X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Award Winners

2020 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Award Winners

Desktop Environment of the Year - Plasma Desktop (KDE) (35.54%)
    Video Authoring Application of the Year - KDEnlive (44.44%)
    File Manager of the Year - Dolphin (29.39%)
    X Terminal Emulator of the Year - Konsole (23.25%)
    Clipboard Manager of the Year - Klipper (52.73%)
    PDF Viewer of the Year - Okular (37.40%)

Text editor of the year went to vim.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Too bad Kate didn't win text editor of the year. It's MY favorite.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 18, 2021, 07:07 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I give a +1 for the Kate editor also.
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

The comments below the post are worth a read. Some good opinions and points there I think. I for sure have some differing votes;

KDENLive? I stopped try to use that years ago so maybe it's better. I could never get more than a few minutes between crashes, even after trying multiple releases of it.

Kate is pretty good. Almost as good as Notepad++ for Windows, which is the best text editor I've ever used. I'd vote for it. I don't see how it's in the same category as vim. Is there a GUI version of vim? Only old or crazy coders use vim, LOL. At least that's what I tell my team at work when someone brings up vim. Every try to walk a illiterate computer user through a simple edit using vim over the phone? Almost impossible. Nano beats it hands down in my world.

Ocular is OK but still lacks some features. I end up using poppler utilities sometimes. I'd vote for it but there's not a lot of competition.

I freakin love Dolphin. I add many of my own features to it. I'll never understand why people stick to Krusader with its 1990s interface. I loved Xtree-Pro as much as anyone, but that was the 80s man, get over it.

I didn't know there were alternatives to Klipper. I guess that means I like it.

Yakuake is my terminal love. IDK know if it's actually a separate program from Konsole or just a different presentation. I use yakuake every single day. I reserve using Konsole for a big project when I need lots of desktop space. I have it set to fill my whole second monitor.

Please Read Me

Comment

I still use vi/vim whenever possible, ever since the '70's at AT&T Unix PDP1170, on a VT100 terminal.
          Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
            ...ever since the '70's at AT&T Unix PDP1170, on a VT100 terminal.
            Thanks for validating my point! ROFL

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
              I still use vi/vim whenever possible, ever since the '70's at AT&T Unix PDP1170, on a VT100 terminal.
              That makes me feel a spring chicken, only going back to the 80's.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                Kate is pretty good.
                Yes, it improves every year, and what it does do, it tries to do really well. But there's still massive gaps. Scripting is still too hard and limited, and the ecosystem is minimal as yet. Macro recording? Python, Lua, etc. integration? Arbitrary mappings and text objects?

Is there a GUI version of vim?
                Been using gvim since the 90s. Very clunky back then, still clunky now.

Only old or crazy coders use vim
                I joined a team of four developers last year, all in their mid twenties, and two were using vim. Maybe we're all crazy.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

I only use vi when I can't get to the desktop and need to edit system files. Which to be honest hasn't happened in years. So Kate is my editor of choice.

Comment

@Oshunluver, IMO, I've found that OBS is greatly superior to KDENLive.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      Too bad Kate didn't win text editor of the year. It's MY favorite.
                      +1 on that!!

Comment

Working...
                      X