This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop PC Market ...

I have been under the impression that Desktop PCs are dinosaurs of the past. Lately, I have noticed, though, how lively and energized the DIY market seems to be, vendors making an effort to lure, educate and sell DIY-ers. There is a lot to choose from, if you happen to be building. Today, I got this in the email,

"1 Million PCs Sold Every Day": Desktop PC Market Thriving Despite Tech Shortages

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ov...a84e7dc248cdb6

I find this interesting. Toward the end of the article, the analysis concludes also that the Desktop market may get customers from the laptop market, for the reasons they cite there.

Of course, at this age, I'm not sure how many PC builds I have left to go, but it's good news at this point that the Desktop market is alive and well, even above and beyond the gaming market (which, of course, is a prime driver).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

In my use case, while I love my HP laptop, I actually use it like a desktop. It spends almost all of its time on my desk.

I still have a good desktop unit, but it's in the closet right now.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

People have been at home more, and working more from there, perhaps highlighting limitations of cheaper laptops/Chromebooks and iPads for some things.
      Also it is probably the only way to get a decent GPU than purchasing a card separately right now, and often much cheaper.

My 2016 era rx480 that I got just before the pandemic cost me ~$95 including shipping. I can sell it right now for ~200 apparently
      https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...sacat=0&_sop=1

Comment

Gamers, bitcoin miniing, graphic artists, etc. Laptops are simply not powerful enough and too expensive for some tasks.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X