple answer. Please point out a single post anywhere on the forum where anyone claimed a btrfs snapshot was a backup and I'll explain it to them like I have you in the past . The only person on this thread that's used the "s" word is you my friend!

The OP question was "Is there any method of backing up ENTIRE system including all individual program settings?" If the file system is btrfs, there's no need for all the rigmarole that using backup software entails, as you well know.

[EDIT: JLittle gave a very succinct and accurate response just above, however without first knowing whether or not btrfs is in use, the point is completely moot. Which is why I posed my short simple question.]
                          Last edited by oshunluvr; Nov 27, 2019, 12:32 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                            Clonezilla is what I've been using for years. It creates a 100% exact image of the specified target.
                            We use Clonezilla every day in an Enterprise environment. Works like a charm and we save a TON of man hours.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have four 320GB drives in USB enclosures. I use (rsync -auv <source> <target>) to backup /home to each drive on a rotating cycle. I haven't had the need to restore everything in a long time, but I know as soon as I stop doing this, something bad will happen to /home - or worse - and I'll be and
                              That seems onerous. Is it a laptop? Single drive systems are always a PITA to backup IMO. Lately, with all the computers I use, I've switched to keeping all my data files on a 2TB USB drive and backing it up to my server once in a while (monthly unless I feel a greater need). No personal data files exist on my laptop so I don't bother backing it up at all - only snapshots. My desktop and server both auto-snapshot daily and auto-backup weekly.

Next time I stop in Montgomery, I'll buy you a beer and we can argue about discuss file systems and backup strategies.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X